WTB EVO w/ Broken Screen, will Sprint fix it?

Last Updated:

1. rachelkitten

rachelkitten Member This Topic's Starter

Okay so mine is a little different story than the rest. My husband lost his EVO...No insurance...So now we're trying to find him a used one and I found one for cheap but the screen is broken but it works. I also found out that if we took it to Sprint then they may repair it for $35?
    So I guess my question is, will Sprint repair the EVO even if I didn't buy it through them.

Advertisement
  2. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

Welcome to the forums, rachelkitten.

I moved this to the Sprint forum for you, where you'll be more likely to get an informed answer.

My thought is, "no." ;) Or, if they do repair it, the cost will be more because it's not purchased from Sprint by you.

Others who know will hopefully chime in.

rachelkitten likes this.
  3. rachelkitten

4. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Well-Known Member

Not sure if they will repair it. But you can repair it yourself for around $55 or so with a replacement screen off of eBay.

5. ashtonn4

ashtonn4 Member

I'm a sprint tech, and I can tell you that we have a policy of the device needing to be on your account/line and working (making calls) for 30 days to prevent people from buying broken phones and getting them fixed/replaced. Otherwise, if you have ESRP on your line, its a free repair, without ESRP it's $35. It is an incredibly easy fix to replace the screen though, you just have to make sure you get the correct version as their are 3 different hardware versions for the EVO which can be found in menu/settings/about or something close to that, just look for hardware version, it'll either show something along the lines of version 01, 02, or 03 (not exactly sure how its worded in there, I'm not at work right now)

rachelkitten likes this.
  6. rachelkitten

Ashtonn, What is ESRP? I'm pretty confident I don't have it. But basically what you're saying is as long as we have the phone for 30 days and we make calls and use the data and such we can repair it for 35?

7. ScorpDX

ScorpDX Well-Known Member

ESRP=Equipment Service and Repair Plan
    Basically the "insurance" you always hear about.

rachelkitten likes this.
  8. Cares

Cares Well-Known Member

So how does Total Equipment Protection (TEP) exactly work? If I add on the $7/month plan, does it cover ANYTHING that happens to my phone? How do they determine if I get a new or refurbished phone as a replacement?

9. rachelkitten

I think it does cover anything but the deductible is hefty and I believe you'll get a refurb. Maybe someone else knows more.

10. ashtonn4

ashtonn4 Member

ESRP is service and repair - we can fix s/w no charge always, but w/o ESRP its a $35 fee for replacements/parts, does not cover liquid/lost/stolen

ERP - equipment replacement - the "insurance" for liquid damage/lost/stolen with a deductible (50 or 100 depending on type of phone)

TEP - total equipment protection - ESRP and TEP combined

11. michaelgrbbs

michaelgrbbs New Member

sprint will only fix the screen if the crack is less than 1 inch long and only 1 crack. anything more than that and it's considered beyond repair, not because they can't fix it but because they won't get reimbursed got the part..pretty crappy policy.

12. BenChase7

BenChase7 VIP Member VIP Member

Where is the "one inch rule?" There have been posts on here of people getting their completely shattered screens fixed for free, and others paying only 35 bucks.

13. TheEngineer

TheEngineer Well-Known Member

The policy was tightened up because so many people were committing fraud like the OP.

BenChase7 likes this.
  14. michaelgrbbs

michaelgrbbs New Member

my wife dropped her 6 week old epic and it cracked in two places. she only dropped it from her pocket and she's kinda short. anyway, sprint wont fix it I went to 4 different stores. needlesd to say thats the story I got from every store. has to be only 1 crack and has to be less than 1 inch long or its considered damaged beyond repair and you have to file a claim. two techs from different stores told me it isnt because they cant fix it but because they wont get reimbursed when they send in the broke screen. sh##ty policy