• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Would be something nice to see

DirtyDee

Android Expert
Mar 18, 2013
Detroit Michigan
Since going gsm I was confident in metro legacy as the most affordable LTE network would persist. I lauded the idea of under 100 dollars "4g" non LTE phones, thinking that isn't the right direction for metro. Now that I am a T-Mobile user no longer a metro subscriber and I look at the constant fire sales. 29 after rebates and slashed in store. It looks great from here, I even enjoyed the rebate wait (citation needed). I took a long winded approach to my point.

What would you like to see from metro in the future, near and far. What can metro do to become more.

Near future I see refurbished devices on the site unbranded their own and tmobile. Far future I have no idea I can't even fathom two years from now, a year ago I wouldn't had thought I would be here over thousand post and learning the basics of android. If I could see that far into myself how can I see that far into the carrier that started it all with me. Well one thing is quite sure if metro stays its course I will return her, being the phone savvy snob authorized dealers loath, well I see them still being them.

So tl;Dr what you think the future holds for metro what would like to see

with talks of sprint mergers and tmobiles price hike, i honestly wouldnt be surprised if in a few years people are going to be logging into a different website to pay their bills. tmobile also owns simple mobile and i cant imagine they would like simple mobile, metropcs and their own prepaid all fighting for customers

Upvote 0
with talks of sprint mergers and tmobiles price hike, i honestly wouldnt be surprised if in a few years people are going to be logging into a different website to pay their bills. tmobile also owns simple mobile and i cant imagine they would like simple mobile, metropcs and their own prepaid all fighting for customers

Honestly I feel the would save more money with less names in the hat, iirc before the merger metro was number 5 in the country so it had brand recognition. Simple mobile I don't really know much about it straight talk I know about. Simple I over looked at walmarts

Upvote 0

American movil owns simple not t mobile. American movil owns tracfone straight talk net 10 ect ect ect also. They do use the tmobile network. I fully expect t mobile to be merged in the next 2 years or bought out by a company. D.T. has really shown no interest in funding t mobile usa and no matter what they do without funding from the parent company they have no chance. Wouldnt be suprised to see dish make a play for them to sometime in the future. Could turn out to be a positive thing though. With tmobiles limited spectrum holdings now dish could greatly enhance there footprint. Dish does own ALOT of spectrum.

Upvote 0
It makes sense. No matter what t mobile or sprint does they will never catch the big 2. It really boils down to a spectrum issue. And in reality thats how the big 2 became the big 2 by swallowing up smaller regional carriers and building out there own network with that spectrum. I think sprint can make a play for t mobile but with so much of there spectrum overlapping it really doesnt expand there footprint. It would bring them cash revenue to compete with att and verizon but at the end of the day coverage is king.

Upvote 0
Deutsche telecom, the parent company of T-Mobile recently said it just might hang on to to T-Mobile due to the gains it has made in subscribers...

Hanging on to and investing in are 2 different things. If you look at it all they are doing is making themselves more attractive for a suitor to pay more for them. A year ago they were bleeding customers left and right now they are gaining. Mainly due to aggresive moves that undercut other carriers. Theres a celing to this though that they will soon reach. They will never overtake the big 2 there coverage dictates that. There not dumb they know this. So why not undercut the competition gain some suscribers say oh maybe were not looking to sell now and maybe bait someone into overpaying for your product. Thats what this all looks like to me.

Upvote 0
T-Mobile has a lot now they have straight talk , bright spot , simple mobile and a few more I think they can retire with big smiles maybe help out the customers with a 2gb as base for cheaper such as at&t :D:eek:

T mobile doesnt own those. They pay tmobile to use there network. Straight talk and simple are both owned by tracfone. All tmobile actually owns is metro pcs.

Upvote 0
That cricket thing went through? And sprint already has spectrum out the wazoo just aren't doing anything with it lol

Cleared stockholders already just waiting for fcc approval and honestly it should pass easily. Att paid 1.2 billion for leap wireless and intends on merging it with aio under the cricket name. Sprint also has money out the waazoo with softbank so maybe/hopefully that spectrum sees some use. Honestly i think sprint is the more dangerous company than t mobile right now. Softbank is not afraid to spend and they are the ones that can compete with verizon/att penny for penny on anything.

Upvote 0
Cleared stockholders already just waiting for fcc approval and honestly it should pass easily. Att paid 1.2 billion for leap wireless and intends on merging it with aio under the cricket name. Sprint also has money out the waazoo with softbank so maybe/hopefully that spectrum sees some use. Honestly i think sprint is the more dangerous company than t mobile right now. Softbank is not afraid to spend and they are the ones that can compete with verizon/att penny for penny on anything.
Considering that boost is getting the galaxy 5 at launch rather than a year late is proof of changes in sprint way of doing things. But they can sink billions into sprint but won't mean a thing If it keeps it bad rep for service. Lot of people don't want to give sprint the chance again.

Upvote 0
I've said it before and I'll say it again, Sprint ain't gettin' T-Mo.

The FCC ain't gonna let them.

Think back to the Metro sale. That FCC committee was pretty forthright with their info and followed through on what they said. The first word was there was no issues with the FCC and bam, boom, signed, sealed and delivered.

And now the Very First Official hints are that the FCC is balking at the idea?

It's not gonna happen. Sprint and T-Mo anyway.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Upvote 0
I dont see where anyone said anything about sprint aqquiring t mobile ....in fact i admitted that most of there spectrum overlaps so really wouldnt do anything. But yea your prolly right. Thats why i think itll be dish network who makes a play for t mobile. They got the cash and the added spectrum the fcc would love to see used for another true nationwide provider. But as a standalone provider sprint is very dangerous. There aquiring spectrum and have a huge influence of cash on hand. Dee has a point there perception sucks right now but even with a bad perception there good enough to be pretty well ahead of t mobile. If they can figure how to turn that perception look out.

Upvote 0
I've said it before and I'll say it again, Sprint ain't gettin' T-Mo.

The FCC ain't gonna let them.

Think back to the Metro sale. That FCC committee was pretty forthright with their info and followed through on what they said. The first word was there was no issues with the FCC and bam, boom, signed, sealed and delivered.

And now the Very First Official hints are that the FCC is balking at the idea?

It's not gonna happen. Sprint and T-Mo anyway.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

In short Softbank isn't getting it maybe someone else wants it. It can go three ways 1 telecom keeps it and invests more into it and gets hspa and LTE in more places with out loosing it once go in your house. 2 some other company buys it that isn't soft bank like dish .3 open the door get on the floor everybody walks the dinosaur

Upvote 0
I dont see where anyone said anything about sprint aqquiring t mobile ....in fact i admitted that most of there spectrum overlaps so really wouldnt do anything.

Sprint and Tmobiles spectrum overlaps? Other than the 1900MHz they have no bands in common.

Edit: Well really no spectrum can overlap actually since they don't broadcast on the same spectrum. So I don't get where you were going with that?

Upvote 0
In short Softbank isn't getting it maybe someone else wants it. It can go three ways 1 telecom keeps it and invests more into it and gets hspa and LTE in more places with out loosing it once go in your house. 2 some other company buys it that isn't soft bank like dish .3 open the door get on the floor everybody walks the dinosaur

I'd go for #1. Then I'd go for #2 if it's a sugar daddy that'll give us a nice cash infusion and still keep shaking up the market

Upvote 0
Sprint and Tmobiles spectrum overlaps? Other than the 1900MHz they have no bands in common.

Edit: Well really no spectrum can overlap actually since they don't broadcast on the same spectrum. So I don't get where you were going with that?

They cover the same areas.There spectrum maps overlap. They would gain no ground merging. Would prolly be forced to sell off alot of spectrum actually. Dont matter what bands there running.

Upvote 0
They cover the same areas.There spectrum maps overlap. They would gain no ground merging. Would prolly be forced to sell off alot of spectrum actually. Dont matter what bands there running.

It kinda does IMO because you know nextel iden network and stuff and how much it is not being used.

Reactions: Gman9831
Upvote 0
Both sprint and t mobile run high frquency bands in mostly urban areas. Merging the 2 companies wouldnt help either one out. They would still be left running high frequency bands in mostly urban areas. Yes t mobile has some 700 a block they got from verizon yes sprint has there smr bands left over from nextel but the heart of both there networks is the high frequency bands. Would make bo sense to merge them because there coverage overlaps. They gain no ground gain no new area gain no new lower frequency bands.

Upvote 0
Both sprint and t mobile run high frquency bands in mostly urban areas. Merging the 2 companies wouldnt help either one out. They would still be left running high frequency bands in mostly urban areas. Yes t mobile has some 700 a block they got from verizon yes sprint has there smr bands left over from nextel but the heart of both there networks is the high frequency bands. Would make bo sense to merge them because there coverage overlaps. They gain no ground gain no new area gain no new lower frequency bands.

Sprint's low band is nationwide and tmos covers 158M people. In the speech that Son gave he was talking about increasing competition more and lowering prices. If he sticks to his word of more competition and lower prices, over time I would be more open to a joint venture(Using most of tmos management to run it) where they both have an equal stake in the created company like what tmobile and orange successfully did in the UK . But if he's full of broken promises like Sprint has been for the past few years he should look elsewhere.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones