Would you get a 16gb card or 8x8gb?

Last Updated:

1. varaonaid

varaonaid Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hello,

I'm going ahead and grabbing a few generic accessories before my first Android arrives and I wanted to get people's opinions. I know in the end it's personal preference but I though it would be interesting to get other perspectives.

I plan to get some sort of micro sdhc storage for my phone. I was all set on getting a 16gb class 6 card and am still kind of leaning that way. But I noticed that I can get 3 of the 8gb class 6 microsdhc cards for the same price. What would you do? I mean it certainly is more convenient to just be able to leave the one card in the phone and not worry about it but is it worth the extra 8gb of space to switch them in and out and keep track of the tiny little things?

What are you thoughts and opinions? What would you do given the choice? *sigh* space vs convenience...

Advertisement
  2. shotgunfool

shotgunfool Well-Known Member

IMHO i would buy the 16gb as its so much easier, to just have 1 card which is secure and safely in my phone than to be carring around 2 spares and 1 inside my phone, and being such small cards, i would easily loose or damage them, thus wasting money ;)

but thats just my 2 cents on it ;) but ofcourse its all personal opinions, if you think that you will need the extra 8gb then you'll have to sacrifice the convience of just having one card and carry the others with you. or just get the one card and save on space.

3. TheSultan

TheSultan Well-Known Member

I would personally lose them if I had to keep track of 3 different cards. I also lose track of what was on each! I like the ability to toss a 16gb in and never have to deal with worrying...plenty of space for me.

Then again, I have an 80gb classic ipod that I use for music, so I don't need much room on my phone.

4. varaonaid

Went ahead and pulled the trigger on the 16gb. The worries you expressed were the same as mine so I'm going with simplicity. By the time I need more space (if I ever do!) the 32gb will be available in class 6 at affordable prices so I can upgrade then. Thanks for the replies.

PS Sorry for the typo in the title. Meant to say 3x8gb but the forums wouldn't let me edit it.

5. dmodert66

dmodert66 Well-Known Member

Good choice depending on phone. I'm not sure how the Incredible is set up, but the Droid requires a battery pull to get the card out. Not convenient at all. Though we they packaged a 16 gig with the Droid, so it was a non issue. Can't wait till the 32 gigs come down in price :)

6. PurpleSkyz

PurpleSkyz Well-Known Member

What a funny post, I actually JUST bought a 16 gb and own 3 x 8gb. But to me, the decision was not difficult, swapping sd cards is such a hassle its not an option in my opinion

7. varaonaid

Well, I thought about trying to be organized and having a card each for music movies & pics but I know that won't work because I'd never have the "photos" card in when I wanted to take a pic!

8. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants Moderator

check out the class 10 16gb microsd

Sent from my SPH-M900 using Tapatalk

9. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

Worth is always subjective -- no matter what the topic. It wouldn't be worth the hassle to me as swapping SD cards requires a battery pull on the Droid. YMMV.

10. Medodroid

Medodroid Member

Probably a stupid questin, but does the micro SD cards drain any battery when idle ? I mean is there any difference in battery draining between a faster and a slower, a bigger capacity and a smaller capacity card ? :p

11. varaonaid

Yes I did...but in the "real world" testing and reviews that I read, the speed was more along the lines of a class 2 and it was getting bad reviews because everyone said it wasn't worth it. The card I got was getting consistently 7-8mbps which is above class 6 so I'm pretty happy with the decision.

AFAIK, it shouldn't drain the battery at idle because it's flash/solid state memory meaning no moving parts like a hard drive. It takes power just to keep a hard drive spinning but I don't think that the SD would. However, I could always be wrong. ;)

I'm SOOOOO glad that I chose the 16gb card because even though the pics of the covers show the microsdhc slot, in the final product you still have to remove the back cover. So many thanks for your encouragement in that direction confirming what I was already leaning towards!