1. In regards to recently combined carrier specific root forums, if your device forum was affected, please see this poll/thread!

Wrong number problem. Wont let me text the right number.

1. Khitsulé

Khitsulé Member

Just got a HTC Tattoo right, first android phone and I'm loving it but....
    I had the wrong number for one of my friends that i text (had 8 instead of 0, slip of the finger) and so i understandably couldnt text her. But when I changed the number to what it should be, i can create a new message and send it but once that happens, in the messaging app the thread reverts back to the wrong number. (so instead of listing her name it has the old wrong number in the list of conversations). Messages from her appear in this thread but i cant text from it (since it sends to wrong number) so im constantly deleting the thread and entering the number manually.... Ive deleted the contact and re entered it but it does the same thing everytime. Does it in all my messaging apps too... Any help??

Advertisement
  2. JustDriftin

JustDriftin Well-Known Member

Do you have the contact in your gmail account also? If you do you might have to change it there also.
  3. Khitsulé

Khitsulé Member

i thought that might be it but none of my contacts are in gmail, only the ones from google wave which then appeared on my phone....
  4. JustDriftin

JustDriftin Well-Known Member

You probably need to track down everyplace where you might have contacts listed that will sync with your droid. Google wave, Google mail, facebook, twitter, or just about any place else where you have contacts. Something is changing it back to the wrong number.
  5. mrmikej25

mrmikej25 New Member

I have no solution but just thought i would mention that im also having the same problem. In contacts i entered a friends number wrong and then when i discovered it and changed it, messages from the same friend keeps coming in under the wrong number. I'm not synching contacts from/to anywhere so android is saving these numbers somewhere without us knowing. Frustrating problem as i cant just reply to the texts because it goes to the wrong number.
  6. sloheim

sloheim Well-Known Member

Just a hunch.... but go into your IM and long-click on the thread (IE, click on the "bad" phone number), and select "Delete Thread".

It probably saved the "old" contact info as the owner of that IM thread. Delete it, send a new IM, and it will save everything under the new contact.

I haven't tested this, but I bet it works.
  7. belle12345

belle12345 New Member

hey i have the same problem, ive tried everything and nothing works, if anyone can find the solution please tell me :/ ive deleted the entire thread but it keeps coming back!
  8. fredstock99

fredstock99 New Member

I too had this same problem. Upon first use of my new GalaxyS2 Skyrocket (Android version 2.3.5) , I added an additional Zero to part of a phone number, and it must have stored as a local contact on my phone. Every time I sent that person a text (to the right number) his response would appear to come from the wrong number which i had already deleted out of his contact information, so it would start a new "thread" from this mythical number i created, with no contact name, or anything, just listed as from this erroneous number.

I fixed his information in both phone and google (no other social services with contacts linked to phone), synced multiple times, to no effect. every time he texted me, it appeared from the erroneous number. i even deleted the contact all together, in both places, cleared messaging cache, cleared contacts cache, and still no effect, it appeared to come from the erroneous number.

Is this a big deal? No, but it means every reply i got would be a new thread and every time i sent him a text i would have to re-enter his correct contact info.

I deleted contact from google and phone, turned off phone, took battery out for 2 mins, put it back in and had him send a text unprompted from my phone, still same problem.

Eventually, my fix to the problem was this:
    - Correct contact in Google.
    - Factory Reset Phone, wiping all USB storage (including messages, photos, music, apps, everything i had put on there).
    - Turn off phone, remove battery. Leave battery out for 2 mins.
    - Restart phone without sim card.
    - Turn phone off.
    - Restart with sim card. (no idea if the last three steps does anything, logic says no, but logic also states this problem shouldn't have happened in the first place).
    - sync contacts with google only, not updating anything on phone.

he has texted me twice so far, and it appears to be fixed for now. fingers crossed that it sticks.
  9. theborgv

theborgv New Member

Hi!

I had the same problem. However, I found a temporary solution to this bug.

1. Export Contacts from Phone to SD.
    2. Delete all threads, logs, and histories on your phone.
    3. Go to Settings>Applications>Manage Applications> tap on All tab.
    4. Tap Contact Storage>Clear Cache.
    5. Tap Contacts>Clear Cache.
    6. Restart Phone.
    7. Import Contacts from SD to Phone.
    8. Try not to make the same mistake again.
  10. terraslate

terraslate New Member

i have the same on my new galaxy s2. its a nice phone but hell it has more bugs in it than an ant farm. trying theborgv solution now. how crap is this phone sometimes! its full of school boy errors.