• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

would it be worth it?...

Return the phone ASAP...wait for a month or so. Then you won't go through the restocking. Weird, I know, but I heard that they only charge you if you get a new phone immediately after returning the first one.

Some things to consider: the Incredible has more RAM, a faster, more powerful processor, and still runs Sense. It also has a 1300 mAh battery...like the Eris.

If you thought the battery life on the Eris was shit, the Incredible should have worse battery life than a Nexus One.

Price? I don't see it much different than the introductory price of the Droid, $199. Not more, though.

My suggestion to all that consider jumping ship? Wait until the Nexus One is released as well. Problems usually take 60 days or so to resurface, so if you don't absolutely have to have to the best technology right away, wait that long to see the two duke it out and which one comes out on top. You never know, with all the pros and cons, that they end up canceling each other out and the Droid, although nine months old, is still the better buy.

The Eris IS NOT the best buy right now, and for sure will not be once the Incredible is out. Your best bet is a top-tier Google phone. The Eris is in the bargain bin.

Reactions: nova77
Upvote 0
I dunno, i have an eris and am perfectly happy with it. I don't see how a faster processor or bigger screen would make my life any better or enable me to use the apps i currently own any better. I'll wait 2 years and then get a new phone, i don't want to go through the hassle of setting up a new phone and rebuying all the accessories just to upgrade to the latest phone to come to market. On top of that i don't feel like spending a couple hundred dollars just to have the latest handset. Maybe i'm wierd but i like my eris, its small, functional, works perfectly, holds a charge all day + some, and gives me access to apps and games i enjoy. I can see making the upgrade when 4g comes to the area, but thats at least 2 years away. I don't get the logic that the eris is a bargain bin phone, it certainly is better than any other phone i've ever had. I dunno but i'll stay with what i got and leave the newer phones to those that have to have the latest and greatest and save a couple hundred bucks in the process.

Upvote 0
I dunno, i have an eris and am perfectly happy with it. I don't see how a faster processor or bigger screen would make my life any better or enable me to use the apps i currently own any better. I'll wait 2 years and then get a new phone, i don't want to go through the hassle of setting up a new phone and rebuying all the accessories just to upgrade to the latest phone to come to market. On top of that i don't feel like spending a couple hundred dollars just to have the latest handset. Maybe i'm wierd but i like my eris, its small, functional, works perfectly, holds a charge all day + some, and gives me access to apps and games i enjoy. I can see making the upgrade when 4g comes to the area, but thats at least 2 years away. I don't get the logic that the eris is a bargain bin phone, it certainly is better than any other phone i've ever had. I dunno but i'll stay with what i got and leave the newer phones to those that have to have the latest and greatest and save a couple hundred bucks in the process.

Experience is..well...relative. If you drove a Ford Pinto and then moved up to a 63 Riviera with a family of coons under the hood, you'd be happy your car didn't blow up with you inside of it, but there would still be occasions where you were attacked by coons.

Similarly, the Storm has its fair share of issues. Someone moving from that to an Eris will be happy to get a working phone and would overlook the fact that the Eris is outdated horribly, and no good phone has had a life span of, I dunno, 5 months?

It works, sure. But when you see what else is out there for a little more, it makes a world of a difference.

Upvote 0

I see exactly what you're saying. My mom just came up for an upgrade and said she'd possibly take my Eris and give me her upgrade. Just so happens the incredible is coming out. I would probably have to say that the Eris was like an appetizer. I would really just like to get my hands on a newer type of Android phone, and with the processing speed, 8Mp camera and all the other stuff, I don't see how I would ever want to upgrade again (however that's what I said when I started playing around with my Eris lol)

Upvote 0
I've heard that the Incredible's AMOLED screen is supposed to be much more power efficient, so the battery life might not be worse than the Eris.

However, if the rumor that the VZW N1 will have Sense is true, then I would definitely wait until I had the opportunity to play with both phones before making a decision.

Of course, I have no hope of getting a new phone any time soon. My best chance is to convince my fiancee that she needs a smart phone, and then give her my Eris.

But so far, she seems to get incredibly frustrated by the touch screen and the laggy dialer. She's also swype artarded, and tries to use it like a normal KB.

Upvote 0
Experience is..well...relative. If you drove a Ford Pinto and then moved up to a 63 Riviera with a family of coons under the hood, you'd be happy your car didn't blow up with you inside of it, but there would still be occasions where you were attacked by coons.

Similarly, the Storm has its fair share of issues. Someone moving from that to an Eris will be happy to get a working phone and would overlook the fact that the Eris is outdated horribly, and no good phone has had a life span of, I dunno, 5 months?

It works, sure. But when you see what else is out there for a little more, it makes a world of a difference.

I've never had a storm, but i do have a 3rd generation ipod touch. Even compared to that i'm still happy with my eris. I don't see how i would enjoy my phone more if it were faster or had a bigger screen. I don't care if its at the end of its life in terms of being sold by verizon due to newer handsets replacing it. Oh well i like my phone, you don't, no biggie. Life goes on.

Upvote 0
Personally, I'd rather not be an early adopter of any new phone. I got my Eris about a month and a half after it's release and by then there was a lot of support and knowledge (aka this forum).

And my biggest reason why I wouldn't is because I think the Eris' size is PERFECT and anything bigger would just seem awkward and unpocketable.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones