Worth Getting?General

Last Updated:

1. Jebus

Jebus Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Verizon is doing bad here in North Dakota, *sad* so I might have to go with AT&T or Sprint. And since most of my family is going with AT&T, I might as well then.

My question is...Is this phone worth getting? I don't want an iPhone either.

Advertisement
  2. csreborn

csreborn Well-Known Member

I got one from AT&T with no contract and returned it. The touch on the keyboard was the worst I have ever owned, and I have had almost everything..

Basically I would hit a button on the keyboard and it either wouldn't register, or it would pop up the key like it did but not input it. Then using the numbers button to switch to numbers would take 2-3 pushes to make it work. I tried the live demo when I returned it and same problem.

The screen colors did not impress me, Android 1.6 :/, and AT&T only gives you a 2GB SD card. I did like the form factor of the phone though, wish it had the Captivates hardware inside, and stock 2.2.

3. biker74

biker74 Well-Known Member Contributor

No, dont get it, worst phone I've ever had. Go for the HTC Desire or similar.

4. Brumbjorn

Brumbjorn Active Member

It is fast, and I use Timescape daily, as it gives me a nice Facebook overview. The camera is nice, and that is the reason I chose x10. Took surprisingly good night photos the other week. That is has 1.6 is not an issue for me, and I dont understand why ppl shout about that. The big screen drains the battery, but a 4 inch screen is the right size imo. My old phone I could use a week, this one I have to charge at least every other day. If you dont like the keyboard, get another one. There are others. If you want to game and play old nintendo games on it, the lack of multitouch might be an issue. I play other games, and then it doesnt matter.

5. BingoRingo

BingoRingo Well-Known Member

Since I installed the HTC keyboard I really like it, I think it has a great potential. For the battery, it uses about 25-30% per day when you don't use it much. Battery life increases by a lot after the first two weeks I've noticed.

I just wish I could use the full potential of the hardware with better software, this is why we're all pissed off.

Look for the specs, choose the best phone that can run 2.2 if possible, and make sure you're comfortable with the voice/data plans or the company, unless you want to buy it by yourself.

6. rosered

rosered VIP Member VIP Member

+1 on the htc keyboard altho the stock keyboard got better after the last software updates. If you do get it I would recommend getting on to the Sony Ericsson Update Service (downloadable from SE website under support) and getting the latest firmware altho your new AT&T ones may ship with this anyway - but worth a check.

It also depends what you want to use the phone for too. I am a texter / facebook / browsing with the odd phone call mainly on the cars bluetooth facility. The sound can be a bit poor in a noisy environment, you only have to look round on the various forums to see people moaning about it, having said that many say its fine.

Everyone is really hung up on the 2.1 issue but I'm not sure it will make much difference to me... just give me even more choices on the app market and I'm pretty overwhelmed by it at the moment anyway!!

I just loved the feel of the phone in hand and it is quite nice to look at too. My main competition over here was the HTC Desire and I sat for ages in the shop playing with both but came down on the X10 and honestly haven't regretted it.

7. tinkk

tinkk Well-Known Member

best phone i've ever had and its getting even better thanks to android updates soon :) it lags a little with 384mb ram next to desires 512mb, and has ~100mb less free at any given time, but it still has more than enough to play psx4droid with its 1ghz processor,

only flaw with the camera is the automatic flash, but that should be getting fixed with 2.1, along with HD video recording, pictures and video being a big thing for me this was a deal maker

as for the keypad, stock and android default keypads are fine, im using swype atm and i have no use for the other 2 at all since i can type faster with less effort on one thumb

the only downside i think is that the giant screen eats up a bit of power, and a couple of apps seem a little less flashy because they are spread out more, so really it comes down to how much media means to you, x10 is awesome at video and taking pics and video, whereas desire seems to run slightly smoother and has a nicer feel to it, but i'm optimistic the speed and layout bonuses of 2.1 and possibly 2.2 could balance this out :)

8. carmendiva

carmendiva Well-Known Member

I have a Droid X but i might switch to At & t for the Xperia 10

I actually had been wanting and liking the phone since it was first announced...

Personally i think it is a good phone from the reviews i have seen, i just wish that more ppl in the US had it but up until recently it was only unlocked and just sold through At & t like yesterday so i understand why....

9. Merolas

Merolas Well-Known Member

Don't listen to all the crap people giving try it and if you don't like then return it. This is by far the best phone i ever had. Sleek desing and huge screen it worth getting it. Anx for the keyboard thing :it has been fixed with firmware 020 it's way better now

10. carmendiva

Its ashame it doesn't have multi-touch
    that is a bit archaic

I kind of want it....

But then i think about it having 1.6 and i'm like hmmmm....

Is this phone rootable?

11. Finde

Finde Member

I have never had a problem with this touch screen. IMO coming from an iPhone, the touch screen is far superior to that of the iPhone (excluding multitouch of course) but the key presses etc.

I love this phone. I love the design the feel everything. Everyone complains about it only being 1.6 and to be honest I am looking forward to it but all the people that complain saying 1.6 is crap are a bunch of w*nks. It does everything I need perfectly.

Same as people that complain about the screen, I compared it to my mates Galaxy S and sure there is a slight difference in the screen but it's really not that noticeable. The people that complain about it merely complain about it because it doesn't have it. Again, a bunch of w*nks.

Ultimately the choice is yours but it is a really nice phone and once we get custom roms which is inevitable, it will be a lot better and stop all of the whingers.

EDIT: Yes the phone is rootable. Install Universal Androot and press Root then your rooted :)

12. carmendiva

Technically, i never had 1.6

i had 1.5 on Hero and Eris but i've since had an Evo, Droid, Droid X and a Incredible...currently using the Droid X

But i imagine that 1.6 isnt much different from 1.5

The only reason i ever hated anything below 2.0 was because of the hardware of the devices i have used. The Hero/Eris were god awfully slow which made me hate 1.5 and then i soon realized even with 2.0/2.1 they were still awful..

From the reviews i have seen on youtube, it looks pretty snappy with minimal lag even on 1.6 so i hope if i decide to get it that it is worthwhile and a good phone

13. Merolas

Merolas Well-Known Member

The phone is fast... if you don't use the TimeScrap app...

14. carmendiva

well from what i read, launcher pro and adw seem to make it faster...even using timescape?