Would DHD owners still recommend?General

Last Updated:

1. big_mike

big_mike Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So after reading many threads on here im keen to know if you guys would still recommend the DHD.
    Im currently waiting for t mobile's stock to arrive before they swap my SGS for a DHD.

I've played with one for a few mins happened to be a HTC rep in a local phone shop showing it to the staff and i asked for ago which I did but didn't get much time on it. took a few pics (very impressive camera) scrolled around. seemed sooth even if it has far to many stock apps IMO by the looks of things :S

Am i still doing the right thing will all the experience you guys now have of it.

Advertisement
  2. CheesyPeteza

CheesyPeteza Well-Known Member

Depends how far away you expect to be from a charger. It's the only thing I don't like about it.

3. big_mike

the serious answer is i can charge any time at work (will have a spare charger there) and also have a car charger so not a problem really.

4. SithSurfer

SithSurfer Well-Known Member

I've been talking to my mate who's upgraded from Milestone to DHD and he's very happy with his new toy. The battery lasts more then a day and since we're both working in creative industries I know how many e-mails and txt's he has to receive during the day. As long as you have an access to a power supply within 24h from charging (after few cycles that is) then you should be fine.

And yes, the phone is quite massive but then I really liked the size of HD2 and if it wouldn't be for the WinMo I'd have it last year instead of Hero. Oh, the offline maps are awesome and GPS works just as it should ;)

PS. Getting my one on Monday. Defo.

5. allmine1976

allmine1976 Member

Yes , definetly . No need to be near a charger either .

6. tiagomenezzes

tiagomenezzes Member

Many times when I read some comments in regards to this phone I

DanteGR, docas11, gmmamin and 6 others like this.
  7. big_mike

tiagomenezzes thank you so much for your input in this thread that was a nice read and on the whole was selling the phone very well and to compare a phone to a laptop is a good comparison i would say as everything people do on laptops i do on my 'phones'

thanks once again.

8. ChOnG2k4

ChOnG2k4 Member

Only things that annoy me with it are:

Keyboard = Isnt very responsive, have to double hit the key alot of times. (actually think its the side of your hand wrapping arround side of screen, so touchscreen is thinking you are typing)

Battery = As mentioned, dosent last very long.

Speed = Its jumpy and sluggish sometimes when loading things, but then other times its fast. Not sure if processor is spiking etc.

Apart from those, everything about it is great. :)

9. arlrb

arlrb Well-Known Member

Yep. Then root it & let me know how it goes.

10. bonerp

bonerp Well-Known Member

mines seems to be get more laggy by the day...

Battery is OK TBH. It is providing about the same as the desire. For such a usable and powerful device I am happy with this. I wouldnt expect my laptop to last much beyond 6/7 hrs so 12 hrs for this is great. Over time the battery stabilises so should easily get a day. Almost had a day yesterday - day 3.

Processor - works nice with nothing on it/out of the box! Now I've filled it with apps (only the same ones I had on the desire), I am experiencing issues with opening the menu from sleep and stuttery screen transition on angry birds. Even running through my phone book was jumpy last night.

Restarting doesnt really seem to have much effect. I would guess there is some sort of conflict going on. Others are also experiencing this. At present I just put this down to initial release and the bugs will be fixed in good time. Is there a way of reporting to HTC? Do they surf this site??

If you dont like it - I would suggest NOT buying a brand new release for the first month or 2. Issues will be fixed - or its egg on their face. And HTC wouldnt risk that!

11. AndrizzleHD

AndrizzleHD Well-Known Member

Heck yeah I'll recommend this baby still. Some pre-release reviews made me worried that it was too heavy or too large. Psshh...this fits right into anyone's pocket I don't know what all the fuss is about.

As for the phone itself, it is great. Better than any android phone so go for it.

12. SpencerUk

SpencerUk Well-Known Member

Sunray likes this.
  13. MrPie

MrPie Well-Known Member

Okay i forgot the take my USB to uni today. Since i thought i'd let it charge while near my work station. Spent most of the day listening to the radio. Sending texts. Taking pictures. Receiving emails. Checking internet pages. Going on facebook and the battery was only half way. Not bad considering it has to power a fairly big screen.

I mean you don't really need your screen at 100 brightness do you? I normally had mine at 30-40% and it was fine and readable. Hopefully battery improves as i used it more over time. Great phone and had no regrets buy it.

And i've got used to the keyboard quick. And believe me. I type carelessly and barely get a wrong word in. You should Calibrate as Spencer is saying. Might help more.

14. big_mike

Really pleased to see all these helpful replies! i am so so sure of getting this phone now!

Just wait for the beauty to be in stock with tmobile and ill be in the club ;-)

15. DaveDanger

DaveDanger Member

Well what can I say, my Desire HD phone arrived today and I am so damn pleased with it. Why have I been an iPhone user for so long. I am just baffled why I got sucked in there. I certainly understand the attraction and requirement for the way apple approach their customers but for even the slightly technology minded people android is a far more flexible option.

In answer to the original question 'Yes I would definitely recommend the Desire HD no doubt about it'. This phone is a massive step up for me, having jumped from an original iPhone ('edge') handset bought in 2007 on the day it was released, and then for the last 6 months using an old Nokia 3310 (iphone broke), I just don't know how I've managed to get buy.

If anyone's interested I got my handset from mobiles.co.uk
    Tariff: T-Mobile, 600mins, 500 txt, Unlimited data (1GB fair usage and as I understand it T-Mobile is lenient regarding going over this), handset 'free' (included with contract as I like to see it) all for

wastedagen likes this.
  16. wastedagen

wastedagen Well-Known Member

Excellent write up DaveDanger. This is exactly the same situation as me. Except my iPhone didnt break I just bought myself out of my contract because I ended up hating the iPhone/iTunes so much.
    I didnt fair as well as you in the contract side of things as I wanted to go with vodafone because there reception is better for me.
    Other than that I would recommend this phone to anyone in a heartbeat.

17. SabersKunk

SabersKunk New Member

I'm on my second no contract Desire HD now. I bought it initially from Carphone Warehouse but quickly found that the slightest knock would cause the unit to power down completely. The battery was in secure but I believe that HTC use some kind of NVRAM for very quick restarts and that may have been faulty.

Anyway I took it back to Carphone Warehouse who exchanged it without issue and it's been running great since then.

Regarding the perceived battery issue, the onus is on the user to ensure that any apps or widgets that are installed are not power hungry whores :) I installed a battery monitor widget and my battery life halved! (There is some irony there for sure).

18. ChOnG2k4

ChOnG2k4 Member

Yeh tried re-calibrating, it seems to be more the processor spiking then the screen being unresponsive im noticing. When scrolling up down etc you can notice it jumping and isnt as smooth as should be.

Dont have many apps, almost default.

19. bigal23

bigal23 Member

i to have same problem of jumpyness and slowing down hardly got many apps installed from new. dont know what to do about it maybe return phone for replacemnt?

20. Krimian

Krimian Well-Known Member

Are you both on latest firmware?

21. bigal23

bigal23 Member

yeah update when it came out. phone is taking a 3-7 second time to respond at the min not to happy:mad:

22. ChOnG2k4

ChOnG2k4 Member

Yeh latest firmware here, im using Task Killer on auto mode, but is still not very smooth. For a phone that has a great processor its not very fast when changing from app to app or even just scrolling up and down a webpage.
    And text messeging is a nightmare, you think you have not pressed a key properly, but its actually the phone freezing but then unfreezes and the key you pressed comes up about 10 times lol

23. bigal23

bigal23 Member

is there a way to go back to orginal firware that i had

24. faugusztin

faugusztin Well-Known Member

@ChOnG2k4: did you tried not using the Task Killer ? The symptoms you describe are like if you killed the app/service you actually need, and that results in delay because android must reload the app again and again and again, because your task killer keeps killing it.

25. RussWWFC

RussWWFC Well-Known Member

I've had a few problems coming over from the iPhone 3G and I'd still say if you can afford the iPhone 4 get that. Though over the duration of the contract it works out at about