Would You Ditch Your Epic for no Slideout Keyboard?

Keep Slideout QWERTY Keyboard?

Poll closed May 25, 2011.
  1. I prefer to have a physical keyboard.

24 vote(s)
    57.1%
  2. I would prefer not to have it.

16 vote(s)
    38.1%
  3. I love lamp.

2 vote(s)
    4.8%
Last Updated: 2012-01-22 12:13:29
  1. forddna

forddna Well-Known Member

Now that we have all had our phones for a while, how many of you actually use the keyboard? If someone offered you another Epic sans slideout, would you take it?

For me, I'd rather a bit slimmer phone. I have no trouble typing on the touch keyboard, in portrait, with acrylic fingernails. :) (thought I thought I would, so I waited MONTHS for this phone)

I will probably never buy another phone with a slideout qwerty unless the phone is otherwise insanely awesome.

Advertisement
    Maverickc5 likes this.
  2. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

I do not use the physical keyboard religiously however, there are times in my opinion where a touchscreen just isn't enough. My personal thought is that the "size" is worth the benefit... at least for me.
  3. hydralisk

hydralisk Well-Known Member

Wouldn't be easy. I've really fallen in love with the game gripper on my epic. It makes emulators a million times more enjoyable. I use the keyboard to type every single text message. I really hate on-screen keyboards. Swype has actually gotten much worse over time.

The Galaxy S2 looks freaking amazing though. I love it. I want it. I Just want it... with a keyboard [​IMG]
  4. Patrick1026

Patrick1026 New Member

No. Although I don't use the slide-out keyboard often, it's handy when I have a lot to type, such as in a lengthy list.
  5. EmM HoLLa

EmM HoLLa Well-Known Member

I prefer having a physical keyboard but there are 2 things that would make me switch to one without..

1. I am having issues syncing my phonebook with Bluetooth on my BMW iDrive.. (Very ANNOYING)

2. This phone keeps a log of all text messages send and received in the call log.. So I have to scroll though in order to get to the calls.. Even for deleted text messages (HUGE ANNOYANCE)

If there is another Android Phone on the market that can alleviate these annoyances I want that phone..
  6. cds0699

cds0699 Well-Known Member

Nah, I'd keep the epic with the physical keyboard. I don't mind a lil bigger for the option. I use the physical keyboard about 70% of the time and the onscreen the rest. I am rather impressed with Swype though, and in 1.9 years when I upgrade again, who knows how I'll feel.
  7. BubZX

BubZX Well-Known Member

love the keyboard. would not get a phone without one. all tho i do use the on screen alot but for short texts only
  8. IAmSixNine

IAmSixNine Well-Known Member

I have had to work on a couple of Vibrants and Captivates. Galaxy S devices with no keyboards. I am waiting for the day when Sprint gets them. They are very nice. Same display, much lighter and definately thinner.
  9. joeboy9132

joeboy9132 Active Member

FYI,, Sprint just reduced the price of the EPIC to $ 149.99,, they do price Match .
  10. digitool

digitool Well-Known Member

if I'm typing out an email on the go I'll use the keyboard or whenever it is more convenient than the touchscreen.

I like swype but its been buggy, but i can't tell you how many times my physical keyboard doesn't pick up that i'm pressing a key... its really annoying... and the voice to text feature just guesses a phrase, i'm convinced it doesn't even try to figure out what you're saying, it's never accurate enough to use.
  11. forddna

#2 is a Froyo thing, not an Epic thing. It didn't do that til the Froyo update. I can't stand it, either.
  12. forddna

Makes a big difference if you want to use an extended battery..that extra bulk on this phone is insane.
  13. la sal

la sal Well-Known Member

No because the slideout keyboard is much easier to type longer sentences on forums such as this.
  14. ijeggert

ijeggert Well-Known Member

If I didn't want / need to have the physical keyboard... I would have gotten an EVO.

Although.... the display on the Epic reason enough to get it.
  15. ZiggSVO

ZiggSVO Well-Known Member

The physical keyboard is what is keeping me from the Nexus S 4G lol.
    And the fact that I've rooted, ROM'd, themed, and pushed all sorts of modded apps to this phone that it out performs and makes this phone whore happy lol

So until sprint gets another "epic" device with a keyboard, my Epic is here to stay :)
  16. forddna

lol I can't use the physical keyboard at all. The buttons are so slick/smooth that my fingernails slide right off of them before I can mash a key. If they were a rubberized type, it would work better for me, for sure.

Oh a side note, since Sprint cut there coverage map drastically, I've been browsing AT&T and Verizon. The HTC Thunderbolt does not have a slider, but is the exact same thickness. Go figure. The other Galaxy S phones are much slimmer, though. Thunderbolt actually has a 4.3" screen but is not as long as our phone. 4.75" vs 4.9" and is also narrower. I think I like a biggish phone but could definitely live with it being a bit slimmer, especially with the intent of using ane xtended battery from time to time. Phone doesn't fit in my pocket with it.
  17. ZiggSVO

Looser pants? Kidding lol
    I've been with Sprint for way to long to leave them lol
    I had like 3 text messages to a guam number while the person was in the same hotel as me in texas and was getting charged international rates...
    they billed me and extra 40 dollars, called them up talked with retentions and ended up getting credited like 140-150 :p
    so they try to make you happy aslong as your not abusing it lol
    but yea I def need a qwerty lol. I had the EVO before my Epic and I didnt know that I missed the keyboard so much until I used the Epic lol.
    So no I dont absolutely need it, but I love having it when I want it
  18. forddna

I'm with you. We had a Nextel business account for about 10 years and then swapped to Sprint maybe 5-6 years ago. Business Premier account. They definitely take good care of us, but if it is a matter of having the ability to make a phone call or not, I will have to make the switch. :(
  19. ZiggSVO

I understand that completely. If I didn't have a good reception area I would probably opt out to...but prices are hard to beat lol
  20. forddna

I know! Comparable Verizon plan is $30/mo more, and AT&T would be $30-45 more depending on which data package I got.
  21. ZiggSVO

I think the AT&T vs Tmo commercials are hilarious considering they are trying to merge lol

I know this is about the keyboard but unless the new phone has an equally awesome screen I cant ditch the epic lol
  22. capitoldog

capitoldog Well-Known Member

I was annoyed with this as well. But now when I am looking for a call I go to call log> menu> view by. This allows me to sort through dialed calls, received calls, or missed calls. Waaaaay faster than scrolling through all of the texts! I text considerably more than talk. ;-)
  23. forddna

It shouldn't have texts in the CALL log to begin with. You should be able to view ALL OF YOUR CALLS at one time, without friggin TEXTS being there.

Now you have to view ONLY missed calls, ONLY dialed calls, or ONLY received calls just to NOT see texts. You cannot view a combination of all calls without texts.

Whoever thought it would be a good idea to put texts in the call log needs a swift kick in the nuts.
  24. badankles

badankles Well-Known Member

i don't use the slider much, but i'm glad it's there. i use swype most of the time, but it's still a pain to enter codes and non-real words (yeah, long press to change keyboard, but it's quicker to pop out the slider). and, sometime i just like using the physical keyboard to break it up. nice to have the option and it doesn't really add much more bulk compared to non-sliders.