• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Would a new sim make a difference?

New SIM is not needed, if you don't need new SIM card services. Newer SIM card have more memory (so for example you can save 200 contacts instead of 100 on the SIM, but contacts are saved to phone on Android, so it doesn't matter). New SIM can hold programs, for example for banking, so you can control your account from the phone directly (availability depends on operator and bank), access weatherforecast or news (but there are lot of programs to do it on Android, it was useful on old phones without operating system)

Reactions: Deleted User
Upvote 0
Its the phone that deals with the HSDPA/3G etc, not the sim card. Shouldn't make a difference really. Could give it a go and see if you get any improvement, but I highly doubt you'll have any noticeable differences.

Not to be rude, but this is wrong. You absolutely need a SIM that supports 3G in order to use the 3G/HSDPA network. Technically, it is called a USIM (UMTS SIM), but it does look like the normal SIM card we are familiar with. The whole system uses different authentication and encryption mechanisms. IIRC, 3G hit the U.K. in about 2004 so you might just have an old one that supports 3G.

FYI - My Orange SIM from 2002 will not let me use 3G

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones