Wy is the Mini-USB an odd (assymetrical) shape

1. Terry1100

Terry1100 Well-Known Member

I had always assumed that HTC devices used a standard mini-USB for charging and PC connection.

I was surprised to find when I got my Tattoo that the USB port is an odd "lopsided" shape and thought that would limit me with cables.

However, I was in my car last night and connected it to the standard mini-USB I keep in the car for charging my Visorlite and external GPS unit - and it fitted (and charged)

What's going on - why the odd shape if the standard mini-USB fits anyway - and surely the correct shape socket woudl provide a better connection ?

Advertisement
  2. Mad_Sunday

Mad_Sunday Well-Known Member

I think this is just a way to make us think that the tattoo needs HTC made chargers etc. As you say, "normal" mini usb cables fit the socket. I have a car charger with the "normal" mini usb connector and it works fine.

Pete
  3. Terry1100

Pete,

I asked HTC Supoprt the question and got two replies (generally, I am impressed with HTC support - they are quite quick to repond and they do give sensible rahte rthan "corporate" answers)

Here are the replies.

4. NigelCBS

NigelCBS Member

It's a custom HTC format.

HTC ExtUSB (Extended USB). ExtUSB combines mini-USB (with which it is backwards-compatible) with audio/video input and output in an 11-pin connector.
  5. Terry1100

Nigel,

Thanks - that's the critical phrase "backwards compatible" - it'll do for me for car charging.

Presumably, if I use a standard cable on my computer here at work, it will simply charge without trying to "connect" to the phone.

Right now I'm killing the battery by the end of the day with constant "playing" when I should be working.