Would rooting my contract HTC desire essentially be unlocking it for use on other networks?

Last Updated:

1. mandroid 5.0

mandroid 5.0 Member This Topic's Starter

I have a HTC desire on a contract, I'm just wondering if I root it if I'll be able to use other networks on it, and if I do root it, what bad things/the worst that could happen? thanks.:D

Advertisement
  2. wayrad

wayrad Well-Known Member

Rooting is not the same as unlocking. Rooting allows you to do things like delete carrier-installed bloatware, tweak various settings that the carrier and manufacturer would rather you didn't, and install custom ROMs and themes.

The worst that can happen is that you may brick your phone during the rooting process (a low probability if you have done the proper amount of reading and preparation), or inadvertently use your newfound access to its inner workings to brick it. Also, rooting voids your warranty. I would advise following the root threads for your phone for a while if you are interested - it isn't something to rush into.

3. Eris Ed

Eris Ed Well-Known Member

Rooting simply gives you access to parts of the phone's system that are otherwise hidden behind security. You can unlock your phone (for use on any network) without rooting.

4. chawski

chawski Well-Known Member

Didnt a law recently come out making it illegal for the carrier to void your warranty based on rooting or jailbreaking?

5. droidzone

droidzone Well-Known Member

Which country are you talking about? :D
    HTC's newest warranty policy excludes Software from the coverage of warranty. Simple said, if it can be proven that the hardware is fine and you've rooted and bricked it, they can refuse warranty.
    That said, HTC in many places are stupid enough to fail to pinpoint the problem of rooting related bricking.

6. wayrad

wayrad Well-Known Member

You're probably thinking of the recent (US federal, I think) ruling that, no matter what Steve Jobs says, it's not actually against the law to jailbreak an iPhone. It's always been considered legal to root an Android device. Doesn't mean they can't deny you warranty coverage in both cases, though.

That said, as long as the phone isn't bricked, it can always can be UNrooted again. :D

7. Rastaman-FB

Rastaman-FB Well-Known Member

its not considered legal, its is legal and considered a right as its part of GNU linux that you must have an ability to run as root
    being legal and voiding warranty are 2 different things tho

dasgoods likes this.