Would A Kyocera Charger Have A Weaker Current Than Our Vibrant Charger?Accessories

Last Updated:

1. DavDroid

DavDroid Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hello,

I use a Kyocera charger on occasion, but I noticed something recently. When my Vibrant was plugged into the OEM charger the back got hot, but when I took it off and put it on the Kyocera charger the back was no longer hot. Does the Vibrant charger use a stronger current, therefore making it hotter than if I use the Kyocera charger? It's a lower end Kyocera that was purchased from MetroPCS.

Thank you!!

Advertisement
  2. howetechnical

howetechnical Well-Known Member

Compare the specs on the label of each charger and you'll have your answer. What you want to look for is the voltage and amperage.

FYI: Never charge a phone with specs other than what the manufacturer recommends, which is what will be on the OEM chargers. You risk not only frying your battery, but your device as well...and in some rare cases, other worse outcomes.

DavDroid likes this.
  3. DavDroid

This is only of course if the charger has more amperage than the OEM charger, correct?

Thank you!!

4. w_bovine

w_bovine Well-Known Member

It's the voltage that matters most. USB uses 5 volts (I just charge with my computer all the time), though howetechnical could likely give a better idea of any, if any, variations in USB voltage output. A wall charger might be rated at 5 volts but put out a bit more. I've seen 5 volt chargers put out better than 6.5 volts.

DavDroid likes this.
  5. DavDroid

I don't have my vibrant charger with me, but the kyocera charger says that the output is 5V DC 350mA. How does this compare to the factory charger?

Thank you!!!

6. w_bovine

I don't know what the rating of the factory charger, but the Kyocera one sounds fine for general use. Again, it's the voltage that's most important. I think the output for a USB port is 100mA and I use that almost exclusively to charge my phone. 350mA is fine. Stop fretting! :)

DavDroid likes this.
  7. howetechnical

That should be fine. Bovine is correct in saying it's the voltage that matters the most, however the amperage matters as well, just less-so. Basically, try not to use cheap knock-off chargers as they'll typically do what Bovine mentioned and spike up to 2v higher sometimes, which could do some damage (again, could...not would. The risk is yours). I frequently use my extra BlackBerry chargers with the Vibrant and those are rated at 5.0V/550mA, so yours just might take a slightly longer time to charge.

The basic thought here is, just as you wouldn't want to try and recharge a AA battery with a running car and jumper cables, you don't want to overload your battery's PCB (the control board) with too much voltage.

DavDroid likes this.
  8. w_bovine

Hey...maybe we can get Mythbusters to try that one! They seem to like explosions. :)

9. DavDroid

Man, and I just bought a charger from DealExtreme...5V 1000mah...I thought that would be safe as someone on here recommended it and I've seen a lot of chargers being sold with that voltage and amperage.

Thanks for the help guys!!!

10. howetechnical

Haha, that would be one myth busted as the frequency rate for such explosions is so low. On the other hand, there are confirmed explosions that have happened, some fatal, that may tip the scales.