Would a new sim make a difference?Support

Last Updated:

1. Faqade

Faqade Active Member This Topic's Starter

Hi, I was just thinking about my sim card (Orange UK) and whether it would be a good idea to request a new sim as I've had this sim for nearly 8 years I think now. Would it make any difference to the signal and/or the performance in any way or is it not worth it?

Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. kejlyCZ

kejlyCZ Well-Known Member

New SIM is not needed, if you don't need new SIM card services. Newer SIM card have more memory (so for example you can save 200 contacts instead of 100 on the SIM, but contacts are saved to phone on Android, so it doesn't matter). New SIM can hold programs, for example for banking, so you can control your account from the phone directly (availability depends on operator and bank), access weatherforecast or news (but there are lot of programs to do it on Android, it was useful on old phones without operating system)

Faqade likes this.
  3. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

I'm surprised that it's even capable of 3G/HSPDA if it's that old! My own was less than 2yrs old when I got the Hero a year ago and Orange themselves insisted on a new one with the handset. I'd get onto Orange right away and request a new SIM.

Faqade likes this.
  4. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

I've heard about people having to upgrade SIM cards to get the new data services, so I think Slug's right.

Don't forget, you can always transfer your number to the new SIM :) Should be really easy if it's on the same network too.

Faqade likes this.
  5. Faqade

Faqade Active Member This Topic's Starter

Cheers for the replies. Yeh I guess it is a bit suprising that it's working with 3G etc, I have had a few text sim updates over the years so maybe that's kept it ticking over. I'll get on to Orange on Tuesday and see about a new one. Thanks :)

6. Fozzy

Fozzy Active Member

Its the phone that deals with the HSDPA/3G etc, not the sim card. Shouldn't make a difference really. Could give it a go and see if you get any improvement, but I highly doubt you'll have any noticeable differences.

7. robogo

robogo Well-Known Member

Something related happened to me on my carrier (Tele2). I had an older SIM card which required more voltage to work properly and it just wouldn't work in my Hero. I went to Tele2, gave three signatures and waited for 5 minutes and got a new SIM which works just fine.

8. clobber

clobber Well-Known Member

Not to be rude, but this is wrong. You absolutely need a SIM that supports 3G in order to use the 3G/HSDPA network. Technically, it is called a USIM (UMTS SIM), but it does look like the normal SIM card we are familiar with. The whole system uses different authentication and encryption mechanisms. IIRC, 3G hit the U.K. in about 2004 so you might just have an old one that supports 3G.

FYI - My Orange SIM from 2002 will not let me use 3G