Would you trust someone on craigslist to root your phone?

Last Updated:

1. novarider

novarider Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

There is a guy here locally that will show me how to root my phone for $25. Would you trust someone on craigslist?

Advertisement
  2. exBBuser

exBBuser Well-Known Member

Craigslist is like eBay. U can find a lot of crap there but good stuff as well. I think that paying someone $25 just to teach u how to root is just dumb,no offense. There's plenty of FREE info on this topic around here that will show you how to do it urself step by step. But anyways is ur $ spend it how u want to. Make sure he knows what he's talking about or those $25 may become a headache.

3. jersey221

jersey221 Well-Known Member

no mainly cause if my phone gets ****ed up i rather it be me that did it than someone else.

4. novarider

I am a visual physical learner. If someone shows me how to do something in person I'm good.

I don't know anyone that knows how to do this so I can't ask a friend or anything like that.

5. uniquenameEVO

uniquenameEVO Well-Known Member

At least ask them NOW they are going to do it and then if you can watch. You have been around enough to know if they are full of it on the method I assume.

6. wake69

wake69 Well-Known Member

First, hopefully it wont be a craigslist evo root murderer, second, there are videos on youtube and all over with step by step instructions. I would try that first and you have no idea who it is. Also i would ask if he is in any android forums, if he is find his username and see if he knows what he is talking about. Anyone could try to root a phone, but what matters is if they really know what they are doing. $25 bucks is a great price, but a 199+25 if he doesnt know what he is doing = a damn expensive paperweight

7. jersey221

jersey221 Well-Known Member

8. novarider

I watched that yesterday. I think I'm going to give it a shot tonight myself

9. uminchu

uminchu Well-Known Member

No, I'd do it myself. Sure, that's easy to say already knowing how, but I did it with my Hero using this forum and XDA. Hit a glitch flashing a recovery, but I got help from some cool folks in the Hero forum, and I learned a ton in the process.

Evo was more complex to root (toast 1/2), but that went smooth as silk. If you're patient and methodical, and don't panic if you hit a glitch, it's not like rocket science or brain surgery. It's just following carefully a procedure.

10. wake69

wake69 Well-Known Member

i agree with uminchu, happy rooting, and we are always here for help

11. jgalan14

jgalan14 Well-Known Member

yeah i was scared coming from 2.2 i didn't root my phone until past week(having more fun now lol) that only other root phone was the moment but was way easier, after rooting this one is i learned a lot and this guys help me too, you shouldn't pay for it. Donate money to your favorite rom maker instead, they really help to make the phone more fun

12. Drew5150

Drew5150 Well-Known Member

well i would definitely try to root myself first...

but the question is about trust on craigslist...

my biggest fear would be him stealing your phone. bring a friend, ask to see his evo and that it is rooted. make sure he has actually rooted a 2.2 phone. if all is good it would probably be ok.

all things considered if he actually knows what he is doing 25 bucks isn't that bad.

before you flame me on the cost of this being ok, people pay far more for far less. its a service so its not that much money for something you can't or don't want to try. it costs more to fill your gas tank. some have spent 30$ on a case for the evo that they decided they don't like and are stuck with it anyways.

i don't think android is big and popular enough yet for some random that doesn't know what he is doing to post this service. unless he wants to steal your phone.

with that said i would still root myself, but to each his own.

13. novarider

Well I rooted myself. It was simple enough but was a little scary at times not knowing if I was doing everything correctly.

14. ramonini

ramonini Well-Known Member

Well thank the people in here lol you just save $25 and meeting with some stranger .

15. eric3316

eric3316 Well-Known Member

Yeah, but what if that stranger on Craigs list was a hot chick! Might have been worth it.......

16. YODANADANE

YODANADANE Member

17. hellcatt

hellcatt Well-Known Member

theres only 3 things you can get on craigslist
    1. laid
    2. arrested
    3. robbed

18. surfologist87

surfologist87 Well-Known Member

LOL.

Ive actually done a lot of buying and selling on craigslist... Made a lot and saved a lot of money.

You just gotta be super careful.

19. imageher

imageher Active Member

Rooting is so easy, just follow the video and you'll be fine. Don't waste your money to have someone else do it for you...

20. jdkoreclipse

jdkoreclipse Well-Known Member

**** no, I wouldn't pay for root...donate to the guys who made the root programs , yes, but not some local guy that is rooting phones....it's not that hard with unrevoked3.2