Would AT&T make the Desire less desirable?

Last Updated:

1. ray_smuckles

ray_smuckles Member This Topic's Starter

There is talk of AT&T locking down parts of Android on the newly released Moto Backflip. ASSUMING the rumors of AT&T scoring the Desire for the U.S. are true, I wonder what the chances are that they would give it the same shoddy treatment..

AT&T Warning: Motorola Backflip Isn

Advertisement
  2. damuffinman

damuffinman Well-Known Member

Why not try and get it SIM Free? I know you'll have to hand bundles of cash over to get hte phone, as opposed to getting it for a small price, but think of the savings you can make by not being stuck on contract...

3. ray_smuckles

ray_smuckles Member This Topic's Starter

Well, assuming it does come to AT&T , I will probably just get a Nexus1 and load it up with the Desire ROM because I am quite happy with my current service on T-Mobile. But I put the possibility out there as something to be concerned about for anyone either currently on or considering switching to AT&T should they offer the Desire. Hopefully AT&T wouldn

4. BiGMERF

BiGMERF Well-Known Member

if it does goto att then i would expect the same treatment the backflip got, i know the prospect of them doing it is sad

5. Maxx

Maxx Well-Known Member

as long as we can get it with AT&T 3g working we can root it and put vanilla android on there. Screw AT&T and their junk.

6. t-readyroc

t-readyroc Well-Known Member

Exactly what I was going to say. Except for the vanilla Android part. I'd prolly put a vanilla Desire ROM on there (Android + Sense). This is what root'ing your phone's for, boys 'n girls :)

7. ZOMG$n1p3r24

ZOMG$n1p3r24 Active Member

When is the Desire coming to AT&T anyway?

8. Lukehluke

Lukehluke Well-Known Member

Before the end of the year.

Probably soon though :p

9. maerlim

maerlim Well-Known Member

AT&T has said they're going to have 5 Android devices by the end of the first half of 2010. They're advertising that they'll have devices from HTC, Dell, and Motorola. So far what we know is they have the Backflip from Moto, and the Dell Mini 5 is the only device from Dell that's coming out (so that will probably be the Dell device). That leaves 3 unknown devices, at least once of which will come from HTC. As the HTC Desire is the only HTC device that exists in AT&T's 3G network range, it's an obvious choice.

TLDR: Anytime between now and June 30th.

10. damuffinman

I reckon that the impending lawsuit between Apple and HTC might change things slightly...

11. maerlim

Actually, I don't think so. As far as I've heard there's no injunction associated with the lawsuit. Apple hasn't asked HTC to stop doing anything. At worst, HTC will have to make modifications to Sense, or Google will get involved and have to make modifications.

Even that stuff is probably months or years down the line. These patent-related lawsuits never go quickly.

12. Lukehluke

Does that only effect the US?
    As it shouldn't effect europe?

13. maerlim

Magic 8-ball sez:
    "Difficult to tell"

14. damuffinman

Probably the US only. AFAIK the ITC has no jurisdiction outside of the US, and markets outside the US are more willing buy phones unsubsidised, so if HTC loses the lawsuit I can only imagine them not releasing their own top of the range phones in the US - if consumers in the US want them they'll have to import, that sort of thing.

15. Lukehluke

Thats good for us outside the US but I dont think Apple will stop them doing anything within the US :)

16. maerlim

I really think Apple is just firing a warning shot across Google's bow here. Don't expect much to come out of this.

17. TriGun206

TriGun206 New Member

Can you buy this phone unlocked and if so will it work on the rogers 3g network?

18. bulldog147

bulldog147 Well-Known Member

Apple is pure simple 'selfish and profit money' just like Microsoft! Google and open source are the best! Hope this will not affect in UK next ? If they did, I shall take the phone back and complaint. It still within my full right of purchase with open source HTC Desire by google! Get lost apple (hand off)

19. Nimbus79

Nimbus79 Well-Known Member

Please in the name of all that is good and holy AT&T do NOT turn the Desire into another "crapflip".... just because they are in bed with Apple for another few months doesn't give them the right to lobotomize another andriod phone!

Oh the irony for Mr jobs... to become that which he hated so much...