1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Would you buy/recommend Nexus S 4g?General

1. Timanator

Timanator Well-Known Member

Now that we've had this phone for a while, would you still buy it hind sight being 20/20 or recommend it to a friend?

I'm going to say prob not.

GPS signal is terrible.
    No news on updates or much from Google or Sprint(Both pointing to the other).
    Odd screen touch issues which I've had since the first day.

Which means time to move on and find another phone and maybe carrier.

What are you going to do?

Advertisement
    :
  2. timmyh318

timmyh318 Well-Known Member

i have one. i dont use it anymore it just basically is an just in case phone but the answer to your question is a no. its not an awful phone. the specs are a lil dated but its snappy. yea has horrible gps and radio issues but its a samsung so nothing new there. but i wouldnt rebuy it. its an ok phone nothing more nothing less.
  3. Hell no. Horrible phone. I would not even take it if given for free!
  4. Timanator

To be honest Thai, it's not a bad phone at all. It's just falls below my expectations for the GPS(Which I really would like to use more for Golf) and the whole Nexus thing is just a bit of a name game?
  5. timmyh318

its an ok phone. the gps and radios are pure samsung trash i really hope now moto is googles they take the nexus brand over. say what u want about moto but they can make a radio. get rid of blur and that stupid pentile display and you have the makings of what could be a bad a@@ nexus. alot of nexus owners are upset cuase they were lied to. cant blame em. the nexus brands motto should be "everything coming soon......soon....well were in testing....soon....soon....soon...maybe???.....soon...
  6. kingp

kingp Well-Known Member

...I would recommend the two year old EVO 4G over the Nexus S 4G, to be honest. The EVO has great radios, that work, still has 4G, and is one of the most hackable android phones there is, in case you want to put a ROM on it.
  7. When i first got the Nexus S 4G in 11/2011 for my wife, i actually almost bought a 2nd one for me instead of iPhone. It was great initially...smooth. Then i started to use it more on a daily basis...then i realize what a POS it is.

What use is it as a SMART-PHONE if the antenna sucks for cell, GPS, and data?? It is a horrible phone because it can't pick up a cell signal. In my house, i can make calls with my iPhone...yet, the Nexus is searching for signal constantly...and the same story at my wife's workplace (which explains poor battery life, barely alive after 8 hours of basically standby!!). GPS is aweful. Data is the worst! How can Samsung or Google even let this phone past quality control??!! Unless i am standing right in front of the Wifi router, it drops data connection anywhere else!! WTF?! So, even with Wifi, this phone sucks battery because it can't find the damn signal! So, the whole concept of a phone that is smart fails.

Then you have the camera. Cool it has a flash, unlike ATT Captivate. Woohoo. WRONG. The picture quality is horrible...just horrible except in bright sunlight. Anything else, including any movement by user or people in the pic and the pictures fail miserably! My brother and I did a comparison. Took the same pic indoor of my niece. He has the Captivate and i have the Nexus S. No fighting chance. Not even close. The Captivate pics look amazing while the Nexus pics came out like a children's play camera!! So, somewhere along the line, Samsung/Google downgraded the hardware in the Nexus (sensor maybe?). Guess what? Samsung/Google pulled the same crap with the Galaxy Nexus (vs. Galaxy SII).

Software is buggy. Freezes frequently, even during phone calls!! Again, great phone, huh?! Rebooting is my wife's favorite thing nowadays to keep it running. She is tolerating it simply because she only text and make phone calls.

The ONLY thing that i like is the perfect sized screen (4.0"). But, this generation of SAMOLED colors are way too oversaturated. I must admit that this does not really bother me. BT phone works well. Thank goodness!
  8. Timanator

I like the camera and take alot of pictures and videos on the golf course. It's about the same quality as my buddy's iPhone 4s and better than the Atrix and Galaxy S
  9. Yeah, in bright sunlight on stationary objects, it works well. But, slow shutter speed and poor indoor shooting are major issues. I just don't know how you guys put up with the piss poor radios (cell, data, and GPS).
  10. moto139

moto139 Member

Could have been a great phone, could being the key word! It does alot of things well but being a phone(total failure) and having the ability to connect to the Internet(passable). What is remarkable is Samsung has sold a crap ton of these and continue to.......... Nope!
  11. timmyh318

i agree the cameras not awful on the nexus. about on par with the epic 4g. but its not on par with the iphone 4s. no droid has a better camera than the 4s yet. i know this is a droid forum but lets not get carried away. apple does some things very well and the camera is one of them.
  12. warbux

warbux Well-Known Member

It has a great form factor. Other than that....meh.
  13. I recommend HTC phones!!
  14. Timanator

I'm starting to agree with Thai more than disagree. Had to caddy at Shell Houston qualifier yesterday, the phone lost GPS signal for extended periods of time on the free way to the course. On a nice sunny cloudless day, and txt erroring out when trying to sent, etc...

Anyone know a good Android phone None Samsung with Sprint?
  15. Buy HTC if u want to stay with Android. Remember part of the problem is with android software...so dont blame 100% on Nexus S! After experiencing 2 top tier Android phones, I was forced to jump to apple for stability and reliability. A smartphone needs to be a phone first and foremost.