• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Would it be worth it to wait to get an Android phone?

roastedpepper

Nov 12, 2009
I have been looking into geting an Android smartphone, or any smartphone for that matter. I like both Android and Palm devices but I noticed they still need refinement. If I upgrade and get a phone now (I have Verizon) I will be stuck with the phone for 2 years. It seems as though they are going to be realeasing many new Android phones this year. So my question is is: Is it worth it to wait and see what new devices will come out or should I go ahead and get a Droid?

I think you should consider what you expect to most use it for and whether a Droid (or other phone) would match those needs. No matter what you get, in three months, a new great device will come out and make you wish you waited. Try to find someone who has the device you are interested in to get some time with the device in person. The Droid is a good phone and worth considering (especially if you're eligible for the lower price from being a Verizon customer already).

Devices continue to improve at an amazing rate (the G1 is only a year and a few months old, after all), so you should focus on whether it meets your current needs and desires.

Upvote 0
I guess what worries me the most is that there is no physical answer and end buttons on the phone and the keyboard is not so great. I worry that they'll come out with something I like physcially better but I think the Droid will have the best Os for awhile with the updates they keep pushing out for it. (For Verizon I mean)

Upvote 0
Yeah, using the touch screen for answering/ending calls can be a bit weird at first, but you get used to it pretty quickly. I didn't like the keyboard on the Droid at all when I first used it, but it did grow on me a bit after more regular use. It's not amazing, but it's not too bad either. I'm sure more phones with the 1ghz processor will come out this year, which definitely makes a difference in the responsiveness of the phone, but I don't know if any will have a solid keyboard. Good luck with your decision!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones