• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Worth taking the plunge on the evo v?

sammart57

Lurker
Feb 14, 2013
Greetings all, I am a htc one v owner, and the phone is getting laggy/slow.
I was thinking about upgrading it to the evo v since it's on sale now for $139 but wonder if it is worth it to do so.. if you all had phones that needed upgrading, would you get the evo v, or wait until the next gen comes down the pipe?

The evo v is a great phone but if it was me I would actually wait for the next phone. Virgin mobile usually comes out with different phones around summer time and I'm fina start saving because I think they will come out with the s3 since the s3 is old and they bout to release s4. Virgin mobile usually get good phones after they have been out for awhile. But hey that's just me

Upvote 0
I personally would buy it. It's ridiculously cheap (IMO, and considering what I paid for it) for the value you're getting for it. It may not be high-end, but it runs very well. No one really knows what phone is coming next, and if you wait and it's not something you want, you'll be disappointed, and have wasted your time. Knowing which LTE phone we will be getting (Samsung Galaxy Victory), I would still get the Evo V. If you're on a very tight budget and can manage with your current phone for a while, then wait, if you must have the latest. Otherwise, this phone is a great deal, even if you only use it for a few months and sell it after. I'm going to hang on to it until something that's significantly better comes along, because I feel like this is my first VM phone that I am satisfied with, with where it is currently at (radio issues resolved, ROMs to choose from, etc.).

Upvote 0
thanks for all your replies guys, they're much appreciated. For those of you who've owned the one v, (or similar generational phone) does the evo v completely blow it out of the water?

How does it run for you all on a daily basis? (super quick, smooth, etc?) is the battery life really as bad as I'm hearing?

also fatwallet has 17.50 cashback for purchasing through them @ VM.com...
so total price would be $122.. So I guess what I was asking is is it THAT big of a jump over a one v to justify dropping $120 when I don't really NEED a new phone.. just want one :)

Upvote 0
I never owned the One V. My last phone was the LG Marquee, and this is a definite improvement over that. Smoother, quicker, better in every way. (I just loved how light that phone was, and the screen was very vivid and bright.)

I had almost 300 apps on my phone, and it still ran pretty well. I recently wiped everything, and now have 95 apps, and it is very smooth. Battery life is bad for me, but then, I'm on the phone a lot. I browse a lot, text, call, use some apps. It doesn't last me more than a few hours. Unless I'm not using the phone as much that day- with JuiceDefender and some other options checked off, it should be ok in standby, if you have a decent signal.

With the extended battery (3500 mAh), I am happy with the phone. It tripled the battery time, at least. It makes the phone heavier and bigger, but when I know I won't be around outlets, it's fine.

I say treat yourself to a delicious new phone. :p

Upvote 0
The evo v is a great phone but if it was me I would actually wait for the next phone. Virgin mobile usually comes out with different phones around summer time and I'm fina start saving because I think they will come out with the s3 since the s3 is old and they bout to release s4. Virgin mobile usually get good phones after they have been out for awhile. But hey that's just me

None of those phones will be close to $130. The GS2 was $329 a month ago.
OP, if your budget is $300+ then wait. If it's half that, get the evo.

Reactions: sammart57
Upvote 0
There's no "best." It's personal opinion. A lot of people like midnight, harmonia, and mobs though. Personally? Viper for me.

I haven't tried Viper yet. I'll add that to my list of things to do. 3D works on Viper? I read somewhere they they need to rename it from Viper 3D as the 3D doesn't work. Perhaps that was an old post, and it works now...

Upvote 0
I haven't tried Viper yet. I'll add that to my list of things to do. 3D works on Viper? I read somewhere they they need to rename it from Viper 3D as the 3D doesn't work. Perhaps that was an old post, and it works now...

You can view 3D, but 3D camera doesn't work

Edit:

Also just so everyone knows, the reason its named Viper3D is because of the device it's for. There's also ViperX, ViperS, etc.

Upvote 0
It depends on your VM coverage. If you get good signal in your area, then you most definitely make the jump to the Evo V. Check around with anyone you know that has a VM phone though, and don't go by the coverage map on line.
But if the service is not up to par, then a great phone on a crappy network is not worth it.

^This is also a valid point.

Reason I haven't gone to T-Mobile with a One X+? Poor service.

Upvote 0
That's also the reason I did.....go over to T Mobile with the S2. I can finally get coverage indoors, plus I'm paying $5/MO less, as I hardly talk over 120 minutes a month anyway.

$500 for an S2 off contract? No deal. There are more than a few former t-Mobile customers around here and I am one of them. I used to have a prepaid account where I bought 1000 minutes for $100 and had a year to use them up. I used about 150 and the rest disappeared because someone hacked their system and made fraudulent charges. T-Mobile could not care less.

Sixth letter of the alphabet to them.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones