• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Wrong number shows up on text

Tony Caudle

Sep 27, 2016
Yesterday my girlfriends aunt texted me and today my girlfriend asked me why I have 2 numbers. I don't have 2 numbers. Apparently she (aunt) will text me but when I text back it shows up as a different number and not mine. How can this happen? I have no apps to change my number and I have nothing to hide so there is no need fir this but I don't like knowing somehow my number is changing. I have anever s7 and she has an unknown model i phone. And help would be appreciated

First thing to check: when you say "text" you mean SMS, not some other messaging service?

A real test would be to send a single text to both of them (one message, two recipients). Then it's the same at the sending end (you) and any difference must be at the receiving end (the Aunt's phone or her network).

Another test would be to find out what happens if she sends a text to that number? And if you receive that, what happens if your girlfriend sends one to that number?

I don't have an answer, so just thinking how I would investigate the problem.

Upvote 0
Yesterday my girlfriends aunt texted me and today my girlfriend asked me why I have 2 numbers. I don't have 2 numbers. Apparently she (aunt) will text me but when I text back it shows up as a different number and not mine. How can this happen? I have no apps to change my number and I have nothing to hide so there is no need fir this but I don't like knowing somehow my number is changing. I have anever s7 and she has an unknown model i phone. And help would be appreciated
Maybe the aunt has google voice or a similar app. The different number is the result of the "go between"(for the lack of better words) number that is the middle man basically relaying the call or text. Try texting the aunt by physically entering her number, not through contacts or replying to a text and see if that changes anything.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones