• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Sprint] Would love to downgrade to Sense 5.5! Help?

kar4ken

Lurker
May 31, 2014
I'm very dissatisfied with some of the changes in Sense 6. I don't really want to root my phone, but will do so if that's the only way to get back to Sense 5.5. Total noob android-wise, but have lots of experience with Windows (Win7 64 bit system currently), so with a bit of help I should be OK.

HTC One
Carrier: Sprint
Android Version: 4.4.2
PRI: Version 4.38003

:thinking: Don't know which tells the bootloader version, so, here's what's on the screen:
M7_WLS PVT SHIP S-ON TH
HBOOT--1.57.0000
Radio --1.01.20.0515
Open DSP--v32.120.274.0909
OS--5.03.651.3
eMMC--boot 2048MB

I haven't been able to locate an RUU for the Sense 5.5 version, but maybe someone can help. I have access to my husband's HTC one that has still has Sense 5.5, so I could copy it from there if that would work.

I would really appreciate help with this. I wish HTC would just make it easy to undo an unwanted update. Jeez, even Windows can do that.

I'm very dissatisfied with some of the changes in Sense 6. I don't really want to root my phone, but will do so if that's the only way to get back to Sense 5.5. Total noob android-wise, but have lots of experience with Windows (Win7 64 bit system currently), so with a bit of help I should be OK.

Hello and welcome to AF

Unfortunately it's a very long process to get from 4.4.2 back to any version before that. The first requirement is s-off and the 1.57.000 hboot your on now is very difficult to get s-off. If you were to actually get s-off you could flash a previous version know as a RUU (Rom Update Utility). If you would like to read about getting s-off and flashing RUU's ...Start here
[Guide] Get S-OFF hboot 1.55 after OTA or RumRunner failed (pouring 8) - xda-developers

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
Hello and welcome to AF

Unfortunately it's a very long process to get from 4.4.2 back to any version before that. The first requirement is s-off and the 1.57.000 hboot your on now is very difficult to get s-off. If you were to actually get s-off you could flash a previous version know as a RUU (Rom Update Utility). If you would like to read about getting s-off and flashing RUU's ...Start here
[Guide] Get S-OFF hboot 1.55 after OTA or RumRunner failed (pouring 8) - xda-developers

So does RUU work no matter what hboot as long as you are s-off?

Upvote 0
So does RUU work no matter what hboot as long as you are s-off?

The RUU looks for a few things .. your CID and MID must match the version of RUU your using. and with s-off you can downgrade version numbers. hboot downgrade is one of the leading reasons to get s-off. Having s-off also allows you to actually change your CID and MID so you can flash other carrier/version RUU like the Google Play Edition and the Developer Edition or AT&T to T-mobile

Upvote 0
The RUU looks for a few things .. your CID and MID must match the version of RUU your using. and with s-off you can downgrade version numbers. hboot downgrade is one of the leading reasons to get s-off. Having s-off also allows you to actually change your CID and MID so you can flash other carrier/version RUU like the Google Play Edition and the Developer Edition or AT&T to T-mobile

Ooohh so if update to the new Sense 6 update can I use an RUU to downgrade when I am s-off?

Upvote 0
Thanks very much for the welcome and the info. I don't know what I was thinking just accepting the upgrade without looking into it. I usually upgrade my husband's phone first, as he is not tech savvy and doesn't care much about the changes. I guess I just wasn't thinking.

I'll check out your link when I get a chance. Things have been a little crazier than usual around here lately, which also accounts for my delayed reply to you.

Cheers.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones