Worst Software you remember?

1. mikedt

mikedt 你好 Guide

I've not seen that at all when running Ubuntu. Wonder if it's a regional thing, something that happens in the US. Wouldn' be much point in having Amazon integration when one is in China. :rolleyes:
  2. OverByter

OverByter Resident Slide Rule Guru

Please don't flame me, this might be a little close to the bone, cupcake was really bad. :p
  3. mikedt

mikedt 你好 Guide

Like this...
    [​IMG]

Of course that was back in the day when most of us only had 56k dial-up modems. I frequently see buffering now on non-Chinese streaming websites.
    9to5cynic likes this.
  4. OverByter

56k? I remember when I bought a 1200 baud and couldn't find a BBS to dial into without falling back to 300, it's rough staying on the "bleeding" edge. :banghead:
  5. nickdalzell

nickdalzell Well-Known Member Contributor

I remember when forums were simple message boards where every response was a separate link and instead of mods we has sysops
  6. NYCHitman1

NYCHitman1 Gun for Hire Guide

iTunes. Yeah, I said it.
  7. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin' Moderator

Apple software in general is like a parasite on windows computers. You download iTunes, and next thing you know, you've got QuickTime, Safari, and possibly more apple programs. They also seem to bog down any PC they're installed on. I might be a little biased though.:p
  8. saptech

saptech Well-Known Member

Lotus Notes is pretty terrible, even though it's still around.

I had a 1200 baud modem also with Tandy F1200 Laptop, only 2 floppy drives. I was using Compusa and then Prodigy.
  9. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Well-Known Member

10. cjr72

cjr72 Well-Known Member

Yeah and they got really bad with bundling third party applications with their installer. Whenever I see that now with other software it always reminds me of Real Player.
  11. olbriar

olbriar Moderator Moderator

GeoWorks was a Dos shell prior to workgroups. I have a friend that had it installed and then relied on me to fix her stuff. It was near impossible to drop to Dos and the on-board tools were a complete joke.

If you thought AOL was bad, did you ever try Sierra's wannabe online service?

Early software that worked well considering they were Dos scripts. Commo.. an early BBS communication software and EzReader.. a .qwk reader.
  12. mikedt

mikedt 你好 Guide

Of course he does, after all it costs real money to develop, support, host and maintain something he's giving away for free. AFAIK Dash is proprietary to Canonical distros, like Ubuntu and Kubuntu.

Ever noticed how the browser's default home/search page is branded and customised as well, whether it's Yahoo, Bing or Google. Canonical get's paid by the search and advertising companies, to bring you Ubuntu users to their sites. And if Bing is paying more than Google, Bing is made the default search. Same with Linux Mint.
  13. Alt230

Alt230 Member

Windows 95 et seq. After the deployment of the registry what was left was an unstable Apple/Mac. Looks more and more like those of us that went IBM made the wrong choice. Linux is too limited in the commercial application world. If all I did was email, games and office apps I'd definitely be in Linux.
  14. zuben el genub

Mine isn't on XP. Bing's in the Hosts file, I use Iron rather than Google, also Opera. I search using Duck Duck Go. I've got Startpage and Duck on the phone, too. There's Dogpile and IXquick. I use FX ESR. I have FX and TB ESR on Ubuntu, too. Dash got deleted. I don't use a home page. I use about:blank
  15. mikedt

mikedt 你好 Guide

Here's one that's very close to home.... :smokingsomb:
    [​IMG]
    Airpush....almost as bad as Bonzi Buddy and Gator?

Attached Files:

16. nickdalzell

nickdalzell Well-Known Member Contributor

Airpush unlike BonziBuddy and Gator are easier to detect and remove though

I never used Android Cupcake but I did start with Android Eclair--lets just say it wasn't my preferred way to b introduced to the Android OS

and lets just say that ICS isn't winning any praise from me with the addition of these useless annoying dialogs

[​IMG]
  17. MoodyBlues

MoodyBlues - Crazy peacock person - Guide

:confused: WHAT noise? :confused:

Okay, I'm being a smartass. Did you seriously not know that you could mute the modem's screeching sound by sending appropriate signals to it? Granted, I'm a UNIX/Linux person, but surely this was possible in the DOS/windoze world, too, right?
  18. Drhyde

Drhyde Well-Known Member

Probably Windows ME. The hurting still hasn't gone away from that. The Samsung Behold II was so atrocious it almost turned me off Android before I got my Nexus One.
  19. mikedt

mikedt 你好 Guide

Yeh there was. Although I always left the modem negotiation noises on, but quiet. So I could hear if there was a going to be successful connection or not. Rather than just waiting in silence for an eventual successful or unsuccessful connection.
  20. OverByter

Those were the days, Hayes AT commands and S registers!
  21. Skyroket

Skyroket Well-Known Member

Netscape navigator...
  22. mikedt

mikedt 你好 Guide

23. zuben el genub

Navigator wasn't that bad. Seamonkey is its successor. At least Navigator didn't call every freaking thing "MY" I hate "MY" I've changed that bit of nonsense to "yes, master"
  24. mikedt

mikedt 你好 Guide

Yeh, that can often happen when ICS is running on cheapo underspecced tablets and phones. Thing is ICS and JB actually requires higher specced hardware than Eclair, Froyo or Gingerbread.
  25. MoodyBlues

MoodyBlues - Crazy peacock person - Guide

SeaMonkey is my main browser, plus I use its e-mail and newsgroup clients.

I've customized my SeaMonkey so each tab has its own color. There used to be an add-on that did this, I think it was called "Colorful Tabs," but it stopped being developed for SM [and stopped working on newer versions of SM], so I did my own tweaking.