Would using Google Voice (on Android phone) use my plan minutes??

Last Updated:

1. taylormah

taylormah Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I didn't find a recent thread which discusses this topic, so I am starting a new one here. I use my google voice number extensively and recently moved to Android/Sprint Epic 4G. I heard that latest google voice app for android does not use call back method anymore to connect calls while calling using GV. So does it mean that now if I use GV to call another mobile phone, or if someone calls my google voice number from his mobile phone, it will deduct the minutes from my monthly quota??? Ofcourse, there is a way that I can get 3 numbers unlimited calls thing from Sprint, and set my google voice as one of the numbers, but what about when calling out??

Advertisement
  2. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

From my understanding, yes, it will use your minutes when used as you described.

3. taylormah

taylormah Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

What I am curious is what is gonna happen when someone calls my google voice number from his/her mobile phone?? Of course, the call is gonna go to Google server/exchange first and google is going to forward that call to my Sprint phone, but the caller id shown on my phone would be of a mobile phone, not my google voice number. So would Sprint look at the caller id of the number and automatically determine it is a mobile-to-mobile call and not deduct the minutes OR they would know it is coming from Google's servers and deduct my minutes??

4. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

Deduct minutes.

Other than that I'm not sure of the details as I only use GV for voicemail.

5. Rigmaster

Rigmaster Well-Known Member

I don't use GV precisely because it counts against your mins. It's no different that calls forwarded from a cable-provided or hardline phone call in that they all count against your plan.

6. BenChase7

BenChase7 VIP Member VIP Member

Im not sure... but, Sprint has unlimited calling to any mobile phone on any network... so, why would you even want to deal with GV?

7. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants Moderator

I have free pick3 from Sprint, so when I get calls from my GV number it's 100% free as I have my GV number listed =)

So it's essentially unlimited minutes.

8. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Well-Known Member

If the caller ID is from a mobile phone, then it should be free on the any mobile any network plan. Sprint bases the determination on the caller ID.