Would you recommend rooting?

Last Updated:

1. Peji

Peji Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I currently have an official orange HTC Hero running on official 2.1. No problems, I actually like it a lot but browsing this sections of the forums, I've seen that people have taken advantage of rooting so....are there any roms that you would pick over the official 2.1 that don't:

Eat battery life
    Cause glitches(that are very noticeable)

and can:

be updated to directly from official 2.1

If you have any guides or info or links that are in english, I'd appreciate it if you could show them to me. But the most important thing is whether it's worth it.

Thanks in advance for any advice, thanks.

Advertisement
  2. nedamdam

nedamdam Well-Known Member

Only if you have time to spare.

and what you mean with the update from the 2.1?

3. Peji

I mean I already updated to Orange's Official 2.1 and Im wondering if I can still root since I did.

4. nedamdam

I do believe you can root almost everything. So I wouldnt worry about that. But I am not kidding about the time. Even if you tell yourself that you will just install that rom and do nothing :p . There is no person that wouldnt do nothing more about it :p .And once rooted you will be hooked :D

5. Peji

Hmm, any bug free roms in particular u could suggest that are bettwr than official 2.1? With a guide too plz I'm new to this. One that keeps HTC sense and adds live wallpapers too. Thanks in advance.

6. nedamdam

Uf sense and is good? VR12 VillainROM Forums - VillainROM 12 . But its not froyo. Btw my reason go custom was to loose the Sense. Its loaded with things I dont need.... For everything the Sense has is something much better out there.

BTW AS SAID. YOU NEED MUCH SPARE TIME. ROOTING IS ONLY FOR: KIDS OR OLD PPL!

The rooting. Lets wait for Xyro or Slug as I dont know the orange rom :) . There are even guides here you could try to follow

7. Peji

I'm 14, i can find time lol also , will rooting wipe my apps? And is there a way to hi bqck to normal if I don't like it?

8. nedamdam

Rooting wont wipe your apps. (well the method I know wont wipe anything) And way back. Well. Lets really wait for the expert squad there :p .

nedamdam summons Xyro and Slug!

9. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

You called? :)

The most up-to-date rooting guides are probably these from TheUnLockr. The One-Click method should work on all 2.1 ROMs afaik. Do that, and then flash a modified recovery image to your handset, either Amon_RA or ClockworkMod. This will (a) allow installation of ROMs by flashing via *.zip and (b) let you back up the existing ROM with the included Nandroid script(s). That way you can restore everything bar (obviously) the recovery image should you wish/need to revert.

As far as 2.1 ROMs go, I'd suggest VillainROM 12. MoDaCo 2.1 is also very stable but really needs a third-party kernel to get the most out of it, unfortunately.

p.s. forget about Live Wallpapers - they're just CPU hogs on the Hero.

nedamdam likes this.
  10. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

Sorry nedamdam, I was at work!

Villain 12 does sound like the ideal ROM for you. It's based on the official 2.1, so it's stable, but with all the root benefits :)

Luckily 2.1 is really easy to root compared to 1.5, so by upgrading to 2.1 you actually made your life easier. Specifically you want to follow these two unlockr guides:

How To: Root the HTC Hero (AndRoot Method) | TheUnlockr

How To: Load a Custom ROM on the HTC Hero | TheUnlockr

Yes, it's possible to restore to previous ROMs, including your current official firmware (Not that I imagine you'll want to). And yes, apps will be lost as you're essentially factory resting the device. Luckily, once rooted, you can use Titanium Backup to backup and restore all of your apps. I always use SMS Backup & Restore too. Between those two apps I seem to have everything covered.

nedamdam likes this.
  11. Peji

Hmm...and what exactly are teh differenced between the official eclair update and this villain rom? and what's this Elelinux that everyone seems to be talking about? Is it faster or causes less heat or something? Do I get access to certain apps? I kinda a noob xD I really dont know the differences right now, could you explain it in english xD Thanks

12. nedamdam

I do believe there are soo many pages about rooting and not rooting :) . You just has to google.

But I can write you some here.

Basicly using a custom ROM such si VR12 is optimized for everything :D . Should be faster. Eating less resources and battery. And some bugs that htc didnt fix should be fixed. Also some features that htc may have blocked should be availaible.

Same goes for Elelinux BUT. Elelinux isnt Eclair its Froyo (VR has Froydvillain) or Floyo is the newest rom based on Android 2.2.1 (Eclair 2.1 . Froyo 2.2)

So every new build and new version of Androids regardless the custom or stock. Should bring more functions and fixed bugs from that on better battery life and stability and speed :)

Now to just root and not go custom. (Thats how I was for 2 weeks)
    You will be able to do things you couldnt do before. Take screenshots. if you werent able to purchase apps (you were :) but I am not... my country isnt supported)

You can do many changes to your system. Such as removing apps you dont need or use. Changing theming and even resolution. And you can do a nice backup :D

And yest installing apps that wouldnt work before. Like the screenshot app/market access/adblock/

AND you can overclock ! Making the hero even faster! Or underclock making it slower for a better battery life!!!

A little comparing:
    Sstock Rom mytracks app about 4-6 hours I guess
    Stock Rom with Root underclocked 3 hours >>>used only 20 percent of the battery

If you wanna know the differences between android versions :D I suggest google for changelogs :)

PS: you do realize even though rooting aint illegal you will void the warranty. There are ways back I think but just that you know :D

PS2: Since the newer roms seems to have a strange effect on some heroes. Literally digesting batteries. The VR12 should be your starting ROM since you like sense etc :)

OH AND ALL AT YOUR OWN RISK! I would generally suggest DONT ROOT! :p

13. Peji

Wait, you're suggesting not to root? But what about everything you just said! And what do you mean you'll be able to purchase apps? I'm at Saudi Arabia so I cant puchase apps anymore, will the rom change that? lol

*conflicted* to root or not to root...

14. nedamdam

SalamAlaikum

And :) . Not sure about Saudi. And its not the custom rom that allows it. Its an app you would have to search.

And I am always pro root. BUT PSSSSSSSSSSSSST. If you destroy your phone its on you :p

15. Peji

I'm not Saudi lol, I just came here on business matters. And why are you conflicting me!?!!?

Fine, I won't root the phone lol. I'll play it safe.

16. nedamdam

Nah root it!
    Dont!

Didnt you say you were 14 ? And business matters?

17. Peji

My dad. Personal matters lol

18. nedamdam

I am conflicting you and you are confusing me... See I need to know everything to be able to advice you properly! D: (joking)

Anyway well the root guides from the forum masters up there, should be safe and would be a shame not to do it now :) .

There are always guides how to get back if something gets bad and you have time you said :D. Really bricking the hero could be done only if you mess up the recovery image with no rom to run or whilst a radio flash. And thats not you are doing yet. Rooting is the easiest one of those :) .

19. daveybaby

daveybaby Well-Known Member

If you follow the guides properly it's next to impossible to brick your phone. ALWAYS make a nandroid backup when flashing a new ROM and you will always be able to revert your phone to how it was before. Even if you dont follow the guides properly it's pretty hard to screw up - I dont think i've seen a single example of someone permanently bricking their phone.

The only potential problem is if your phone hardware goes drastically wrong at some point after youve installed a custom rom (e.g. manufacturing fault or you drop it or something) - in theory your warranty might not be honoured if they discover it's not running stock firmware. But again, i've yet to see or hear of this actually happening to anyone.

20. dale303

dale303 Member

I'd go along with that. They would be my two top choices. VillainROM 12 is definitely faster/smoother than Modaco. However, there are strange things missing/don't work on VillainROM (like G-Sensor calibration).

It may be subjective but I think there's been a lot more Force Close issues on VillainROM too.

21. dale303

dale303 Member

Fair enough but...

I respectfully disagree here. I'd like to be corrected but I have yet to find a single third party contact manager that can deal with groups of people like the HTC Contact Manager does and very few of them are any good at all at consolidating different contact info sources.
    I tried FroydVillain on my Hero and came running back due to the lack of options with regard to contact management.

Even the clock app on Sense is streets ahead of any 3rd party app and being able to view other peoples photos from Facebook/Flicker is great too on the Sense photo album too.

Yes, there are alternatives apps out there, yes some of them are better than Sense (eg Launcher Pro/Swiftkey) but Sense still has more than a few tricks that I haven't found elsewhere.

22. nedamdam

cute you came to OT an old thread :D

To the clock... I dont get ppl with a clock taking half of the screen ... seriously... you dont see the small on on the right edge of the screen?!

All ppl say they need a smart phone. With advanced functions. And use the desktop for big ass useless clocks.....

Cuz its what?! Pretty? .... I can to this just smile

Did you try aContact not sure now for the groups (same author as dialerone) I think that had groups and even more functions as the Sense one...

I kinda think for you will be the facebook android a good thing :p

And yet again there is nothing to correct on my statement :) . Sense can be successfully replaced. Its just you subjectively like it :). No one making you to use a vanilla rom.

Not sure how much you gain from the people app though. or you wanna tell me you check on your friends everyday what they did on flickr, facebook, twitter, via that app? I stopped after a week...

And it never worked properly. Always after some time there were trouble. Either with sync, or with sync, and sometimes with sync.....

23. dale303

dale303 Member

Oh dear. So we're going to start like that are we? How tiresome.

My post was just meant to be a little reminder that Sense does still have it's uses but you've seemed to have misconstrued it as some kind of full frontal attack on you opinion.

It's just an alternative opinion, that's all.

Please read... I was talking about the app, not the widget. Now you've got yourself all in a fluster over something completely different.

It might interest you to know, I'm using Launcher Pro so none of the Sense widgets work on my setup but I do prefer many of the Sense apps to other third party alternatives. It's a pity some of the Launcher Pro widgets aren't as good as the Sense ones but as I don't really use either, that's not really an issue.

I don't have a "big ass useless clock" but at the same time I see nothing wrong with those that do and whilst my setup is very functional, I see no reason why some people should feel any less of themselves for wanting a "pretty" smartphone.

This is more like it. A sensible answer. That's all I wanted. Thanks, I'll check it out.

My post was just an alternative opinion. There was nothing absolute in my statement. I never said you were wrong, I just wanted to put forward my my personal experiences to suggest other scenarios are possible. How you managed to get so wound up about it is a bit surprising.

Nope. I just use groups a hell of a lot. 350 contacts split into 6 or 7 very different contact groups. Yes, I use Facebook quite a lot but for professional reasons as well as social. I don't use the People App for anything other than contact management. There's always more contact info about someone via say Facebook than just a couple of phone numbers so having everything in one place is a big time saver.

Your experiences in that case have been very different than mine.

24. nedamdam

To the mods :p . Sorry for OT :) . But I think this thread is resolved so it shouldnt be bad right?

You do know I has fun in flame wars. And I can see you like to talk and argue. We will have fun here :p . Till someone comes and messes this up :p . Since none of mine or yours comments were useful to this thread

And I thought I write. Look dont take that stuff personally .

I just dont believe into "hardcoded" (meaning without root you cant erase it) stuffs into source and you cant get root cuz it violates the warranty. And I had my fair share with Sense on the Hero. (you could see me in few threads crying about the hero with it)

Oh and I am not so good with words :p . The big ass clock was a full frontal attack cuz you sounded (or tried I cant tell) like you are business man scolding a small kid.

Oh and seriously dont take this soo serious . Its just when someone quotes me and tries to look legit and dunno how you call them (english is leaving me) you know educated person. I tend to yell (its the lack of intelligence on my part :D)

Oh and once again . I am not attacking you. Getting angry. Or anything else :) . I just like to talk as you do

To the sync and people app. Wasnt just mine experience . But ok.

And info gathering from facebook, ah ok, well never thought of that. I never have time for that kind of thing :)

Well professional reasons can you explain ? I might reconsider my usage. And I am not joking. I just dont know everything about everything

25. dale303

dale303 Member

Is two weeks considered old at AndroidForums? If so, I apologise. I participate in several forums and on some of them it takes that long to get a single reply.

Anyway, good to see all's good now. I never meant to suggest that there was anything wrong with your original post, just that I have different motives and needs to you.

You for example, generally speaking seem to like the ability to root your phone to cut out stuff you don't need whilst I like to root my phone to add things like tethering without having to replace all the apps that worked fine (for me) with 3rd party alternatives. Two different but completely acceptable reasons for wanting to root a phone.

Loved your 'business man' comment. It wasn't intentional but I'll remember that for next time I want to heat up a conversation ;)

In fact, I have three 'jobs', one in IT, the other two in music (nightclub promoter and DJ agent), which gives rise to having over 350 contacts, the need to separate them into groups and the reason I use Facebook 'professionally'.

As you can imagine, I'm a very busy boy and want my IT to work. I'm happy to tweak and fiddle because that's my main job but at the same time I'm busy enough to not want things to go wrong all the time. I'm no purist but just want things to work. I don't care if it's free or if I have to pay for it so long as it does the job neatly and efficiently.

I tried the iPhone "that just 'works'" but found out very early on that Apple's version of 'just works' means I have to completely change my working practices to suit their machines. No thanks!

The machine should change to my needs, not the other way around and that's what brought me to Android, my beloved Hero and the wonderful world of rooting & custom ROMs.

So, just to keep this post on topic, the reasons I rooted my phone were...

1. To enable tethering when it wasn't available on v1.5
    2. I got fed up with waiting for my phone provider to update the OS
    3. To enable apps like Astro file manager to work.
    4. To speed up my machine
    5. To try out v2.1 before it came out officially
    6. To try out v2.2 to see what the fuss was about
    7. To be able to go back to v2.1 because I didn't like the lack of some Sense based apps

There you go. :)