• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root www.unrevoked.com Went Live

Just rooted, but now how do I do the ROM part?

I've rooted a Moto Droid before but this seems a bit different.. plus I used DroidMod to do the Droid.

x2 and what ROM do most like? Fresh?

This way of rooting does not allow you to use other roms, you need to do a FULL root (the hard way)

Upvote 0
This way of rooting does not allow you to use other roms, you need to do a FULL root (the hard way)

Not only that you have now installed a hack, this has not really rooted your phone. All you did was install a superuser firewall and gained partial OS level root via a "undisclosed" method.

No one even knows how this team gains root, the apk installs the firewall and calls a remote binary which is what actually executes the hack to gain this user level root. Congrats you have a mini root but you have absolutely no idea what the app did to get there.

I'd reflash the stock rom and get whatever junk this app dumped on your phone out and do the proper Toast root with full nand-unlocking.

Upvote 0
I'd reflash the stock rom and get whatever junk this app dumped on your phone out and do the proper Toast root with full nand-unlocking.

I would not say you have to do all that, for those who dont want to have to deal w/ all the "extra" stuff that you have to do dealing w/ fully rooting your phone, its great. For me, all i want was the tethering and use titanium back-up, for that this works GREAT, now once froyo is fully out and all the kinks are worked out w/ it on the evo I might do the full root, but untill then, I have no need for full root and this works well and I'm sure there are many more like me who dont need or want to do full root right now and just want to use the tethering (for now)

Reactions: IRepTheKing
Upvote 0
Not only that you have now installed a hack, this has not really rooted your phone. All you did was install a superuser firewall and gained partial OS level root via a "undisclosed" method.

No one even knows how this team gains root, the apk installs the firewall and calls a remote binary which is what actually executes the hack to gain this user level root. Congrats you have a mini root but you have absolutely no idea what the app did to get there.

Why are you feeling so negative about this? It does exactly what a lot of us want, without all the overhead of the more complex rooting processes.

If it's not for you that is fine; but that doesn't make it "junk"...

Upvote 0
Just tried it out today so that I could use the wifi hotspot. Works like a champ, completely pain free! I don't feel like doing a complete root anytime soon so this really did the trick. Hoping that Froyo will come out late summer/early fall for the Evo (officially) so I can just stay more on the 'safe' side instead of feeling the urge to root. Thanks guys!

Reactions: djdisturbed
Upvote 0
If you have installed the OTA and no longer have root here is the fix!!
public:evo_ota_2_patch [RootWiki]

No, thats for if you have NOT installed the OTA

This fix currently supports the following Android phones:

• Sprint EVO 4G (HTC Supersonic) that has not already been updated with the 2010-06-29 OTA update.
though they have something that should work there, they still say it could brick your phone

EDIT: BTW they pulled the patch b/c sprint pulled the update

Upvote 0
No, thats for if you have NOT installed the OTA

though they have something that should work there, they still say it could brick your phone

EDIT: BTW they pulled the patch b/c sprint pulled the update

Should I wait to apply the update. The phone sent me a message this morning 7/30/10 to download update. So I don't think they pulled the update.

Upvote 0
fosgate, you can wait. I do not know if unrevoked is working on getting a simple 3 click method going again. I hope so. It sure was easy and it sure did work well. With that said, if you follow that link up there it is for guys like you that may want to do the update and keep wireless tether. Effectively, what the link is doing is telling you to root your phone and then it is giving you a patched version of the update that does not hinder wireless tether....IOW, it is not a stock update....it is a modified version of the update that will aloow you to keep wireless tether.

Reactions: IRepTheKing
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones