WP7 Gaming and Android

Last Updated:

1. slighmd

slighmd Well-Known Member

Just saw the WP7 launch event via live blogging from WPcentral, and they said that 3D games like ilo and milo (which is like super mario 64/galaxy) runs very smoothly. If these WP7 phones have the 1GHz Qualcomm QSD8250 Snapdragon processors, then the Nexus One, HTC Desire, etc which have the same processor can run games of this quality at at the same speed right?

2. reddragon72

reddragon72 Well-Known Member

First and formost. WP7 = Iphone when it comes to apps and games. MS is taking the Iphone approach in hopes of saving there arse's, but it wont work. Android is stealing the light because it is way more open and personal then the other platforms.

As far as gaming goes and your Q. Yes. Android with the newer chipsets already run 3D games smoothly. There are a number of 3D games out now(Gameloft being a big player) that run smoother then games on my 360, and that is with my old Nexus One(same phone you have now) and my new Vibrant is even smoother! So if a company developed a 3D game like Galaxy for the Android platform you can bet that it'll play as smooth or smoother then on the Iphone and WP7.
  3. slighmd

Thanks for that. Still, android seriously needs the support since its really behind in gaming, and it needs it NOW, not in the future as what Mr. Rubin said. With a plethora of of high quality games on the iOS and WP7's launch titles and Xbox integration, Android needs to catch up ASAP before it's too late.

Windows Phone 7 video, ilomilo, Pocket Gamer
    Here's a link to the Ilo Milo gameplay video. I dunno if this is from a WP7 though.

And here is a screenie from engadget taken from a WP7 phone.

Here's the link to the gameplay videos done on stage
  4. reddragon72

5. slighmd

Cool! But 7x30, is that a next gen processor? I was hoping present gen, qsd 8250 or something. Guess it really needs support from gaming devs. Also, if i heard it right, he said that it was developed for android. Hope it'll come out.
  6. reddragon72

That was from the Mobile World Congress back in Feb so the new chips in the G2 are based on that chip he was showing. Also the Samsung Galaxy S chips are just as good as that.

BTW I have tagged the developers of the game for some answers so I'll see what they say. But from the looks of it MS went in and threw some cash at them to make it a launch title for WP7 which MS did a lot of with a bunch of developers. So the WP7 games will be strongest at launch with little to nothing in the next few years.

I would also like to point out that all the WP7 phones use the older Qualcomm chip snapdragon so it's not even on par with the current gen Android devices.
  7. RedToasty

RedToasty Active Member

Mario 64 style graphics would certainly be possible on Android phones already, the top end ones could run Mario a few times over to the honest. The biggest issue at the moment is the market, if someone released one it'd get bogged down with 1 star reviews from players on older phones, not running, incompatible controls, laggy gameplay etc.

iPhone and WP7 both demand multitouch, good cpu/gpus, enough memory for anything you might need, they're a lot less fragmented.

Currently it's like writing games to work on SNES and Gamecube simultaneously. Using a control system that MIGHT be onscreen pad, maybe a dpad, or possibly even none of the above. It's limiting, I think Google are planning on tidying it up for 3.0 though (which is still a good distance away), then we'll see some real meaty games!

As a new developer to Android myself, after working in the games industry for about 6-7 years now, on console, everything from PS2 to 360 Kinect. I'd LOVE to make a really kick ass 3d game, and absolutely blow everything out of the water quality wise. It'd require hiring 3d artists, animators, a sound chap, basically you'd have to have a LOT of faith it'd succeed and I don't think there are enough Desire and Galaxy S owners to make it worth while.

Even brand new phones, like the X10 don't support multitouch for example, they're not learning very quickly! :)
  8. rushmore

rushmore Well-Known Member

The current Snap, 3630 and Hummingbird chipsets all destroy the Nintendo 64's 15 year old hardware. Considering how a lot of Playstation games play smooth with sound on them (with an emulation layer), there should be no debate that games like this that are using the actual hardware directly (not emulated) should be very good and better graphics than the N64. Just need a gamepad ;)
  9. hydralisk

hydralisk Well-Known Member

The snapdragon is really lacking in 3D performance. If you play a 3D game on a snapdragon phone next to a galaxy s phone, you can see the performance difference. The snapdragon almost looks choppy. Of course if you've never used a galaxy s or another current generation phone (Droid X, G2), you might not notice. But there is no way it will be able to play 3D games that will come out in the future. The GPU is just too slow.

Microsoft cares about gaming and really wants good games on their phones. I'm sure they have a lot of developers in their pocket producing high quality games for the platform. Google doesn't seem to care all that much and is doing very little to encourage developers to create games for Android.

Android is my favorite mobile OS so far. I love the games on iOS, but that screen is just too small for me. Good games can easily convince me to switch to Windows Phone 7 so long as I can customize that ugly ass UI. Looks like screen size won't be an issue for them.
  10. scarlet_pimp

scarlet_pimp Active Member

If developers know the hardware they are working on I'm pretty sure they can get more out of the snapdragon than what's being achieved at the moment. That's the advantage iPhone and win phone developers have over Android at the moment.
    Androids curse in gaming terms is the variety of handsets and customized UIs. Which is also its biggest strengths.
  11. maverick777

maverick777 Well-Known Member

I'm a huge fan of competition. Is it possible for Android phones to get the quality of graphics we've seen on WP7 and iPhone. Yes, it's possible. But not on all handsets. And therein lies the current problem with Android. Hardware fragmentation. But I think this will not be a problem for much longer. Especially with the minimum hardware requirement for Android 3.0 and the growing support from developers.

However, I think Android is at a crossroads. There's no denying the tremendous growth that the platform has seen. The question is if the entire Android ecosystem can evolve and continue the growth.

New Android handsets are capable of quality graphics. Developers need to make the call and drop support for phones that simply can't handle the new graphics. Like Rovio is doing for Angry Birds.

Look at Spectral Souls. It looks great! Pocket Legends is pretty nice looking too. Need for Speed Shift looks every bit as good if not better than what I saw from Need for Speed Underground on WP7.

The Android Market needs to improve so that quality apps are easier to find and search. Hopefully Openfeint takes off. Android needs a centralized hub for gaming.

WP7 has a HUGE advantage with Xbox Live.

2011 is shaping up to be an exciting time for mobile gaming.
  12. slighmd

Am tempted to switch, or maybe give WP7 a try. I still love Android and my N1, and i hope when Gingerbread comes out, it'll bring something to make Android gaming on par with these. Also, using last gen processors like the Snapdragon in the Nexus One (QSD8250) on these games, why do they look and run so good? and why aren't there anymore games of this quality for us, knowing that they used last gen hardware and still have these beautiful results? while we have the next gen stuff but still..
  13. hahaha what

hahaha what Well-Known Member

ya thats what im sayin need some games up in this
  14. hydralisk

hydralisk Well-Known Member

There are clearly some performance hiccups with Android. The fact that Froyo increases performance so much just shows you how much the software comes into play. It's possible that Windows Phone 7 is optimized a lot better for games. Considering the Xbox Live integration, that wouldn't be unreasonable. They're also partnering directly with companies like EA to make sure they launch with a lot of good games. Google doesn't seem to care about games :(
  15. reddragon72

No-one here can seriously tell me that they will get another phone just for one game? That is the most ******ed thing ever! Besides the game is also on XBox Live so you can get it for the xbox and play it on the big screen.

I did tap the developers of the game and they basically said that MS is paying the bills so no Android right now, but it is in the future.

What I want to know is how Qualcomm let this slip! They had a build of the game showing off there new Android platform and could have easliy just payed the ILOMILO guys some cold hard cash to continue development. See this is the problem right now with Android is no one company really wants to foot the bill for the rights to a really kick arse game. So we set here waiting for developers to port and release on there own.

I do have a feeling the Google may have something with the VP's recent "gaming" sentance. So lets see what Google has up there sleeve.

But for right now Android has quite a few really good games and there are more coming, so lets just set back and take in the view as Android gets better at everything!!
  16. slighmd

yeah i really hope gaming will improve. on getting another phone just to play a game, i'd do that if it was Diablo 2 or 3, or Torchlight with online multiplayer. Yep, wishful thinking lol :D

On another thing, saw this from Android police, and i hope it's true! it'll give a clue if Gingerbread made any improvements on gaming based on API's:
    Rumor: Android Gingerbread SDK To Drop Next Week | Android News, Reviews, Applications, Games, Phones, Devices, Tips, Mods, Videos, Podcasts - Android Police
  17. RedToasty

RedToasty Active Member

It doesn't, it's all a bit of a marketing thing. It speeds up very CPU intensive bits of applications, in very specific circumstances. Things like games are generally bound by how much they can draw a frame, which won't be changing at all. The benchmarks will lap it up though, it's pretty much the specific circumstance I mentioned :)

It's much easier to write code directly in C++ which is a bonus, they've half offered that on Android but it's so badly implemented and lacking documentation. Your best bet is a Google search, which is never massively reliable.

The biggest bonus for gaming on WP7 in my opinion is the fragmentation issue again. They're ensuring ALL phones have a 1ghz cpu, multi touch etc. Games will all build to this specification, much more like iPhone games.

I own a Galaxy S and a G1 for development, the top and the bottom. If I develop purely with the Galaxy S in mind I'll be plagued with bad reviews from people with lower end phones, never mind the fact I'd sell next to no copies.

Purely using the SpriteMethodTest (a rendering test written by a Google chap), my Galaxy S is about 4 times faster at drawing things than my G1, and 8 times faster and calculating things. The difference is absolutely huge, and there are slower rendering phones than a G1, anything with the same CPU but a bigger screen for example. So pretty much every successful game on the market leaves top end phones idle about 85% of the time.

The companies making 3d games don't sell on the market, partly for this reason I'd assume, Gameloft for example have plenty of 3d titles.
  18. reddragon72

Yes but that leads to stifled phones in less time and no way for the platform to grow. What I mean is once the phone's abilities are tapped out in a year games will be bland and boring compared to the competition. I for one like to have a newer better faster phone in 6 months then to hang on to a phone for 2years and be wishing for the fancier games and apps on other platforms.

This fix is coming to the market. It will show the persons platform in generations. G1/G2/G3 and so on so that the G1 shows up as a G1 and those complaining will only effect that level. In other words market separation, where your gen platform can only see ratings from your gen not older or newer stuff. I have heard this should be coming soon and this is why Google has done nothing at all with the market because they were looking for the best none stifling way to beef it up and level it out.

And that will end soon with post Gingerbread, no more outside APK's though this is a long ways out and is likely to change.

All in all Android and the market it created will soon be simi fixed so that things wont be so confounded. At least this is to my understanding and I could be totally off and clueless as to the info given.
  19. RedToasty

RedToasty Active Member

All sounds good :) The generation filtering would fix things, the market needs a lot of work.

It's worked for Apple.

I'm not talking complete freedom, but Android phones can vary so much currently. You have to cover all bases, phones like the X10 for example, new phone, very powerful, no multi touch support, no dpad/trackball, not many useful buttons. Very minor cosmetic tweaks to a phone can end up crippling hundreds of applications. A lot of iPhone games for example will never be viable on Android while this is happening.
  20. merx

merx Well-Known Member

Maybe a dumb question but could google and sony team up to bring ps3 store games to android? They are building a nice relationship already with google tv...
  21. MJM128

MJM128 Well-Known Member

All i do is play games to pass time on my phone...I don't need a full fledged gaming device. Games like angry birds, words with friends, gameboid, and other short time wasters while waiting for things in my day is all I need.

Sure I'll take as many games as possible, it helps the platform. But personally I only need a few. Also is there any price point on these games?
  22. DroidGames

DroidGames Active Member

Developing games like that takes big budget, and microsoft has generated a lot of partners over decades who will commit to developing applications for them. Especially since many are already develop games for their xbox system and microsoft even have stakes in some developers, and such devs will make games for their platform, and some even will be available from the start. You won't see many independent developers making apps for wp7 at the beginning.

Then, how market responds (how many wp7 devices will be sold, and how many of them will be using their marketplace of however they call place where they sell apps) will be major point for other developers to commit to developing games for the platform.