• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Would you switch to an iPhone?

I just switched FROM the iPhone, but it was admittedly for contract pricing as my girlfriend gets a super promotion. Anyway, I probably would never have delved into android like I have without being offered far better pricing. At this point, I would never turn back. I guess what I am saying is, I prefer Android 100% over iOS. There isn't anything that I consider my iphone did better than my android does now.

Reactions: mpg187
Upvote 0
I would never go to the iPhone because (and it surprises me no one's mentioned this) I would have to download itunes and do everything thru it.
I like being able to have direct access to my phones folders and even the filesystem if need be. It works like, well, an actual computer. With an Iphone you can't even do so much as delete a song, you can only hook it up to itunes and remove it in a sync-ish fashion. Horrible! Cheapens the meaning of "smartphone".

You don't have to do everything through itunes, that is a myth, to be honest it is pretty easy to use itunes though for 95% of users.

I currently have a bricked SGS not doing me a lot of good so I am seriously thinking that an iPhone would just be easier, the laggyness of the SGS is worth jumping ship for.

I do like the SGS when it is working though.

Pete

Upvote 0
Root, root, oh and did I mention root!
And if you decide to try, here is the link you need...
Captivate - All Things Root - Android Forums

And really this is the whole problem with some of the Android phones, to get equal performance with the iPhone you have to root them, hopefully my bricked SGS will be replaced soon, I will not be using any root tools or lagfix rubbish ever again, just to risky.

I love my SGS but if 2.2 if it ever gets here does not make the phone a whole lot faster it is going to be swapped for an iPhone.

Pete

Upvote 0
You don't have to do everything through itunes, that is a myth, to be honest it is pretty easy to use itunes though for 95% of users.

I currently have a bricked SGS not doing me a lot of good so I am seriously thinking that an iPhone would just be easier, the laggyness of the SGS is worth jumping ship for.

Pete

I hear what your saying and it seems at%t users are getting the short end of the Android stick. I have heard more complaints about the captivate than any other Galaxy S phone, not to mention all the other Android phones. In almost ALL cases the top end android phones don't need anything special(no lag-fix, rooting) to function at a higher level than iphone IMO. I think at&t is sabotaging the captivate or something. Haven't heard any of the same complaints from the epic users, the fascinate users, etc...

Upvote 0
I hear what your saying and it seems at%t users are getting the short end of the Android stick. I have heard more complaints about the captivate than any other Galaxy S phone, not to mention all the other Android phones. In almost ALL cases the top end android phones don't need anything special(no lag-fix, rooting) to function at a higher level than iphone IMO. I think at&t is sabotaging the captivate or something. Haven't heard any of the same complaints from the epic users, the fascinate users, etc...

This thread should indicate ATT users on android. I wouldn't say sabotage, but why would they let their golden and problematic phone be any less than other phones they carry.

ATT reps push the iphone harder than anything else I've ever seen, even when I go into a store for an accy. They must get kick-backs or something.

Upvote 0

Pete

Syncing apps and media does need to be done through iTunes. What do we have left? Contacts and calendars. I suppose you are right, not EVERYTHING is through iTunes, but a whole lot of it is. If you have to deal with the headache of iTunes for so much, may as well do it for everything IMO.

Upvote 0
Syncing apps and media does need to be done through iTunes. What do we have left? Contacts and calendars. I suppose you are right, not EVERYTHING is through iTunes, but a whole lot of it is. If you have to deal with the headache of iTunes for so much, may as well do it for everything IMO.

And the incessant downloads of the constant itunes updates. UGH. I still get the messages on a laptop I have and find itunes VERY annoying.

I'm in another forum where a guy thinks that you can wipe an iphone just by copying files to the iphone and then deleting... kinda defeats the purpose of "wiping it" when a user is worried about any of their content becoming avail to the "next" owner.:D:D

Upvote 0
I would never go to the iPhone because (and it surprises me no one's mentioned this) I would have to download itunes and do everything thru it.
I like being able to have direct access to my phones folders and even the filesystem if need be. It works like, well, an actual computer. With an Iphone you can't even do so much as delete a song, you can only hook it up to itunes and remove it in a sync-ish fashion. Horrible! Cheapens the meaning of "smartphone".

A buddy of mine with an iphone says he can download apps and delete apps through the appstore, itunes CAN be used to sync to the phone but not required.

Upvote 0

Media you can use a third person to drag and drop or delete media without sync. I do this on my touch all the time. Don't see why I have to sync same crap everytime I want to add or delete media. Apple always over complicate crap. Simple add or delete option works so much better and its so easy.

Upvote 0
humm... let me see...

Would I change my HTC EVO for an iPhone?
Would I like to be hurled around by draconian app store policies that are an insult to my intelligence?
Would I give up my mp3 and wma files and submit to said draconian policies that are also in place on iTunes?
Would I sit quietly, blessedly kept in the dark about upgrades dates for vulnerabilities i n my device that I had never being informed of?
Would I switch Sprint's reliable and solid network for the worst rated carrier in the country?
Would I give up my unlimited data plan for a pay-per-data plan for a 4G phone?
Would I give up my Adobe apps?
And my Dolphin?
And My Google apps?
Would I sanction monopolistic practices of a tightly controlled company that wants to tell me what I like it and what I don't like it in my phone?
Would I be willing to use the vogal "i" before every device's name, just because Steve Jobs says it is cool?

Let the fanboys keep their shiny little iPhone. I will be streaming my 4G speeds while they struggle to make a decent phone call...

HTC EVO - My "Take that" to Jobs pompous arse...

Reactions: mpg187
Upvote 0
I wanted an iPhone before I got my Droid 1. Now I dont want an iPhone anymore. From using the Droid, to learning things about the iPhone I'm happy I didnt get one.

I wouldnt say I was "stuck getting a Droid" tho. Android was a good choice for ppl who wanted an iPhone but couldnt or didnt get one.

I was on Win Mo before the Droid 1. Omnia 1. IMO MS waited too long to go to capacitive screens. This is what made me go Android:

free GPS
lots of free or low cost apps
capacitive screen
at the time physical keyboard. (see, this is where ppl that say "stuck getting a Android phone" dont get it; if I wanted a physical keyboard, the iPhone wasnt an option...)

Coming from the Omina 1 I was sure I needed a slide out keyboard with my next smartphone. The screen didnt last too long on my Omnia 1. Either dropping it alot or the screen getting scratched up real bad, I could only use the on screen keyboard in landscape mode.

I've dropped my Droid 1 and X many, many times. No bad scratches and on screen keyboard works fine in portrait mode. That reminds me, some ppl with bad experiences with Android, it may just be that specific phone you have. Or you may just have a lemon. It happens with the iPhone too; lemons.

I hated Samsung with a passion after the Omnia 1. Reading forums the past few months I see the Galaxy S line has issues out the box that can rub ppl the wrong way. Not trying to knock Samsung, just some observations. I do agree after rooting the Galaxy S line is the best phone out, minus GPS issues.

IMO out the box the X is the best phone overall right now. (not counting the recent phones that just came out in the last month or 2, dont know too much about em)

Upvote 0
Nope! I was going to get an iphone but they were back ordered thank God they were. My Brother has one for work so he bought his wife one as well. Needless to say they have had to send them back for repair more than once. He was a huge fan but now he is ready to toss the both of them into the river and start over with something else. I am happy with my Android based phone wouldn't trade it for anything.

Have had to send them where for repair? That's odd. I've had iPhones and they really didn't have issue often, and if they did Apple replaced them right away at the Apple store. That's the one thing I cannot complain about with Apple, stellar support.

Upvote 0
I would not because there are a number of other phones that are better suited for me. I like having a physical keyboard and the iPhone does not have one. I do not do any video calling. I did it once with my N97 just to try it out. I would rather not pay for a secondary camera which I will not use. I like to have the ability to view Flash content. The iPhone 4 does not have this capability.

I also have a perception of Apple and Steve Jobs that if he does not think I should have a feature, I should not have the ability to choose that feature. The classic example is Flash. He claims that it is an unnecessary drain on the battery. However, as a user, I would like the option of choosing on my own whether or not I am willing to live with a shorter battery life in order to view Flash content. Jobs simply decides this for everyone. I understand that Jobs may want to keep the device as simple as possible, but for me, I would like a little more control than what the iPhone allows. In order to get this control, I am force to jump through a lot more hoops than I am willing to do.

After having an Android phone for a month, I love the widgets I have available to me. My understanding is that the iPhone 4 does not have widget capability (or is very limited).

My Android phone (Desire Z) is not perfect, but I really like it and so far, there is nothing the iPhone 4 has that is not available on my Android that would compel me to switch.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones