WTF why does my gps on google nav ALWAYS go out whenever i turn on pandora?

Last Updated:

1. AlwayzRight

AlwayzRight Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

100% bug. Dumb

Advertisement
  2. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

Maybe Maps needs to stay in the foreground and have sufficient bandwidth so it can access the net while Pandora is, and I would hope you're using GPS and not 3G for your location on top of that.

There was a long thread on this a week or two back, so maybe you'll find more info there.

More pebkac than bug. ;)

3. Cobravision

Cobravision Well-Known Member

Lemme guess -- you're using the Evo speaker and not the headphone port?

The speaker at loud volume interferes with the GPS. This is a known issue.

4. AlwayzRight

AlwayzRight Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Yep...like a should be able to! So how do we fix this or did htc make a defective phone?

5. EarlyMon

6. Caloy

Caloy Well-Known Member

Playing music through the phone's speaker sounds crappy, if what Cobravision posted is true, then the best way to fix this is to connect your phone to your radio's auxilliary port with a 3.5mm cable. Or use a FM transmitter. Either solution will give you a better quality sound than playing it through your phone's speaker.

7. Cobravision

Cobravision Well-Known Member

Since it only happens at loud volumes, the working theory is that the speaker magnet is interfering with the gps reception. If that's the case, it's a design flaw in there is no fix. As Caloy suggested, use some other means to output the audio. And it will sound 1000 X better.

8. EarlyMon

Perhaps. Unless I read that wrong, a poster in that other thread correlated it to wifi, not volume; a few said they couldn't reproduce the problem (with the speaker, ignoring the headset crowd here). As this is all anecdotal, who's to say? Not me. But - just putting it out there - no need to have the wifi radio while using nav anyway.

9. meyerweb

meyerweb Well-Known Member

I've not noticed a problem with GPS and wifi. There's definitely an issue with GPS while listening to music on the speaker, and the higher the volume the bigger the problem (based on my own experience). I encounter this problem even with WiFi off.

But I can't imagine why anyone would want to listen to music on the Evo speaker. The sound quality is beyond awful. And in my car, the output levels from the speaker are too low to clearly hear the GPS instructions anyway.

EarlyMon likes this.