X getting official Froyo before Inc?

Last Updated:

1. tbert

tbert Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Advertisement
  2. pirahna

pirahna Well-Known Member

I hope it is true! Not getting my hopes up though.

3. cornflwr33

cornflwr33 Well-Known Member

so now my newbieness comes out... i've seen Froyo around the board... but what is it? I haven't really seen an explanation...

4. Got Droid

Got Droid Active Member

Google loves the Droid X more then Inc. So do I. :D

5. Piiman

Piiman Well-Known Member

Don't know why it wouldn't be. The DX was advertised as getting it shortly after the launch and HTC has said Dec for the dinc. So it makes perfect sense to me. :D

6. Roxors

Roxors Well-Known Member

it is the newest OS to be released... some people are already running this on their rooted phones.

in case you are wondering what is next after that is 3.0 Gingerbread supposedly coming out at the end of the year. (this one will be for higher end phones with larger screens)

btw to me this just looks like someone starting a rumor. I really didn't see anything that could be used as proof but that may just be me not getting my hopes up.

7. tbert

tbert Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So Froyo is the name of Android 2.2. The current OS in the X is 2.1. Froyo brings a huge host of changes. The biggest, in my opinion, is improved performance. Phones with Froyo are supposed to run 2-5x faster because of an improved compiler and other things I don't understand. Froyo also brings Flash support. In layman's term, 2.1->2.2 is like Vista->Win7.

8. cornflwr33

cornflwr33 Well-Known Member

ty... thanks very much :)

9. deathratlehead

deathratlehead Well-Known Member

This doesn't surprise me one bit. This is the reason I didn't want another HTC phone after the Eris. HTC took forever getting the 2.1 update to the Eris because they had such a difficult time getting Sense to play nice. Droid-X FTW!!!

10. droidx_fan

droidx_fan Well-Known Member

More likely reason is the DroidX has so many issues, it's needs help badly.

11. Vihzel

Vihzel Destroying Balls Everyday VIP Member

Until more reputable sites say the same thing, it's hard to believe.

12. deathratlehead

deathratlehead Well-Known Member

So many issues? Such as? I'm not calling you out or anything, I'm just curious because mine has been excellent so far.

ckochinsky125 likes this.
  13. varaonaid

varaonaid Well-Known Member

Except you don't have to pay the upgrade fees to Microsoft. ;)

I think faster. easier OS updates is why Moto went with Blur widgets but not an entire Blur interface. There's very little that needs to be done in order to get the latest OS version onto their phones. Whereas with SenseUI, there's a ton of work to make it compatible with the latest OS which takes a long time and at times, they'll make sacrifices that they don't tell you about until it's too late for you... (completely true example, on the DInc, they couldn't get the 2.1 Eclair bluetooth stack to work with Sense so they downgraded that aspect to the 1.6 OS version BT stack...this means MUCH less BT support because one of the biggest changes in 2.0+ was a hugely improved BT stack. In the real world what does this mean? My external BT keyboard won't work at all on the DInc after literally months of working and trying every method you could imagine...on the DX, had it working in less than 5 min.)

14. Roxors

Roxors Well-Known Member

Agreed ^^^^

15. Gareee

Gareee Well-Known Member

It could also be a marketing thing... the incredibles are still way backordered.. they might actually have LOT of DXs either in stock, or ariving sooner, and they of course want people to buy those, instead of waiting for the inc.

16. ekyle

ekyle Well-Known Member

Doesn't Froyo also have an option to install apps to the SD card if the app permits it?

17. jr0065

jr0065 Well-Known Member

^ I believe I read this somewhere also

18. ekyle

ekyle Well-Known Member

Awesome. I can't find the link anywhere but I thought I saw Froyo on the DX by the end of August this year. I know its rumors, but its a start...

19. evo678

evo678 Well-Known Member

with 8gigs of internal memory, I doubt we will ever need to use this feature. :)

20. Android_LIFE

Android_LIFE Well-Known Member

Yes indeed.

21. Rimzy

Rimzy Well-Known Member

Well, we did see the Ceo of google and Adobe at the announcement of the droid x, we did not see them at the HTC incredible announcement, so that speaks volumes about their relationship, seeing as Motorola did produce, one of the most succesful android phones, Droid 1.

22. potterdood

potterdood Well-Known Member

I disagree, lol. otherwise it wouldn't have such an ugly screen, haha

23. Vihzel

Vihzel Destroying Balls Everyday VIP Member

You mean the screen where it shows the correct colors? or the other one where it says "I make my colors look unnatural to make everyone go WOW!"?

ckochinsky125 likes this.
  24. EKG

EKG Well-Known Member

No doubt it will be out for us before the DInc. As said earlier in this post, HTC takes a very long time to update the OS on their phones because of Sense. I will never forget the huge waiting game they played on us with the Eris before releasing 2.1...changing the release date, etc etc...leaking to us test builds of the OS, and then after we installed them, said there was no way for us to get the OTA update. Awesome job, HTC. (yes, i know that the final leak is the same as the OTA update for the Eris, but it also has a different bootloader, which meant no root for us...)

25. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

If the current version of Blur is like the Motorola guy said and just widgets and apps, it should get it first before any current HTC phone running Sense UI.

I wouldnt be surprised to see the Droid and the X get it at the same time. HTC did have a head start tho...it will be interesting to see who gets it first.