• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Would you get a 16gb card or 8x8gb?

varaonaid

Android Enthusiast
Sep 4, 2009
VT!
Hello,

I'm going ahead and grabbing a few generic accessories before my first Android arrives and I wanted to get people's opinions. I know in the end it's personal preference but I though it would be interesting to get other perspectives.

I plan to get some sort of micro sdhc storage for my phone. I was all set on getting a 16gb class 6 card and am still kind of leaning that way. But I noticed that I can get 3 of the 8gb class 6 microsdhc cards for the same price. What would you do? I mean it certainly is more convenient to just be able to leave the one card in the phone and not worry about it but is it worth the extra 8gb of space to switch them in and out and keep track of the tiny little things?

What are you thoughts and opinions? What would you do given the choice? *sigh* space vs convenience...

IMHO i would buy the 16gb as its so much easier, to just have 1 card which is secure and safely in my phone than to be carring around 2 spares and 1 inside my phone, and being such small cards, i would easily loose or damage them, thus wasting money ;)

but thats just my 2 cents on it ;) but ofcourse its all personal opinions, if you think that you will need the extra 8gb then you'll have to sacrifice the convience of just having one card and carry the others with you. or just get the one card and save on space.

Upvote 0
Went ahead and pulled the trigger on the 16gb. The worries you expressed were the same as mine so I'm going with simplicity. By the time I need more space (if I ever do!) the 32gb will be available in class 6 at affordable prices so I can upgrade then. Thanks for the replies.

PS Sorry for the typo in the title. Meant to say 3x8gb but the forums wouldn't let me edit it.

Upvote 0
I mean it certainly is more convenient to just be able to leave the one card in the phone and not worry about it but is it worth the extra 8gb of space to switch them in and out and keep track of the tiny little things?
Worth is always subjective -- no matter what the topic. It wouldn't be worth the hassle to me as swapping SD cards requires a battery pull on the Droid. YMMV.

Upvote 0
check out the class 10 16gb microsd

Sent from my SPH-M900 using Tapatalk

Yes I did...but in the "real world" testing and reviews that I read, the speed was more along the lines of a class 2 and it was getting bad reviews because everyone said it wasn't worth it. The card I got was getting consistently 7-8mbps which is above class 6 so I'm pretty happy with the decision.

Probably a stupid questin, but does the micro SD cards drain any battery when idle ? I mean is there any difference in battery draining between a faster and a slower, a bigger capacity and a smaller capacity card ? :p

AFAIK, it shouldn't drain the battery at idle because it's flash/solid state memory meaning no moving parts like a hard drive. It takes power just to keep a hard drive spinning but I don't think that the SD would. However, I could always be wrong. ;)

I'm SOOOOO glad that I chose the 16gb card because even though the pics of the covers show the microsdhc slot, in the final product you still have to remove the back cover. So many thanks for your encouragement in that direction confirming what I was already leaning towards!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones