• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

would Nexus s owners still recommend? (vs Desire HD)

Haikuguy

Oct 24, 2010
Hi All

The Nexus S and the Desire HD are coming to Canada soon, and I need to choose one.

I wanted to know if Nexus S owners that had it for a while now still recommend this phone after the initial excitement...

Especially in comparison to the Desire HD.

Thanks !

I had a Desire HD for a few days before I took it back. I now have the Nexus S and am very happy with it.

The Desire HD went back for the following reasons:

Battery life was truly dreadful.
The screen whilst being large was horribly washed out.
I didn't like Sense after having had a Nexus One for some time.

Now, the Nexus S has a beautiful screen and lasts all day easily. Stock Android suits me fine but of course you can customize it how you like - launchers, Widgets etc...

In short, I recommended the Nexus S.

Upvote 0
Nexus s definatly,the DHD whilst being a brilliant phone is just to big,i really think 4" screen is at the limit...plus the DHD does need a better screen and its got sense,which is still a pain while being the least obtrusive of all the UIs...just the nexus,great screen,great size,a pure google phone,and although there are a few bugs with gingerbread they will all be sorted very soon...

Upvote 0
I have had mine for a couple of weeks now and i would more than recommend it to anyone. It's a great phone. Plus all the updates are directly from Google. And it's got a better cpu and gpu than the desire hd.

I just want to point out that the Nexus S' CPU isn't better than the Desire HD's. They're very close, but the DHD has it beat by just a smidgen. The GPU is an entirely different story though. The Nexus S' GPU absolutely destroys the DHD's; it's a good two times faster.

Upvote 0
I just want to point out that the Nexus S' CPU isn't better than the Desire HD's. They're very close, but the DHD has it beat by just a smidgen. The GPU is an entirely different story though. The Nexus S' GPU absolutely destroys the DHD's; it's a good two times faster.

Everything on the DHD was very smooth, as it is on the NS.

Upvote 0
Hi All

The Nexus S and the Desire HD are coming to Canada soon, and I need to choose one.
Sorry, where did you hear that the Nexus S is coming to Canada? I haven't heard any of the Android blogs I frequent mention this. Can you link your source please?

Edit:

Did you mean this article? Mobilicity makes sense as it uses the frequency that the Nexus S has but for Bell, Telus and Rogers it doesn't make sense to have a phone that doesn't work on your 3G network. Which brings me to the fact that if it DOES work on Rogers/Telus/Bell...it would also work on AT&T...and if there is an AT&T Nexus S to be released...then that is BIG news that would have gotten a lot of attention.

Upvote 0
Roze, that's exactly where I got the news from.

so you say it's not true?

Canada will be left behind yet again?
It depends on what carrier that Google will partner up with. There are a few, though they are smaller ones like Wind, Mobilicity and I believe another carrier uses the exact frequency that the Nexus S has. For Rogers, Bell or Telus, the Nexus S can only use the 2G frequencies as the 3G is incompatible, so it's very unlikely that they will carry smartphones that won't work on their 3G network.
The article stated that the Nexus might go to Rogers, Bells or Telus...which under this assumption, the 3G band must work and under that assumption...it would have the same frequencies as AT&T. I'm hoping the rumor is true since I rather have a Nexus S working with 3G and not just Edge.

*shrug* just take it with a pinch of salt I suppose

If there's an AT&T version and we're able to order it, then we're fine :) One reason I kind of like the Google store, lol. I was able to order the damn phone!

Upvote 0
So basically that means that the Nexus S will be sold unlocked in canada?
that's very good news !!!

And maybe more about the Nexus S vs the Desire HD?
(the DHD forum apparently no longer consider the battery as a problem, by the way...)

All I can give you is my experience - and after a few phone calls the DHD was down to a few % only in battery. Maybe it needed "training", but I've been through a lot of phones and consider myself to be proficient with them and I've never had a battery perform as bad as the DHD.

As you know, the DHD battery is 1200 mah whereas the Nexus S is 1500 mah. It's not the only factor (CPU, GPU, Screen, wireless connections all contributing to various battery loss) but it was bad enough for me to take the DHD back even though I quite liked it.

Edit:

Oh, and the screen sucks - it really is crap! If you had the DHD and the NS next to each other before you bought, this would clinch it for the NS.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones