Written (no video) root and custom recovery guide (with links)?

1. Tokenpoke

Tokenpoke Well-Known Member

OK, here's the deal... was given an epic and want to do two things, instal a custom recovery and root.
    I don't want to follow a bunch of links and videos to do it either. I know how to use Odin and recovery and am on 2.3.5.

Is there a single place I can go for a written guide or even just a bunch of links and some basic info (which version of Odin etc)?

I'm sorry, I'm just not digging the stickie that jumps me to another forum and a bunch of videos. Not knocking the guy who made them, just not my style.

I have been reading a bunch already but can't seem to find a guide for basic rooting that isn't a video.

Advertisement
  2. Tokenpoke

Really? Not a single reply... Damn.
  3. Zeinzu

Zeinzu Well-Known Member

Don't have a guide handy, but can certainly answer any questions you have, walk you through rooting, and help you find links to any files you'll need. Are you only looking to have a completely stock based rom with root? Or CM9 Android 4.0.4? Just lemme know exactly what you're looking for.
  4. Tokenpoke

Just links to the tars and whatnot, Odin version to use and I will be good. I access via my connect4g so I really don't want to watch a video and hunt the individual links down.

Trying to get cm9 on a friends phone but I only have 30min to an hour at a time to do it (lunch @ work) a day.

Oh, I know and understand the danger of Odin and how to not brick with it. I been around a couple of years.
  5. Zeinzu

Zeinzu Well-Known Member

http://epiccm.blogspot.com/p/cm9-install-guide.html?m=1

That's everything you need. When you install CWM just uncheck auto reboot. When the installation is finish boot straight into CWM and flash CM9. If ever returning to stock use odin to flash the FC09.tar with the pit file and re-partition checked.
    Tokenpoke likes this.
  6. Tokenpoke

Thanks.
  7. Zeinzu

Zeinzu Well-Known Member

No problem. Pm me if there's anything else you need and can't find.
  8. Tokenpoke

Holy crap that was a mission, but I got ics cm9 up and running!