Wrong location and no weather update

Last Updated:

1. ethereal

ethereal Active Member This Topic's Starter

Hi, My default home screen clock/weather widget is not updating weather. I have following problems:
    1)If I turn-on GPS, it shows me in Girton rather than Cambridge, but no weather report (just name is displayed). Time is right. Understandable due to satellite alignment but why no weather update?
    2) If I use only wi-fi, location gets corrected (Cambridge) but again weather is not updating. Rest all fine.
    Any one has similar problem and any solution. Is there any problem with phone or setting. I just got my desire yesterday.
    Thnx

Advertisement
  2. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

If your inside the with the GPSon it will probably be inaccurate? GPS needs open sky to work properly, so wifi location finding is typically more accurate indoors.

if you want it the widget to always show cambridge you can remove and read, selecting a static location for the weather?

3. ethereal

ethereal Active Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for reply, but my question is why weather is not updating (in both cases-wi-fi or GPS). Static location is just fine, but thats not what i want. Is it a bug?

4. rincage

rincage Member

re: weather auto-update.

The weather app setting to auto update gets lost (and changes to no-tick) unless the main "Auto-sync" setting under "Accounts & sync" is set to tick. So check there first, then set the weather app to auto-sync and all should then work.

EmelieEnglund likes this.
  5. nickcw

nickcw New Member

I also live in cambridge and have the same problem. The weather does not update. But I belive its a problem with the server that supplies the weather because as soon as i went down the a14 to bury st edmunds the weather started updating fine, went round a few random small villages in suffolk visiting mates and still got weather, came back to cambridge and the weather stoped again.

If you got it working let me know what you did.

6. outleft

outleft New Member

My location is out by about 2 Km is there anyway to adjust this setting

7. Shofar

Shofar Well-Known Member

No weather on the app for some days now.
    It was highly inaccurate anyway.

Anyone know of a good worldwide app?

8. UKSkidMark

UKSkidMark Member

Out of interest what software version are you running. There was a bug with 2.29.405.2 where the weather app stopped responding. If you manually loaded a weather app, the main page one would suddenly wake up and start working.
    This appears to have been fixed in 2.29.405.5.

9. bfksc

bfksc Well-Known Member

The location for weather widget is not updated via GPS, it's done using the cellular network location service. So it's never exact, but close enough that weather in your area should be fairly accurate.

10. Shofar

Shofar Well-Known Member

Running the latest upgrade. It worked fine with the previous one.
    Deleted it from "active" and reinstalled. Working again, it is just very inaccurate.

11. bfksc

bfksc Well-Known Member

That's odd...I've been having intermittent issues with the weather and clock widgets showing actual location, then showing "current location" instead of the town or city I'm in at the time. I updated last night to 405.5 and it seems to have fixed the issue and it updates properly now. Going to/from work it wouldn't update for hours, but now it updates at 1 hour intervals as it should from my settings.
    How inaccurate? A few kilometers or does it show weather for another continent? Before updating, mine would randomly show weather that was more suitable for the southern hemisphere rather than Canada, about 10% of the time. I'll be keeping an eye on it to make sure it continues to update, but so far it's done a better job than 405.2 did.

12. King Buxton

King Buxton New Member

I live in Doha, and my HTC Disire HD thinks I still live in the UK. Is there any way to get the thing to realise that I'm a few thousand miles east of Derbyshire?