Writing to /system/fonts after root

Last Updated:

1. isoelectric

isoelectric Active Member This Topic's Starter

I managed to get my incredible rooted earlier today using the SD card trick. Now I am trying to install Arabic fonts + reshaper as seen here.

The problem I am having is that I can't figure out a way to replace the font. When I open up a console and try to adb remount it claims I don't have permission. When I manually mount, with this, it claims that there is insufficient space when I try and push the font. Root explorer won't allow me to paste into the system/fonts directory either.

I know that NAND protection still exists on the Incredible, but is there a way to easily get around this right now?

Advertisement
  2. yojoe600

yojoe600 Well-Known Member

try mounting the partitions with the nand partions menu

3. isoelectric

Which menu in what program? I'm not a developer so all specifics you can offer would be useful.

4. Matchbox

Matchbox Active Member

Boot into recovery and there will be an option that says "partitions". Go into that and mount your system and/or sdcard. This is assuming you have flashed clockwork mod using unrevoked's reflash tool.

5. isoelectric

I installed clockwork recovery and mounted all available partitions (/system, /data, etc). Still no dice. Root Explorer still shows /fonts to be unmodifiable, adb remount is impossible, as is adb push.

I'm wondering, are other people able to write to /system this way? What do you guys do when you want to modify the partition?

6. RootDaDuck

RootDaDuck Active Member

I was able to write to the /system partition in when I removed CItyID and VVM. I moved them to /system/app.backup no problem

7. Matchbox

Matchbox Active Member

Try placing the files onto your sdcard, boot into recovery and mount both your sdcard and system. Then go into adb shell, it should automatically have you as su. Now just copy or move the files from your sdcard to whatever system directory they need to go.

~#:cp /sdcard/nameof.file /system/fonts

8. GMK83

GMK83 Well-Known Member

System is ro when booted. You're going to have to do it while in recovery.

9. ezy1022

ezy1022 Active Member

i was able to put hebrew font on both my incredibles with no problem, like said above you just need to have /system mounted in recovery

10. isoelectric

I mounted my system into recovery and managed to push the fonts. However the Nexus One arabic fonts didn't cooperate with the incredible and it just froze on the startup screen.

Pretty infurating that the android is the only smartphone system out there without wide language support :(