• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Would you upgrade from an S3 or S4 for this?

Phases

NO LONGER ADMIN
Sep 9, 2008
Nashville, TN
I have friends with both. They are also both very comfortable with their current phones, like them enough, but are curious if all the new features are "worth it" or gimmicks.

What are your thoughts? I think the dust and water resistant factors are probably good, but I have never had those problems myself. I think the HDR real-time is SWEET, 4K is a bit a head of its time, and the fingerprint sensor makes me nervous. Heh.

I do prefer larger screens so that is a little too small for me, but I know it's a great screen!

If battery life is anything like the Note 2/3 - I know anyone who upgrades will be happy. My life changed drastically when I went from charging here and there a couple times a day, to charging every other night!

Dust and water resistance? Mine are called zip-lock bags.

HDR real-time is gilding the lily, and 4K, unless you have something you really want to see the details of, and have something to display it on, is a waste right now.

The fingerprint sensor is a good idea - I wish it could be added in an update. The more barriers you put in a thief's way, the more likely he is to give up.

I guess we'll see all this in the N4, but by the time I need a new phone, not just want one for the cute features, we'll probably be seeing the N6 (or my headstone).

Would I give up one of my N3s for an S5? No.

Upvote 0
I went from the Note2, to the S4 back on Labor Day weekend, because I drowned my Note2. I had an upgrade, so I grabbed the S4 and never switched back. Now I cant wait for the S5. I plan to
order/pre-order as soon as possible.
I am excited about the dust and water proof aspect of it.... I'd buy it just for that reason.

Upvote 0
Faster focus is nice. The fingerprint worries me because, well what if it decides to not like your fingerprint anymore? We have a safe that decided it doesn't like my wife's, barely works for her.

I don't know if it's worth the upgrade for S4 folks, but S3 I would suggest. If they don't mind going a little larger. :)

Upvote 0
I have an S3 right now. I am planning on upgrading to the Note 4. If I was not planning on getting the Note 4, I might upgrade to the S5. But if I had an S4, I would not upgrade. I think the jump between the S3 to S5 makes it worth it. But not from the S4 to the S5. But I must say I am very disappointed in the S5 only having 2GB of RAM. This is one reason I am going with the next Note. My S3 uses about 90% of its 2GB's RAM. I need more.

Upvote 0
I have an S3 right now. I am planning on upgrading to the Note 4. If I was not planning on getting the Note 4, I might upgrade to the S5. But if I had an S4, I would not upgrade. I think the jump between the S3 to S5 makes it worth it. But not from the S4 to the S5. But I must say I am very disappointed in the S5 only having 2GB of RAM. This is one reason I am going with the next Note. My S3 uses about 90% of its 2GB's RAM. I need more.

I think you're right about upgrading from the S3 to the S5 but not from the S4. For the simple reason that the S3 only has 1 GB of RAM and the resulting lagginess is its one big failing. It certainly is a problem on my S3 and I am now seriously looking at the S5, now that it appears that the S3 outside of the USA won't get KitKat. (I don't know what S3 you own that has 2 GB of RAM? Are you sure about that?)

We do also need to remember that both S3 and S4 were made with ICS and Jelly Bean in mind. The S5 has KitKat on board which is supposed to be less memory hungry, so it may not even need more than 2 GB. Time will tell when the phone is out there and being put through its paces.

Upvote 0
I think you're right about upgrading from the S3 to the S5 but not from the S4. For the simple reason that the S3 only has 1 GB of RAM and the resulting lagginess is its one big failing. It certainly is a problem on my S3 and I am now seriously looking at the S5, now that it appears that the S3 outside of the USA won't get KitKat. (I don't know what S3 you own that has 2 GB of RAM? Are you sure about that?)

We do also need to remember that both S3 and S4 were made with ICS and Jelly Bean in mind. The S5 has KitKat on board which is supposed to be less memory hungry, so it may not even need more than 2 GB. Time will tell when the phone is out there and being put through its paces.

Sorry, I've just realised that some S3s in the USA had 2 GB of RAM. If you're using 90% of your RAM, that is certainly worrying. My 1GB S3 uses about the same amount of its RAM.

Upvote 0
Sorry, I've just realised that some S3s in the USA had 2 GB of RAM. If you're using 90% of your RAM, that is certainly worrying. My 1GB S3 uses about the same amount of its RAM.

Here in the USA we got the 2GBs of RAM. This is why we are able to get Kit Kat. This brings up another question, will 2GBs RAM be enough for the next two years of updates? Its not Google's fault that the S3, outside the USA, is not getting Kit Kat, it is Samsung's TouchWiz that is the problem. Will the S5 be future proof?

Upvote 0
S3 owner here and I'm gonna wait to see what HTC drop. The only thing that interests me is the camera upgrade BUT I will be ripping the software out and putting something AOSP based on so chances are the Super auto focus might not work and the after focus thing, again, won't work.

Also the size of the ROM is outrageous. Not particularly keen on the size of the screen either but for a flagship at the current moment it doesn't look like I'll be getting anything smaller unfortunately.

Upvote 0
This may be a bit off topic, but where do you see the expandable memeory/SD micro card going in the future? Will it go away? I like the SD micro card slot for up loading videos from my job sites to YouTube. I can do it from my Galaxy Tab 3, but my wifi at home is slower than my 4G connection. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones