Worst case scenario of internal damageGeneral

Last Updated:

1. Dewprism

Dewprism Active Member This Topic's Starter

So today I dropped my phone, really my fault but i am curious as aside from the exterior cosmetics being scratch or broken ( Which mine are not, thankfully ) i did a little searching online but unable to find a "dumbed down" version of what exactly can happen with the insides of my Incredible when I drop it. Aside from moving parts inside the phone is there anything i can break in there from dropping that will ruin it's performance?

Advertisement
  2. TheCowGod

TheCowGod Well-Known Member

Probably nothing. As far as I know there are no moving parts in the phone and im sure everything on the circuit board is soldered or epoxied. I would think that as long as it turned on afterwards it should be fine.

Dewprism likes this.
  3. INTREPID-NY

INTREPID-NY Well-Known Member

No. Most solid state electronics must work perfectly for the device to function. An intermittent fault (from a cracked circuit board or solder point for example) would also become evident. You should know by now if you broke something. Compare this to a typical hard drive where damage may not become apparent for some time.

Dewprism likes this.
  4. mrjerryk

mrjerryk Well-Known Member

Besides just checking to see if the phone powers, check the camera. I dropped my iPhone down the stairs a few months ago and now the camera won't work unless I hit the phone on it's side a few times.

Can't wait until I can order my Inc.

Dewprism likes this.
  5. ashykat

ashykat Well-Known Member

Most (if not all?) modern smartphones don't have moving parts. They use flash memory, etc. Plus I'm pretty sure they do a lot of testing for this stuff. I remember when the Nexus One was coming out there was a video of all the stress tests they ran on it, including one that simulated several drops, a crazy amount of button pushes on the trackball, one that pushed on the center of the screen to show how much it could bend. Kind of a neat video, and since the N1 was made by HTC I would assume they do something similar with most of their phones, especially something as high end as the Incredible.

Dewprism likes this.