worth it to get an android tablet now or wait for android 3.0?

Last Updated:

1. AlphaWhelp

AlphaWhelp Member This Topic's Starter

I was thinking about getting something like this: Amazon.com: Zenithink 10" Touchscreen Android 2.1 Tablet (ePad): Computer & Accessories but I was wondering with news buzzing about the soon to be android 3.0, is it worth getting now or should I wait for 3.0?

Also does anyone have any insight onto how that pad actually works? I've demoed a few pads that had a very unresponsive touch screen, you really had to press on them hard for it to work.

Does anyone have any recommendations for an android pad? I would like something 10 inch like the one I posted in the link.

Advertisement
  2. ckeegan

ckeegan Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say it's necessarily worth waiting for 3.0, but I would definitely wait to see what is unveiled at CES in the first week of January. I would expect quite a few Android tablets to be announced, and the vast majority should put what's available now to shame.

3. jtbnet

jtbnet Well-Known Member

That link it for your basic ZT-180 tablet which has a large thread to read here... and larger section with Many threads to read about over on slatedroid...

http://www.slatedroid.com/zt-180/

$249 even with free shipping is now a bit steep for these tablets (I have 2 of them) as even on Amazon they can be found for $204.99+5.49 shipping and if ordered straight from China they have been seen as low as $140+shipping...

Wiht the very latest firmware these are pretty decent especially for the price... plays avi/dixv video really well from sdcard... runs most apps respectably... but they are no longer bleeding edge... some folks complain about resistive touch screen... I found it works okay and really well with a stylus...

4. xmr405o

xmr405o Well-Known Member

@jtbnet Just noticed, you have a lot of tabs haha. Are you going to put them all together and make a 27 inch mega tab. jk.

If you can wait then I would wait because the tabs next year will be awesome but I don't think any of the good one's like Moto, HTC, LG and Samsung will sell for less than $499 without a 3G plan. So, I would just keep that money until after the first couple of Honeycomb tabs come out. However, if you can't wait...at least buy a tab that has a processor that can be potentially upgraded to honeycomb officially or non-officially.

5. Hajile_Ibushi

Hajile_Ibushi Well-Known Member

A it is, Android tablets are actually fully functional so it's okay to get one now. However, these are the individual companies interpretations of what they think is supposed to go into a tablets. Archos and galaxys presentations are very well done even tho Google hasn't actually released the specs on real Android tablets.

The real tablets won't actually be here for another six months. If you can't wait that long, you atleast won't be making a mistake getting either of those two.

6. xmr405o

xmr405o Well-Known Member

This is entirely my opinion...if u or anyone are looking to buy a tablet now..it would be wise to look at the processor and RAM. Google hasn't released a definitive list of features for honeycomb but you can probably bet that it is going to require faster processors and more ram for that OS to run smoothly. So all these low cost tablets with less than 512 mb of RAM running old processors below 1ghz, will probably not see honeycomb or even gingerbread. so you can buy a tablet now but look towards the future too and try to see if the tablet u are buying has specs that can be gingerbread/honeycomb capable so u can at least get the most out of that tablet. One other thing to look for if the tablet has dev support.

7. Vipfreak

Vipfreak Well-Known Member

Resistive screens = FAIL

Anyway, I have an Archos 7o. No regrets. Don't really care about future updates because I'm happy what I can do with mine now.

8. Hajile_Ibushi

Hajile_Ibushi Well-Known Member

Fact of the matter is, while the others are hacking and rooting to get their tablets working and putting up with it hoping for something that they're not even going to get for months, i'm pretty much enjoying mine right now without needing to go into geek mode :p

9. ArthurIhde

ArthurIhde Well-Known Member

I would not wait such a long time, but it's up to you.[​IMG]

10. barneystuta

barneystuta Well-Known Member

I have recently opted for the Archos 101, just waiting on delivery. I wouldn't pay more than

11. Vipfreak

Vipfreak Well-Known Member

It may not be a big deal to others, but I'd like to see any other tablet as thin and light as the Archos tablets for the price while still having decent performance. It's one of the reasons for a tablet IMO anyway.