Would I Be Able To Get A New Phone?General

Last Updated:

1. Bishop

Bishop Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Or would I just be wasting my time? I'm not interested in a Refurb, I've had quite a few bad experiences with them... And I got the V3 Leak (but I'm not just trying to get the OTA)

But I can't really do anything while my phone is charging. It keeps automatically sliding to the page all the way to the left. When I'm texting, or just typing in any letters, the cursor keeps moving back to the left. Can't play any games while charging either: Like in Spades, it keeps selecting cards on it's own.

The other issue is (Maybe it's something I can do myself) but I'm convinced it doesn't vibrate 100% of the time when I get calls or texts. This past week I've been riding with it sitting in my lap and got calls and felt no vibration.

Is it worth me driving all the way across town to the corporate store to take a chance in getting a refurb?

Advertisement
  2. 566

566 Member

yes.

i got one. my phone kept rebooting.

i was polite and the verizon rep. tried to out polite me.

just don't act like an entitled prick (as it seems many posters do). verizon should be happy to replace your faulty handset at htc's cost.

good luck!

kikofosho likes this.
  3. ECU_Snare

ECU_Snare Member

I just got my replacement today for the same issue. My Eris would slide all the way to the left. Its a hardware issue. If you bought it over a month ago, they will only give you a "certified like new replacement". I couldn't tell mine had been used before though. Came with the plastic film protectors and all. Oh, and you get to keep your battery and SD card.

4. sugar&spice3

sugar&spice3 Active Member

is there a sureway of telling if you've rec'd a refurb phone?

5. Podivin

Podivin VIP Member VIP Member

There is documentation in the box with a refurb that clearly states 'refurb'.

6. Bishop

Oh really??
    Did you go in and get it replaced, or mailed to you?

7. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

There is also a sticker on the inside of the phone that shows the refurb date. And mine also included a diagnostic receipt that showed technical details of phone's radios and such.

8. sugar&spice3

friend never rec'd a box. just another phone w/the battery/card switched over. is there a way of telling on the actual phone?

9. Demache

Refer to my post above.

10. sugar&spice3

does it actually say refurb anywhere on it? under the battery there is a white sticker that says:

SEC 05/06/2010

11. Demache

Then its a refurb. Mine has the same sticker just with a different date.

It says SEC 05/14/2010.

12. ECU_Snare

ECU_Snare Member

It was mailed to me.

13. jps

jps Well-Known Member

if you buy a BRAND NEW phone from vzw and it has a hardware problem, how the hell can they give you a refurb?

thats like buying a brand new 2010 car, having something go wrong with it, and the dealership replacing it with a 2008 car thats been cleaned up a bit.

14. Demache

Bad example. More like them giving you a used 2010 that has had parts replaced and has been cleaned up. A 2008 and 2010 model car can be different. Even if they are the same generation of that particular car. Some manufacturers change trims, features and such between model years. They would have to give you the same model vehicle, with the same year, and the same overall features, but used.

An Eris is no different featurewise from another Eris, since they are all the same "year".

15. Lagos

Lagos Well-Known Member

They give you a refurb because countless of people return perfectly good hardware for random reasons.

Better way of thinking about it is that they are giving you a 2010 car with the same millage you put on your defective 2010 car. Come to think of it, if you have a problem with your car, they don't actually just give you another car... they fix the problem to your current one and send you on your way.

16. jps

jps Well-Known Member

i know it was a dumb comparison, just couldnt think of anything else. my whole point was, theyre basically pawning off someone elses garbage on you, which isnt right. better example would be (and its probably happened to most of us). you buy brand new shoes, something happens because of manufacturing , i take them shoes back, i get a brand new pair of shoes. pretty darn simple concept if you ask me.

if i buy something brand new, i expect that when a hardware/software problem happens, i get what i paid for back, a brand new phone. if i wanted a refurb, there was a plethora of them just waiting for me to buy.

just another billion dollar company shitting on the little people... :eek:

17. gospodinwizard

gospodinwizard Well-Known Member

On the the replacement phone and Leak v3 issue, I got a replacement phone yesterday and found that all the specs regarding release/build/kernel/etc. were exactly identical to those on the original phone I had which was running Leak v3.

18. ACD168

ACD168 Well-Known Member

my thrid replacement is on its way, will arrive tmrw. I never bother with going to a corp. store, I just call CS Rep, and treat them with the respect they deserve. It isn't the CS Reps fault that your having problems with your cell phone, the only thing they can do is help. which they won't do if your a jack ass to them. Either I'm just lucky, or my respects pay off. Simply explain your issues with them, and before they tell u to pull the batt. tell them ur 10 steps head of them and have factory reset and haven't downloaded a single app and still having problems. Took me a all of ten minutes to decide to have a third replacement sent, and test my lucky with trying to root it.

19. Bishop

I did just that. They're gonna send me a replacement. I hope it'll be as good as the one I have orinally was.

20. zerocool79346

zerocool79346 Well-Known Member

Good luck, mine has been even better than the original whose only real issue was the trackball, so there is hope.

21. Bishop

*UPDATE*
    I callled again to go ahead and set it up for them to send me a new phone. The lady was asking about my software. She said that it needed to be updated and that I could take it to a store and they'd hook it up to a machine to update it.

So I took it in. The guy looked at my software, and other stuff. Then he said he'd put in on some machined and it would update and not lose/swipe anything in like 5 minutes. So I said do it. He came back a minute later and said that he was wrong, and that it needed a bigger update than he expected. Said it'd take about 15-20 minutes and that it would be swiped! Said I'd keep my files, but not my apps, etc...... I told him don't do it, and I'd be back.

Now the question is, I know he knows it has 2.1 on it (it's the 3rd Leak version). What update could he possibly be talking about?? Should I let him do it, or just let them send me another phone?

22. tonyb81

tonyb81 Well-Known Member

lol, i know its not funny to laugh about this, but thats all I can do in your situtuation. who knows what they mean by a bigger update, maybe its that one that was supposedly released last week or so. It's gonna be pretty fun if they try and it won't work cause you are on a leaked 2.1v3. Will they realize its a leaked 2.1 or not is the fun part.

23. Bishop

I wasn't laughing, cuz I was kinda thinking the same thing! That's why I told him don't do it. I think I'll go with them sending me another phone. But his talk about "a bigger update" has me intrigued!!

Kinda like that old version of the Let's Make A Deal Show. I know what I have in my hand, but I might wanna take a chance with what's behind curtain #1!

24. kevhow

kevhow Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure all he means by bigger update is he's going to wipe your phone clean and reinstall 2.1. The same 2.1 that you already have, on top of the same phone that already has issues. So you'll have the same problems you already have, and you'll be back a week later getting a refurb... or at least that was the exact thing that happened to me. They actually wanted to try to wipe mine a 2nd time before I talked them into sending me a refurb.

BTW my refurb has been perfect since I got it 3 weeks ago. No issues at all. My first one had the silent call bug.

25. Zerethusta

Zerethusta Well-Known Member

The scrolling issue when plugged in is a HARDWARE issue, not a software.

The USB port is too close to the trackball. THAT is the issue, not your software. I received a refurb for the exact same reason, took it in with a charger to the store and showed them it happening with an OEM charger. No questions, they just played for a while, looked it up in tech bulletin, and ordered me up a new refurb.

Also, shortly after it started doing that, the trackball no longer scrolled left.