• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Would you buy it again?

My girlfriend has an Eris, and she can tell you. I'm on that phone almost as much as she is. I had a rooted Droid which is still the most fun gadget I've ever had (until it was stolen, unfortunately).

Her Eris is on the leak 2.1 v2 right now. Honestly, 2.1 made the Eris a completely different phone. It is so sleek that everyone always asks her about her "cooler iphone."

I completely recommend the Eris. It may be slower than the droid or have a smaller screen, but I think it's a hot little number at the price it goes for!

Upvote 0
Without a doubt. :)
The Eris is my first smartphone. I have had it a little over a month, and I had read the reviews and forum posts about the Droid and Eris. I was pretty aware of its shortcomings, but the price/value ratio was, and still is, solid. Verizon gets enough of my money each month without my giving them more up front!
I have not rooted or downloaded 2.1. I have never felt that I needed to have the newest and the best, I just need something that does more than the basic phone.
Yeah, I charge it nightly, but I don't have a problem with that. My husband had to that with his Chocolate. Reception is good, call quality is as good as I had on my LG8500. All in all, a fine phone for me.

Upvote 0
I would definitely buy it again. The only real downside to the Eris is the battery life. But if you have access to an outlet during the day, its a non-issue.

I am not worried about getting new phones. They always come out and something bigger and better is always on the horizon. If the eris is currently meeting your needs, then having your web browser load a page 3 nanoseconds faster does not necessarily merit paying more money.

I can upgrade just about every 4 months, but I will stick with the eris until something really compels me to upgrade.

Upvote 0
I would definitely buy it again. The only real downside to the Eris is the battery life. But if you have access to an outlet during the day, its a non-issue.

I am not worried about getting new phones. They always come out and something bigger and better is always on the horizon. If the eris is currently meeting your needs, then having your web browser load a page 3 nanoseconds faster does not necessarily merit paying more money.

I can upgrade just about every 4 months, but I will stick with the eris until something really compels me to upgrade.

+1 .. my sentiments exactly.

Upvote 0
Of course I would theoretically buy the Eris again.

I would buy it again for the same reasons I bought it the first time; it suits my needs (that's #1), it functions reliably (that's #2) and it's a very cool little device (ok, that's the real #1 ;)).

Apropos to the thread, heck yeah I'd buy it again. Apropos to nothing in particular, every time I see your avatar I can't help but think that Uma Thurman is running around out there somewhere with a sword and she wants you dead!!!

Upvote 0
I bought the eris after having a treo 755p for 2.5 years. I went with the Eris because I liked the form factor over the Droid (still do) and using the internet functions on the treo was so slow and painful I did not really consider the processor difference.

Having used the Eris and seen how much more satisfying and efficient using the Eris was for internet functionality over the Treo, I started to be bothered by the small lag and now am very eager for the nexsus one &/or the incredible. I am not sure if that makes sense.

So back in november before I had any idea of what was coming down the pike for android and verizon, I would definitely buy the Eris again. That being said, I may very well be shelling out far too much money for the incredible when it comes out (as will not be eligible for an upgrade for many many months).

-spg

Upvote 0
I personally would not buy this phone again, but not because of the phone. Verizon is beginning to suck a lot. We've been on Verizon for more than 10 years, back before when it was Bell (my step father opened the account with them). When I went in to upgrade to this phone it was a complete nightmare. I did update a little early which I knew wasn't going to be an easy task because they don't like people upgrading early, but I couldn't deal with that horrid Storm 1 anymore. Anyways, they finally agreed upon me opening a line and placing an old flip phone on it for 9.99$ a month. I figured a total of 149.00 after mail/rebate and the hanging 10$ fee a month til I can cancel line would be well worth getting this phone and getting rid of the storm. Everything went well and I love this phone it's great! until we got the bill, an extra 15.00$ activation fee for the old flip phone was added to the line.. I specifically asked the lady if there was any kind of extra fee one time or monthly aside from the 9.99 and she said no.. Lied to. Then aside from that an extra 65$ fee for data use in Canada which was messed up seeing as the only thing that I did while I was there was watch one 5 minute youtube video and send a couple emails.. I did that before and it was an extra 7$.. For it to jump up without any notification of change in my data contract is utter bs.

Anyways if you even read that lol I would get the phone again, if I could have it with another carrier...

Upvote 0
Yes. Consider that I bought 2 of them last Friday. I knew about the Incredible and I still bought them. While the Incredible will be very nice it will come at a hefty price. I got an Eris for me and the wife for free. From what I have read the Incredible will a bit bulkier than the Eris as well. That is a big reason I got the Eris, I love the fact that it only weighs 4.23 oz. I also do not want to invest a lot in a phone with LTE around the corner.

I'm also very happy with the Eris. It does everything I want it to do and it seems plenty fast to me. It really is an amazing device. I pretty much loaded up 2.1 shortly after I got the phone and I'm loving it. My only complaint about the phone is the camera which is really poor.

Upvote 0
I think you're to blame for that one. Keeping track of your coverage area is important, no matter who your carrier is. Being on T-Mobile or Sprint would probably not have prevented your issue. Going to another country from the US is a big thing. I believe it's easier in Europe where most countries are conjoined and they all have the same carriers available.

That is no reason to hate on vzw. Customer service may blow, but the service you actually pay for is top-notch. Coverage, 3g, no dropped calls, and arguably, the best selection of phones. Verizon doesn't cripple their phones like they used to. They're the leaders of the pack of cell phone providers.

Upvote 0
I am thinking about getting an Eris. If you could do it all over again, would you still buy it? I've read a ton of reviews but what do *you* think the pros and cons are?

EDIT: I am aware of the new phones coming out. I found this looking for info on the Incredible. I've been jerked around by the rumors of that phone for so long, I'm not sure I want it anymore. I don't think I want to spend that kind of money on a phone anymore. Now I am looking for something more affordable but still functional.

Best phone I've ever had! I absolutely love this phone. From the android OS, the sexy look of it to how fast it is (I have about 50 apps & 900 songs). It's amazing, & I would absolutely buy it again no doubt! Atleast until the newer version hits the stores haha. Great buy though! A lot cheaper & better than the sprint hero.

Upvote 0
My girlfriend has an Eris, and she can tell you. I'm on that phone almost as much as she is. I had a rooted Droid which is still the most fun gadget I've ever had (until it was stolen, unfortunately).

Her Eris is on the leak 2.1 v2 right now. Honestly, 2.1 made the Eris a completely different phone. It is so sleek that everyone always asks her about her "cooler iphone."

I completely recommend the Eris. It may be slower than the droid or have a smaller screen, but I think it's a hot little number at the price it goes for!

Your dam right bro! I loved this phone on 1.5, but 2.1 v2 put it on a whole notha level. Its so sleek and sexy i love it. With the addition of 2.1 id actually say its pretty dam fast. But definetly worth the buy!!! Oh an I'm sorry about the Droid bro that blows.

Upvote 0
Apropos to the thread, heck yeah I'd buy it again. Apropos to nothing in particular, every time I see your avatar I can't help but think that Uma Thurman is running around out there somewhere with a sword and she wants you dead!!!

That is about the weirdest post I've seen in these forums yet.

Heck yes I'd buy the phone again.

Personally, I go back to 'West World' with Frisco's avatar (which is way farther back than some of you here can remember). While I get the Kill Bill reference, to me he looks more like an evil android...
Sorry Frisco :)

Upvote 0
I'd definitely buy this phone again and have been recommending it to friends since getting it in November. Best phone I've ever owned and I'd only switch out for an HTC Android device with SenseUI of similar physical size (e.g. the Incredible). But, I'm very happy with it, especially after the latest 2.1 leak, and won't feel the need for a new phone at least until my contract is up.

Upvote 0
Frisco's avatar ...to me looks more like an evil android...
Sorry Frisco :)

No, that's alright. People staring at one another's avatars in here and remarking about them from time to time is a great break from the whining, tripe, obfuscations, rumors, lies and occasional facts posted.

I was going to ask about the turds-in-the-hammocks avatar of yours, but I decided not to in the interest of keeping the forums clean.

lol, etc.

Upvote 0
If I had to choose between a Droid and an Eris, I'd pick the Eris again. But given the phones coming to Verizon soon, I'd pick the Nexus One or the Incredible over the Eris any day. I'd probably pay an extra $150 or $200 for either of those phones. The Eris is my first smart phone, and I couldn't wait an extra 5 to 6 months for a better phone to come out.
My biggest problem with the Eris, (and I'm running the most recent 2.1) is the lag experienced. It has gotten better with the update, but it still gets pretty laggy at times.

Upvote 0
I would most definitely buy the eris again. It is the best smart phone I've ever owned. I chose it over the moto droid and winmo phones (that's what I previously owned). Of course it has its flaws, but every phone does. In a year (or maybe a few months) I'll probably fall in love with a new phone, but for now all I can say is I LOVE MY ERIS!!!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones