• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Wow, my A1 is kinda awful.

Jaysus

Jan 20, 2011
H'burg PA
This is a cut and paste... I am sure that I received a lemon, and they are not all like this, but still.

Pretty sure I am going to have to return it. Which is a bummer as it was a gift for my daughter... primarialy so she could use it to video chat with her best friend who is about move to Hawaii
sad.gif

• The touch screen response is poor, and at times completely non-responsive
  • The OS seems to randomly freeze as well.
  • The cameras do not work for Skype.
  • Google talk chat is messed up - the video is sideways
  • I can not move apps to the SD card.
  • The Launcher does not support portrait mode - when I switched to one that did, the lag was awful - not really a big deal, but still.
  • And I am losing WiFi often - I am not ready to blame that on the device at this point though.

But what is really killing me is the touchscreen problems - the power button works, I can get to the unlock screen, then nothing. It has happened at least a dozen times in the few hours that I have owned it.

There is no way to pull the battery or anything either, so there is a lot of hope and prayer when touch screen gives up.

At this point I just want to see if there is a way to make Skype work so I can consider an exchange, and just write mine off as a defective unit... but I am not so sure at this point.
sad.gif

I am having the same issues as Jaysus with the touch screen response. I really only bought the tablet for reading books and Internet searches, but that is hard to do when the touch screen is unresponsive. The OS has locked up a couple of times too. I did receive an Android Market message about an update for it, but I think it is bogus or Malware. The message is not written in proper English, which is why I suspect foul play. Anyone else getting this?

Upvote 0
I am having the same issues as Jaysus with the touch screen response. I really only bought the tablet for reading books and Internet searches, but that is hard to do when the touch screen is unresponsive. The OS has locked up a couple of times too. I did receive an Android Market message about an update for it, but I think it is bogus or Malware. The message is not written in proper English, which is why I suspect foul play. Anyone else getting this?

I did get a message for an update but haven't applied it yet. Lenovo is a Chinese company though, so that could explain the bad translation.

As for responsiveness, are you just talking about the home pages?
I installed Launcher Pro and it's a lot smoother now. I'm also considering rooting to mess with some settings like CPU.

Upvote 0
I booted into the recovery screen (Power button, Volume up) and used the touch screen reset. Keyboard and such work much better now. Most of my problems went away after I installed the update(s). The only thing I notice is that if the tablet has not been used for awhile (say overnight), it is very slow for 5 or 10 minutes once you start using it again. I'm actually starting to like the darn thing !! Now if I could only root it. I tried to SuperOneClick with no success.

Upvote 0
I had similar wonky screen issues. Almost like there was some invisible finger on the screen when I was scrolling causing the thing to zoom. I returned it and expect the replacement in the next couple days. These are some good suggestions... I have this thread bookmarked and will add anything I discover of value.

Upvote 0
sorry to hear about your problems, I am having no issues with my A1, works beautifully, touchscreen is responsive and normal. I am using Launcher Pro.

Only problem is I am unable to find any good instructions on rooting this thing.

Skype video chat does not work but I tested out both cameras to see if they are working and they are...got the "pocket mirror" app to test out the front cam and it works fine so this is a problem with Skype not the tab itself.

Upvote 0
I think the most difficult thing with researching tablet reviews is what the people use them for. Every single tablet I've looked into, no matter how expensive or inexpensive, has gotten reviews from both ends of the pole.
I'm a technovice so it'll be difficult for me if I run into any problems using a device. And that's always scary because we just need things to work the way we expect.

The A1 is one of the budget tabs I've been considering. The feedback leaves me weary, however.

Upvote 0
I don't have any problems with the touchscreen, but it can't seem to hold onto the signal from the WiFi even when I sit with it 1-" from the router. Anyone else have this problem?

Also, the calendar function synced up with my Google calendar once and the two have not spoken since. The main reason I wanted a tablet was to keep my calendar up to date and with me (in a size I could read!). If it can't stay connected to WiFi it may have to go back.

Upvote 0
For the original poster...

Google this: (I can't post a link it won't let me!)... 'Lenovo IdeaPad A1 7" Tablet Review and Root!' & go to the forum . xda developers link...

The original post sorts pretty much all of your problems... (the wifi may be not if it is the tablet), the touchscreen issue could be lag, or defective Operating system... if it is look in the latter parts of that thread there are instructions/downloads to reinstall the operating system.

If you follow the instructions to Root the device (try to read the whole thread... was very helpful to me.... it may seem daunting on first look but it has proved really easy! You may need a separate guide regarding some bits, but it is very easy (just google it or search that forum)... i did it within an hour of unpacking my device with just reading and no android experience) then you can tweak the speed/launch screen and lots of apps including skype/video/launch screen usage. Actual root was over in about 3 mins. It goes without saying its at your own risk, but apparently seems a very safe one. If you are going to return it don't do it though!

I followed most of the instructions in that first post on the link, and have ended up with a fantastic little tablet.

You will get skype working, however on the current release the video appears upside down. In the thread in the latter pages there is a download of a workaround... I have not tried it yet.

Upvote 0
Hi,
I have just ordered a lenovo ideapad A1, hope this will be okay. I have got one of the chinese tablets with android 2.2 installed, but to be honest it is terrible. The screen has never been very responsive, this is basically why I have ordered the lenovo tablet.
Martin

Upvote 0
Wow, after reviewing all these posts, I am a bit skeptical about my Lenovo IdeaPad A1. I have ordered one and it is currently on transit. I am hoping these issues had been resolved & and I would not have to worry about such troubles!

generally, forums like this are filled with people who need help, have issues. it's reasonable to assume that the majority of users (of android tablets, laptops, phones, etc etc) DON'T hang out at these forums.

i'm pretty happy with the A1; sure, i have a wish list, but this is a great android pad (especially for the size, and price).

get it, explore it, enjoy it!

Upvote 0
@fisherking3k

Thanks for the insight fisher! I've got one now and thus far things aren't as bad as i thought. I guess it's good to experience things first hand.

Thanks a bunch! Now i'm just worried about the screen getting scratched...

i keep mine in a soft case (in my backpack), maybe $12 on amazon.
otherwise, it's fine (as i use my fingers on it, and avoid scrolling with, say, a knife, or rock...). :D

no scratches.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones