• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Wow... Rogers at its finest.......

So some background.... I'm researching and looking for a phone to replace my POS iPhone 3G. Not happy with what Rogers has to offer, I emailed them asking what if any new phones were coming and why Rogers didn't update as often as other carriers etc... This is the response I got. (Copied and pasted)...

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your email.

Unfortunately at this time, we do not have any specific dates as to when
Rogers will be adding a new hardware to his existing one besides the
Iphone4. We suggest you continue to visit the www.rogers.com website as
we update periodically.

We apologize for the inconvenience that we may have caused. Thank you
for choosing Rogers.

For future email correspondence with respect to this e-mail, please
quote reference number XXXXXXXX

Regards,
Ginette B.
Rogers Online Customer Service
http://www.rogers.com

Wow, right? What terrible english is that?!?! And dear Sir/Madame? Can't you determine that from my first name, Michael?

Jeeebus!!!

So I emailed this "Ginette" person back (probably just a computer anyways....) and called them out on the poor english... and in a nutshell just told them how upset I was at this response and asked them why I should remain with Rogers after this kind of impersonal service.

Who knows what will happen. I've even tweeted this. I'm hoping someone takes notice. Or maybe I'm just trying to blow this out of proportion???

Umm...

Reading that sounds like the person answering you is a native French speaker, so you probably just got a rep out of Quebec... Plus with a name like Ginette that's highly likely.

Oh and in French the name Michael can be male or female, although it is usually spelled Michelle for a woman. With a sexually ambigous name like Sandy though I'm really used to ppl messing things up! ;-)

So yeah, thinking ya may be over-reacting a little bit...

Oh and don't worry about the Madam thing, that's customary in French. She didn't mean you ran a house of ill repute! ;-)

Upvote 0
+1, most likely from Quebec.

We don't know exactly how you asked the question so I'm not seeing the problem. Big companies don't normally answer random questions in a highly personal manner. If you only mentioned your iPhone then they wouldn't give you a full list of choices such as Android and won't be giving you info about upcoming plans that aren't already on their site or PR.

Upvote 0
Sorry, but the answer does make sense. You requested commercial secrets. They could not tell you.

Personally, I am more ticked off by the over-politeness of the answer. In understand the need for it; some people get offended easily. However, this is way too "sweet" for me.

Before you say anything, yes I am French Canadian from Quebec too, so my English may not be perfect. ;-)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones