• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help would like some help please

Theguy

Lurker
Jul 14, 2011
I recently purchased a Samsung gem as my very first smartphone, my phone only came with android 2.1, and so I figured it would be best to update it to 2.2, after a few days I found out how to do this, and ever since I updated my 3g connection has been spotty at best (whereas before it was nearly flawless) and I have been utterly unable to connect to the android market and every time I try I get the message "A server error has occurred. Retry, or cancel to return to the previous screen.

things I have tried:
Rebooting my phone
deleting the market app's cache
deleting the market app's user data

any help anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated

I recently purchased a Samsung gem as my very first smartphone, my phone only came with android 2.1, and so I figured it would be best to update it to 2.2, after a few days I found out how to do this, and ever since I updated my 3g connection has been spotty at best (whereas before it was nearly flawless) and I have been utterly unable to connect to the android market and every time I try I get the message "A server error has occurred. Retry, or cancel to return to the previous screen.

things I have tried:
Rebooting my phone
deleting the market app's cache
deleting the market app's user data

any help anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated

Others have been where you are now. Sadly, that update on Samsung's phone will not work on the Verizon version, producing the same results as what happened to you. The only solution is to take it to a Verizon store and throw yourself on the mercy of the sales rep to see if you can exchange it. Neither Verizon's tech support or Samsung's will be able to fix it now. I know - I spent 3 hours on the phone with them over the same issue.

Upvote 0
Did Verizon authorize the upgrade? If they didn't, they will tell you the manufacturer warranty is null and void. The cell phone carriers have to authorize the upgrade first. I found that out from Alltel today. Alltel said they haven't authorized the update yet, so I will have to wait.

I am itching to upgrade, but don't want to brick my phone, so my only option is to wait. :(

Upvote 0
Did Verizon authorize the upgrade? If they didn't, they will tell you the manufacturer warranty is null and void. The cell phone carriers have to authorize the upgrade first. I found that out from Alltel today. Alltel said they haven't authorized the update yet, so I will have to wait.

I am itching to upgrade, but don't want to brick my phone, so my only option is to wait. :(

Well, in my case, it was the Verizon sales rep that told me to do it. So I rather had them over a barrel. But I think in normal circumstances I would have had the same response you got.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones