Would you recommend a Captivate to a friend?

Would you encourage a friend to buy a Captivate?

1. Yes

98 vote(s)
    62.4%
  2. No

41 vote(s)
    26.1%
  3. Depends... (clarify)

18 vote(s)
    11.5%

Last Updated:

1. ZDroid1

ZDroid1 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Simple question. Please only people who own (or used to own the Captivate may participate in the poll).

Advertisement
  2. BigCiX

BigCiX Well-Known Member

I've recommended to iphone users who are bored of iOS. I tell new smartphone users that the iphone is easier to use but will get bored after a few months. So yes and no.

3. Cuerbo

Cuerbo Well-Known Member

I would recommend Android phones to a friend but not any of the Galaxy S line or any made by Samsung for that matter. The back and forth we've all dealt with these past couple of months I would not want someone else going through the same. Phones aren't cheap and neither is breaking a contract if it turns into a lemon.

4. CaCHooKa Man

CaCHooKa Man Well-Known Member

ive recommended the captivate and all the other US variants of the galaxy s to all of my friends that are looking for a new phone

5. ZDroid1

ZDroid1 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'm not participating in the poll myself even though I started it. Lol.

I was asked by a friend today and I told him NOT to get a Captivate. The gps and other problems bother me, but I'm still ok with the phone. But I can't in good conscience recommend it to anyone.

6. Cuerbo

Cuerbo Well-Known Member

Just the way Samsung has handled the issue is enough not to recommend. It's a fact of life that products will have their issues, however, it's how you deal with those issues that sets you apart. Stay classy Samsung.

7. Infinite-t

Infinite-t Well-Known Member

Depends. If they were stuck with Att for.some reason, I say I would recommend it. If they had a choice.of carriers, no way, and no galaxy s. Even though I like my captivate much more than my old.iphone, the annoying little.bugs, glitches, hickups, etc are very aggrivating... I hope they get ironed out because otherwise, this is going to be a loooong 2 years.

8. lrs421

lrs421 Active Member

^^Same as above. I would only recommend the captivate if the person was locked into At&t and didn't want an iphone. Issues and all it's still better than the blackberry bold it replaced.

9. Android_J

Android_J Well-Known Member

Not only no but HELL NO. I think the Captivate is a junk phone (GPS, antenna attenuation, lag). I've had a Samsung phone way in the past and it was junk. I thought things would be different years later but it seems Samsung is still a half rate company with lousy post-sale support.

If anyone from Samsung is reading this, good job. Not only will I *never* buy your phones again, I won't buy *anything* made by Samsung. And I'll definitely tell everyone I know not to buy Samsung.

HTC or Motorola are they way to go if you want Android or WP7.

10. AOPoster

AOPoster Member

I'm going to have to agree. This was my very first smartphone. I came extremely close to exchanging it for an iPhone during the 30 day trial beucase one of the main reasons I wanted a fancy phone was for GPS. The broken GPS is especially painful for me, and I completely bought into Samsung's promise to fix it. After the "fix" this afternoon, nothing's changed, and I agree with others it will be a long 2 years.

It's a shame because other than the GPS, I think the Captivate is an enjoyable experience, but GPS is extremely important and a dealbreaker for sure.

11. CrimsonPride

CrimsonPride Well-Known Member

well this post asks for trolls, as many who have posted here probably never owned the phone. but i would recommend it to a friend, even after the update bricked it. because once i am now without it i cant stand it. i have friends with droid 2's, mytouch slide all kinds of phones and none of them come close to it. i would make sure they knew about the gps but i still think that is way over played

12. Android_J

Android_J Well-Known Member

I know I just wrote some harsh stuff but might have to retract some of my words. I just downloaded the latest update and I'm seeing 10 sats and locking on 10 inside my house! Accuracy is between 32.8 feet and 16.4 feet. Lock is very fast (under 5 seconds). If this latest update stays working then I think Samsung might get a pass...for now.

13. Chris_Marie

Chris_Marie Well-Known Member

I would recommend this phone but warn about the GPS issue. For some GPS doesn't matter-like my mom who bought the Vibrant after playing with one of my old android phones for all of a day. Seeing what AT&T has to offer as of right now I couldn't recommend any others.

14. MikeyMike01

MikeyMike01 Well-Known Member

It's not that cut and dry.

You have to explain to people the Pros and Cons of both products. Then let them choose for themselves.

If you don't, you're a fanboy. And no one wants that. ;)

15. Smoghog

Smoghog Well-Known Member

I would recommend this phone to someone who is computer-savvy, into technology or looking for more than just calling and texting. For the average user, though, not so much. Smartphones these days take a fair amount of learning and adjusting to really make them worth having, if you aren't looking for a bunch of features and alternate uses, there's no point in having one. I'd recommend this to a friend, but not a family member; etc...

16. dmp316

dmp316 Well-Known Member

Yes i would for sure recommend this phone to anyone looking for somthing better than the IPhone. I have tried to get my wife to get rid of her iphone to get this phone. But she will not. I am still trying though

17. getDange

getDange Well-Known Member

I was recommending it like crazy until I found the GPS issues on my phone. Then lately I was recommending the TMOB variant to a TMOB contracted friend, with the advice to wait until the GPS fix is released and I can test and fully confirm the phone is near perfect. I was hugely disappointed yesterday after updating my phone. I just hope that that update was not the final GPS update.

18. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

Once the GPS is fixed and it's updated to Android 2.2, without question.

The Android 2.2 issue is important because without an unlimited plan, data usage is important. As a person installs more apps, this will increase. If something starts pushing you over the limit, you need to know what it is... and the only apps out there that do this only work on 2.2.

19. automagrt

automagrt Well-Known Member

Nope. Way too many bugs that should have been worked out before the phone was launched. Typical Samsung though. Release a product that's only half-finished and then don't support it.

20. qwertyaas

qwertyaas Well-Known Member

It's a great phone but there seems to be a lot of 'lesser' batches of this phone going around. Some without the ability to go into Recovery/Download mode. Some with completely broken GPS. Some with other issues.

Little things add up. Regardless, it's still a great phone.

This update and the other incremental FW updates posted on their FW website says otherwise.

21. BrentJustice

BrentJustice Member

Yes, with the latest update, plus Froyo coming out, this phone is gonna be just fine. Maybe it was a tad premature when it launched, but things are shaping up on it now. I'd recommend it.

22. lordhamster

lordhamster Well-Known Member

I'd recommend it to an advanced user... the tinkerer. To the average user I wouldn't.

Someone who is willing to fiddle with every last setting of the phone, download hacks, try changing GPS settings etc will love this phone. Someone who just wants a basic phone with Web, Phone, GPS, Text and a few apps would likely be happier with a less buggy version.

23. BigCiX

BigCiX Well-Known Member

I let my buddy play around with my phone. He wants to get it just because of swype.

24. myrv

myrv Well-Known Member

Depends on when and if they get the bugs worked out and how they handle Froyo, etc. I hope that Samsung uses this as a lesson and learns from their mistakes. I really like the company for other things, such as monitors, but am not liking how they are handling the cellphone issue.

25. Digital Legend

Digital Legend Well-Known Member

Yes I would recommend the Captivate to other AT&T customers, Especially if they are considering an I-Phone. At least until A decent sized HTC comes along......