WPA2 Enterprise Support/Android 2.1Support

Last Updated:

1. sampike

sampike New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi. Does anyone know if Android 2.1 (on an HTC Desire) is capable of WPA2 Enterprise? I called HTC and they told me there was no support - that it wasn't a limitation of the phone, but that Google doesn't offer support for it yet - which seems to me rather ridiculous (My school will only let me use their network on a WPA2 Enterprise network). Does anyone know of any work around? Also, when is Google set to release a firmware update providing native support for WPA Enterprise?

Thank you.

-Sam

Advertisement
  2. sampike

First off, this has been a very aggravating process and a huge surprise that other people on the web haven't found solutions to this problem. Here's what I did to solve my problem:

In the wireless settings menu (under Wi-Fi networks), the phone would ask me for a "credential storage password" whenever I tried entering into my school's WPA2-Enterprise wifi, not knowing what it was I would press "cancel" and get nowhere. After reading on a forum that any 8 character password would reset the password, I tried it. After 3 times, it asked me to reset the password, so I did. After doing this, a never-before-seen field asking credentials of username and password for "(School)-WPA". I entered my credentials and it worked (Username and password). I can't believe it was that simple and more to the point, I can't believe HTC had no idea how to help me! How could this be?

So people needing to get onto WPA Enterprise wifi, I got the fix!

kelaanz likes this.
  3. sampike

As an add on to what I previously said, to remove credential storage passwords, simply go to Settings>Security>Clear Storage. That should clear the password, and avoid this whole mess in the first place.

4. Tru7h

Tru7h New Member

You sir, are the man, thank you.
    Now we must make this thread easier to find!

5. sampike

Happy I could help! How can we give this forum more exposure?

6. kelaanz

kelaanz New Member

had to sign up JUST to tell you that this is brilliance. couldnt find this solution anywhere.

+1 internets to you sir

this solution works at my university and has made my life a lot easier.

7. bh9329

bh9329 New Member

wow. big thanks. have seen other forums using the rooting method, but this is much simpler and safer.

8. osama_zabin

osama_zabin New Member

I couldn't get the credentials (username & passwrod) for WAP network, it's only showing the wireless password, but not username & pasword.

I tried to clear credential storage, then making a new connection, but it keeps asking me again for new credential storage password.

Any help please?

9. amitpn

amitpn New Member

Hi All,

I have a HTC desire HD, i tried this but it didnt work. amit

10. sathyaevo3d

sathyaevo3d New Member

Man.. I just registered to thank you.... This is a perfect and neat solution.. works like a charm... I have no clue why HTC suggests this even as an option...

Fantastic is all I can say

11. civilclerk1

civilclerk1 New Member

I have tried the above method on my Samsung Infuse to no avail. Can someone please come up with a solution to this problem? I am not going to be forced to buy an IPhone that makes you buy everything. I'm surprised they haven't come up with a way to make you purchase an app and renew it just to make a call!! Android people help!!!!! We need WPA Enterprise now!

:mad:

12. Hadron

Hadron VIP Member VIP Member

WPA does work with Android - I have a couple in my WiFi network list. And with my phone the only credential I can see in the settings for most of them is a password, though others I have specified authentication type (e.g. PEAP).

Maybe ask in the Infuse forum if it is different on your phone. This is a pretty old thread here.