• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Would you guys recommend this phone?

I do not understand what people have against this phone
It does everything it advertises and does it faster than most droids
The keyboard is really great, touchscreen is super responsive and if you fiddle with the settings to your liking the battery could last up to 3 days (in my own experience)

If you root it (whcih is really ,really simple) you can even delete MotoBlur parts which clog up the system

have had this phone since september and it is still just as snappy as it was when i first bought it

So yes, i would recommend it

Upvote 0
Whenever I buy a phone I research for it. But this was the phone I went krazy for. I saw Moto Charm and just fell for this phones charm.
Let me tell you why would I not recommend you this phone:

1. Very poor battery life, will hardly survive till 7 hours on normal use (I'm using it!)
  2. Non-response of touchscreen. Example:- I've enable passcode for phone security so that whenever phone light goes off, phone should ask for passcode to ON it again. But this is not the case most of the time my phone doesnot get lock even after screenout time.
  3. Touchscreen doesnot work at times
  4. You can't send audio files (songs) via bluetooth, you will have to download a 3rd party app
  5. no option to disable mobile data, I had to download "quick settings" app for this.
  6. Android 2.1 is old now. It has android 2.1 and I don't think motorola is going to update is sooner or later.
  7. Because it has android 2.1, you will run short of internal memory to download apps. I could download only few apps because there is no option to move apps to SD in 2.1 and for this I don't wanna use any 3rd party app.
  8. IF this phone is all dependent on 3rd party apps. Than why should one go for it?
This is the cons of this phone. But this phone also has some pros:

1. a charming look
  2. comfortable keypads
  3. gorilla screen, lets you care free when comes to screen protection
  4. optical trackpad
  5. moto blur
But infront of cons, pros will not satisfy you.
I would recommend you for this phone especially for it's poor battery.

Upvote 0
I havent been able to sync it with my gmail account and thus no applications i have ever runned on my phone...
plz help..:(

I do not understand what people have against this phone
It does everything it advertises and does it faster than most droids
The keyboard is really great, touchscreen is super responsive and if you fiddle with the settings to your liking the battery could last up to 3 days (in my own experience)

If you root it (whcih is really ,really simple) you can even delete MotoBlur parts which clog up the system

have had this phone since september and it is still just as snappy as it was when i first bought it

So yes, i would recommend it

Upvote 0
Whatever you have mentioned is totally true... i agree....
but what to do with this phone...i just cannot install any application on it..
plzz help :(

Whenever I buy a phone I research for it. But this was the phone I went krazy for. I saw Moto Charm and just fell for this phones charm.
Let me tell you why would I not recommend you this phone:

1. Very poor battery life, will hardly survive till 7 hours on normal use (I'm using it!)
  2. Non-response of touchscreen. Example:- I've enable passcode for phone security so that whenever phone light goes off, phone should ask for passcode to ON it again. But this is not the case most of the time my phone doesnot get lock even after screenout time.
  3. Touchscreen doesnot work at times
  4. You can't send audio files (songs) via bluetooth, you will have to download a 3rd party app
  5. no option to disable mobile data, I had to download "quick settings" app for this.
  6. Android 2.1 is old now. It has android 2.1 and I don't think motorola is going to update is sooner or later.
  7. Because it has android 2.1, you will run short of internal memory to download apps. I could download only few apps because there is no option to move apps to SD in 2.1 and for this I don't wanna use any 3rd party app.
  8. IF this phone is all dependent on 3rd party apps. Than why should one go for it?
This is the cons of this phone. But this phone also has some pros:

1. a charming look
  2. comfortable keypads
  3. gorilla screen, lets you care free when comes to screen protection
  4. optical trackpad
  5. moto blur
But infront of cons, pros will not satisfy you.
I would recommend you for this phone especially for it's poor battery.

Upvote 0
I don't think you can fairly compare, without a value judgement, this phone to new android models that run a more recent version of Android with better specs but cost $200 plus contract. The charm can be had for less than $100 on ebay without contract. I think the battery is ok if you run tasker, advanced task killer, and monitor your wireless connection.

This phone has flaws. GPS is bad. I am annoyed by the inability to run apps from the sd card, and some apps I have to track down on the web because the market doesn't display them for the charm. And while not all apps look quite right on the charm, not enough apps look off to offset having a tactile keyboard and paying $75 on craigslist for it.

I am not as familiar with the aforementioned complaints like bluetooth transfers so if those concerns are deal-breakers, then don't get it. But if you are looking at ways to save money and avoid getting locked into $80 a month contracts, then this is an option for you.

Upvote 0
I got two of these phones, I got them for the portability
one year later (one day after the warranty expired) it crashed with a
boot loader error, I could revive it but would only work on 2G no longer
on 3G, had to get another phone. by the way Motorola would not cover the warranty! 18 months later the second has died with no chance of revival, need I say more, these phones are in perfect shape they weren't abused,
It might have been a fluke that one died but both of them ?
I have lost faith in Motorola.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones