• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Would be something nice to see

Wouldnt call sprints lowband nationwide. And tmobile always uses the people covered. People covered is not area covered. Thats the issue. People move around. How many people on t mobile get great signal in one area move 10 minutes away and it drops. And both sprint and t mobile i believe were cryin to the fcc that they were at a disadvantage because they dont have much low frequency. Isnt that also the reason they both didnt compete in the h block auction?
Also the whole "merger of equals" thing sprint has done before. Didnt really work out lol.

Upvote 0
Thats one thing id like to see changed to. Tmobiles insistance on using people covered as part of there advertising. That is such a stupid way to dertermine coverage. Att did the same when they first launched there lte network i get why they do it but still its idiotic. If i owned a wireless company and say i covered the chicagoland area the new york area and the l.a. area but nothing else i could claim hey i cover over 20 million people! But my network is still garbage. It covers less than ,01 percent of the area of the nation. So when my customer goes to say washington my answer to him is well i dont cover there but i cover over 20 million people! Such a stupid way to advertise coverage.

Reactions: alfick3
Upvote 0
I wasn't saying that the 158M was a lot. It's saying that they would gain at least something that doesn't *overlap* from a merger which is the 12MHz of 800MHz that sprint has nationwide except near the Mexican border.
That was old Sprint and i said I would only be open to it if I saw it was a new Sprint that now fulfills on their promises and would make the market better, Verizon Wireless was a joint venture till the beginning of the year when they paid off Vodafone and then AT&T was a joint venture from 2000 till 2007 when they bought BellSouth. It could work with a good management team (like the one tmo has currently)
They've always used coverage marketing tactics like that
Sprint only announces the number of markets
Verizon says their LTE reaches 97% of Americans
The last AT&T one I saw only said "AT&T now reaches 99% of Americans"
Then Tmo announces the amount of people they cover.

Upvote 0
True. But verizon has started the whole compare maps campaign and that honestly speaks volumes. The ads make everyone else look small. I know vodaphone worked but vodafone was more like a small partner i believe they only owned 40%. Sprint is in that situation now with softbank. Softbank doesnt fully own sprint. I dunno. Id be happier with dish takin t mobile than softbank/sprint. I believe dish could do more right away with t mobile. Dish owns a ton of spectrum. In places where t mobile holds no license. And yea "overlap" is the wrong word i know but it was the best way i could put it. The only thing is dish's spectrum is all high frequency and a ton of h block. Plus lightspeeds. But something is better than nothing.

Upvote 0
Isnt that 800 mhz of sprints smr bands? I know they wanted to put there lte on that as part of there sprint spark campaign. Got the fcc to let them recomission it for lte. Last i heard though thats only up and running in very few places. Havent really followed sprint much since i let my contract expire with em last year. If i remember nextels map was actually smaller than sprints. Still no real west coast coverage till you got to california.

Upvote 0
True. But verizon has started the whole compare maps campaign and that honestly speaks volumes. The ads make everyone else look small. I know vodaphone worked but vodafone was more like a small partner i believe they only owned 40%. Sprint is in that situation now with softbank. Softbank doesnt fully own sprint. I dunno. Id be happier with dish takin t mobile than softbank/sprint. I believe dish could do more right away with t mobile. Dish owns a ton of spectrum. In places where t mobile holds no license. And yea "overlap" is the wrong word i know but it was the best way i could put it. The only thing is dish's spectrum is all high frequency and a ton of h block. Plus lightspeeds. But something is better than nothing.

I don't think Dish is going for tmobile since Masayoshi Son had announced he's interested in tmobile and Dish had announced before that they wouldn't engage in bidding against Softbank. Tmobile has at least 20MHz of AWS nationwide that they just haven't chosen to use everywhere since it's not economical for them. It's not that they don't have the license.
Lightsquared? Dish dropped their bid for Lightsquared's assets back in January. Not much they could really do right now anyway with Dish's AWS-4 and 700MHz E since there's no support for deployment yet.

Upvote 0
*And thanks to the U.S., Deutsche Telekom is posting revenue growth, rare in the European sector, where revenues are melting despite exploding mobile-data traffic. Revenue in Germany was down 1.7% in 4Q and in Europe down 3.3%.
From an interview yesterday with DT's CEO. I just don't think a company would outright sell their only growing operation.
But the article is about how it's going to be hard for t-mobile as an independent company to acquire new spectrum like the AWS-3 auction at the end of the year and 600MHz next year. http://m.us.wsj.com/articles/BL-DGB-33517

Upvote 0
I don't think Dish is going for tmobile since Masayoshi Son had announced he's interested in tmobile and Dish had announced before that they wouldn't engage in bidding against Softbank. Tmobile has at least 20MHz of AWS nationwide that they just haven't chosen to use everywhere since it's not economical for them. It's not that they don't have the license.
Lightsquared? Dish dropped their bid for Lightsquared's assets back in January. Not much they could really do right now anyway with Dish's AWS-4 and 700MHz E since there's no support for deployment yet.

I didnt hear about dish dropping lightsquared. The thing is dish would prolly have to get involved somehow. The fcc prolly wont allow just 3 carriers. What gets me is d.t. i dont get why they bought voicestream. They never invested much in it for the longest time t mobile was just edge. It took them forever to get 3g. I never got there strategy of buying voicestream.

Upvote 0
I didnt hear about dish dropping lightsquared. The thing is dish would prolly have to get involved somehow. The fcc prolly wont allow just 3 carriers. What gets me is d.t. i dont get why they bought voicestream. They never invested much in it for the longest time t mobile was just edge. It took them forever to get 3g. I never got there strategy of buying voicestream.

When they bought Voicestream in 2001 they probably weren't expecting the need for the increased data speed but they couldn't rollout 3G anyway till 2008 with the AWS auction then they couldn't rollout LTE without AT&T's spectrum from the breakup fee. T-Mobile was profitable here till just recently but they took all that money to expand in Europe.

Upvote 0
Just seems like they went thru alot of hassle for nothing. Thry had to relocate a main office in the states cuase the fcc didnt want a company with an overseas base own u.s. spectrum they went thru alot of red tape just to aquire voicestream then sat on it. Everything theyve expanded on or improved they were both given the spectrum to do it with and told they must use it. If it wasnt for that they may still be on edge. Yea they were profitable. For the longest time they were the "nice company". They were dirt cheap and had amazing customer service. Would be nice if d.t. kept them and actually used that caah on em but there track record says there not gonna. We shall see. Should be an interesting year.

Upvote 0
From an interview yesterday with DT's CEO. I just don't think a company would outright sell their only growing operation.
But the article is about how it's going to be hard for t-mobile as an independent company to acquire new spectrum like the AWS-3 auction at the end of the year and 600MHz next year. http://m.us.wsj.com/articles/BL-DGB-33517

Thats the whole problem. Even with there growth they still posted a $20 million dollar net loss last quarter. Theres only so much undercutting you can do. This is the ceiling i was refering to earlier and kinda proves my point on d.t. looking to get out of t mobile usa i think deep down they want son to convince lawmakers to approve a sprint buyout i just dunno if its the best thing. It doesnt solve the major problems of both sprint and t mobile which is coverage. Also sprint would be taking on alot of debt. Softbank could asorb it but its not like sprint is lighting up the profits either right now. Like i said will be interesting.

Upvote 0
Thats the whole problem. Even with there growth they still posted a $20 million dollar net loss last quarter. Theres only so much undercutting you can do. This is the ceiling i was refering to earlier and kinda proves my point on d.t. looking to get out of t mobile usa i think deep down they want son to convince lawmakers to approve a sprint buyout i just dunno if its the best thing. It doesnt solve the major problems of both sprint and t mobile which is coverage. Also sprint would be taking on alot of debt. Softbank could asorb it but its not like sprint is lighting up the profits either right now. Like i said will be interesting.

Revenue is up, a $20M loss in their operation isn't that significant. They expect to start making profit in the second half of this year which is when they expect to have at least 85% of the customers on simple choice which is the main reason they lost money.
Just today tmobile announced that they'll be upgrading their whole native network to LTE by mid year next year http://www.slashgear.com/t-mobile-plans-lte-for-all-by-mid-2015-snipes-verizon-ads-13320509/

Upvote 0
Revenue is up, a $20M loss in their operation isn't that significant. They expect to start making profit in the second half of this year which is when they expect to have at least 85% of the customers on simple choice which is the main reason they lost money.
Just today tmobile announced that they'll be upgrading their whole native network to LTE by mid year next year http://www.slashgear.com/t-mobile-plans-lte-for-all-by-mid-2015-snipes-verizon-ads-13320509/

I was thinking that as well its from the tatics they are using and when billions are used to hook us in billions are givin back

Upvote 0

Which will leave them with the 4th largest lte network lol thus the problem will still remain. Does it help? Sure. Does it solve anything? No.

Upvote 0
Which will leave them with the 4th largest lte network lol thus the problem will still remain. Does it help? Sure. Does it solve anything? No.

But *most* people are just concerned about the coverage along highways. I know of so many people that would switch to t mobile if they had consistent 4G coverage along I95 going to the Northeast like how both AT&T and VZW are basically 4G the whole way but other than near city clusters t mobile is 2G in those places. If it seems like a good business move I think they will do it. Like now they probably think they can get a ROI that they couldn't get before.

Upvote 0
Gman what most people I live in Detroit which is a trap for people they want just what they need hence why T-Mobile and metro is popular

Most of the complaints I hear against tmobile on here and other places are in building coverage and the 2G on highways. Which they've announced the solution to both of those just this year with 700MHz and this announcement from today.

Upvote 0
But theres a saturation point you reach. Thats the issue. I get the upgrade what you got approach but eventually you peak out. T mobile really has no plan to expand and thats the problem. Is the goal to be a distant 4th place carrier? Because lets be real with there current native coverage thats what they will always be. Coverage does dictate that. Thats why verizon with all there complaints all the people complaining how there prices are outragous and whatnot still continue to add subs every single quarter. People know for all that there phone will always work. Now for some the coverage isnt an issue but for some they do travel they do go places. Sprint saw this problem years ago and for a while even enabled in network roaming on there phones. T mobile knows this is a downfall thus offers wifi calling apps on there devices. Until t mobile is ready to invest in expanding there network and not upgrading it they will always be the 4 option for most people. And d.t. has never shown any interest in expanding there network. Now there saying consolidation is the only way to compete. In other words someone please give us 12 billion dollars and take this off our hands. And yea metro and t mobile are huge in detroit. Lived in waterford for 7 years. But economics play a part in that also.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones