• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Wouldn't this be a great app? Why no devs for it?

NotDeadYet

Jul 17, 2012
How about an app which

1. Syncs to Google Reader (and maybe other subscription apps such as for podcasts, email too),

2. Plays or reads aloud (using your TTS engine) your synced articles continuously in any order, starting with your titles and headers

3. Responds to voice commands so that you have the option of having it stop and read the full article before it moves on

Wouldn't this be a cool and safe way to catch up with just about anything or everything while on the road? Believe me, it's not because there aren't good-quality TTS engines such as SVOX and IVONA to replace the stock TTS, which I know is so bad that it would ruin any such features.

When it comes to apps which apply TTS to Google Reader lists (or any such lists) for CONTINUOUS reading, it seems there are no options other than Neospeak. It's not very popular, and that's probably because 1. it plays titles and summary only, and 2. (I suppose) most users don't know how to configure Google reader for this. What a shame that there aren't any devs working to improve such a great idea (imho).

Can anyone else see such an app being made a hit, or understand why so little effort has been made to improve it?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones