Would You Rather Have NO Physical Keyboard?

Would you rather the Droid have a...

1. Physical Keyboard, just like it is

47 vote(s)
    66.2%
  2. Virtual Keyboard, like the iPhone

17 vote(s)
    23.9%
  3. I like toast

7 vote(s)
    9.9%

Last Updated:

1. Stangs55

Stangs55 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Just curious...I'd definitely prefer a Droid with only a virtual keyboard (like the iPhone). Take away the sliding keyboard and you'd likely have a phone slimmer than the 3GS and more comparable in weight.

Advertisement
  2. Jon Nale

Jon Nale Well-Known Member

I actually cannot stand virtual keyboards. The main reason I like the Droid is because of the physical keyboard (there are other reasons as well, but that is one of the major ones).

I have an iPod Touch, and I make typing mistakes ALL the time. Out of all the virtual keyboards, I feel like the iPhone has one of the better ones.

3. gthrift

gthrift Guest

Then you might want to wait for the HTC Passion. Rumor is that it will be launching in Dec sometime.

4. 4424

4424 Member

the eris should be released the same day and although it's not running 2.0, it likely will get an update when htc hero's does. it's a good option for those that do not want a keyboard.

5. Jacqueline

Jacqueline Well-Known Member

I have found the HTC WinMo virtual keyboard to be better than my iTouch keyboard. While neither one is as good as having a physical keyboard, I'm ok either way.

6. NSXLA

NSXLA Well-Known Member

Is it confirmed that the virtual key board DOES NOT support multi touch,(as of now) by engadget.

7. AdamHC

AdamHC Well-Known Member

They shouldve made both. A version with a hardware keyboard and one without.

8. knickerbocker

knickerbocker Well-Known Member

That is not true. Every other review I have read said that it does support. Engadget review is incorrect.

9. Stangs55

Stangs55 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Yup. Short answer: The Droid does support multitouch, however it is only implemented in the keyboard as of now. We can hope for future updates to add support to the browser, etc.

10. AdamHC

AdamHC Well-Known Member

When the Hero ROM is updated to 2.0, does that mean if we install this ROM onto a DROID it will then have multi touch?

11. michaelkahl

michaelkahl Well-Known Member

I like toast, because I'd like a better physical keyboard with offset keys and no D-pad.

12. AdamHC

AdamHC Well-Known Member

I like the idea of a d pad. If I'm in landscape mode and typing frequently i'd like to have a d pad to easily flick through menus etc. Having to move your hand to the screen to select stuff while the keyboard is out seems awkward. But I agree a better keyboard would be better. If the keyboard isn't done well it mayaswell not be done at all.

13. Barbara

Barbara Well-Known Member

I like having both the physical and virtual. It's nice to have options.

14. rawness

rawness Well-Known Member

I absolutely wanted a physical keyboard...I just hope it's a good keyboard, which I won't really know until I have a chance to use it.

Well they kinda did. If you hate the physical keyboard you never have to use it since there is a virtual one.

I can't see anyone who was genuinely loving the phone not getting it because of the physical keyboard, but I could see plenty not getting it if it lacked the keyboard.

My understanding was that Android supported multitouch, but the virtual keyboards on the Droid did not.

15. knickerbocker

The Droid is Android 2.0. Verizon has made no edits to the OS.

I have used the Droid and I can say that is supports MT on the virtual keyboard.

16. NSXLA

NSXLA Well-Known Member

So let me get this straight - all 3 editors on the engadget are lying through their teeth? I would take their word for it - since all three got a Droid to review. What proof do you have that it supports multi touch? these reviews are you speaking of are just reading the spec sheet. Either way i do believe multitouch support will be added in the future, currently none.

17. knickerbocker

outside of the fact that I have used a demo unit, here:

Motorola Droid (Verizon Wireless) Smartphone reviews - CNET Reviews

"The capacitive display's touch interface is quick and responsive and we love the added multitouch capability."

18. maderhatter

maderhatter Well-Known Member

Why wouldnt you want both? And I also like toast!

19. Redflea

Redflea Well-Known Member

I'd ditch the keyboard, just for the sake of a thinner, trimmer form factor, and room for a bigger battery.

20. dmodert66

dmodert66 Well-Known Member

Many of their comments where targeted at the browser, not the on screen keyboard IIRC...I won't really miss multi touch browsing since I have never used it, but it would be nice if they added it at some point in the future...

21. michaelk

michaelk Well-Known Member

agreed- either everyone else is wrong (and the description in the SDK- "The framework's multi-touch support ensures that key presses aren't missed while typing rapidly with two fingers.") or engadget is wrong.

22. NSXLA

NSXLA Well-Known Member

23. michaelk

michaelk Well-Known Member

i think that's the beef that I've seen- you still have to double tap to zoom the brower rather than pinch becasue the browser doesn't have multitouch yet.

24. gthrift

gthrift Guest

I don't think is that the browser doesn't support it, that should be easy, the problem, from what I've read, is that Apple has a patent on multi-touch gestures. I'm not sure how Palm is getting by with it on the Pre but I don't think Google wants to push it just yet.

25. NSXLA

NSXLA Well-Known Member

Yep from the same review you linked

Speaking of which, the Android virtual keyboard is largely the same, but Google says it revamped the keyboard layout for faster, more-accurate typing. We haven't noticed specific design changes just yet, but we'll explore a bit more. Also, as Google puts it, "the multitouch support ensures that key presses aren't missed while typing rapidly with two fingers." When using either keyboard, Android 2.0 offers a better dictionary that includes contacts names.