Wrong location/location unavailable (not Eris specific)General

Last Updated:

1. gingerbee

gingerbee Member This Topic's Starter

i've had my phone about 3 weeks now. up until last week, the htc weather widget would update to my current location. when i was home, it would show the town i live in. i also had the google internet option to use my location and this would also work perfectly until last sunday.

now, the weather location was stuck on miami no matter where i went (as far north as west palm beach) and the internet shows up 'location unavailable'. i have found out that the gps is picking up where i am in goggle maps but it seems that the cell towers are not as far as weather and internet location are concerned. i have tried all of the obvious settings.

i did a factory reset and now my weather says ft lauderdale which is closer to me but still not my town. it does not update (manually either) as i move. the internet location still says location unavailable although for a fleeting minute after the factory reset, it DID locate me....then it was gone :confused:

so i called verizon, they didn't have a clue. then i took it to the store and it turns out EVERY phone the tech tried in the store had the same problem, including his. he told me it was a google problem and there was nothing he could do about it. i felt if i tried explaining how that would make it a verizon problem as well, it would be a losing battle :(

i had these features when i got the phone and one day they disappear, i'm pissed, and verizon doesn't care! does anyone know how to get in touch with google?

someone else HAS to have this problem! i have seen old posts about this but there hasn't been a solution.....

Advertisement
  2. cableguynoe

cableguynoe Well-Known Member

I've had this problem for small periods... maybe like a day or so where i notice it's not updating.
    Not sure how long you've had this problem, but i would give it a few days to see if it doesn't just fix itself.

I know you said you tried all the obvious settings, but just in case:
    Click on weather, then MENU-SETTINGS- update automatically.
    Also, try deleting the weather widget and adding it again.

3. gingerbee

i do have it set to update automatically, which it does not, but i'm not too concerned about that. i just wish it would locate me. i have tried to remove/reinstall it and that didn't work. even if it did, it seems to be tied to the internet 'location unavailable' problem too. i'm not technologically gifted but it seems as though the cell phone triangulation is not working for data apps. and yes, the setting is checked to use wireless networks.

here's a question.....should google maps be able to locate me if i ONLY use wireless networks? i always use the gps but from what i understand, it should locate me to within several blocks. i tested it by turning off gps and using only wireless networks and google maps says 'your current location is temporarily unavailable'.

so i would guess that my phone is just not communicating with the cell towers? but if this was true then i would not be able to use the phone (which i can) :confused:

this has been going on consistently for a week now

4. cableguynoe

cableguynoe Well-Known Member

This not not true.
    You can be disconnected from any wifi connection or 3G(mobile network), and still be able to make phone calls.

5. gingerbee

so it's fair to say that my phone does not communicate with the cell towers...does anyone else have this problem? does anyone know how to get in touch with google?

6. bridget4874

bridget4874 New Member

Hi GingerBee- I came across your post and was having the EXACT same issue! For the last hour I have tried it all!!
    My location was always my major city -and the google internet kept saying that it was unavailable. I have done every reset known to man and clicked everything!!

This may work- it just worked for me a moment ago---
    go to your
    home screen then
    Menu-settings- wireless and networks-check the WI-FI box. Some how turning on the WI-FI actually Works!!
    I went right back to try it- and POOF- they all changed to the correct location and went back to the way they were!! YAY!
    Hope this helps!!

:)

7. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

8. eddieg

eddieg Well-Known Member

I had the same problem with the weather app aswell. I dont know why this worked but it did. I did the airplane mode trick to fix my 50% without signal issue and guess what it also fixed my location issue in the weather app. Turn off the phone then turn it back on put it in airplane mode let it go to sleep for a minute wake up phone and turn off airplane mode.