• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

X10 2.1 Update - Discoveries

Where do i look for the 2.1 update. is it over-the-air, or do i visit sony/t-mobile website?

i'm on t-mobile and i guess it will be end of november.

I'm on t-mobile Hungary, i called them, and ask for the update, and he sad it will be come november 29, beacouse it need to be tested...
But... wait... why would be tested?
But i think wait for the offical...

Upvote 0
My initial impressions are pretty poor:(

In call volume seems pretty similar to me - still have to have it on max to hear people

The widget that allows to turn phone onto vibrate mode has been removed (well silent function has been). NOw you have to press power button to lock phone and then activate silent mode by sliding thingy across. Why do SE insist on making things more difficult than they need to be?!

Still a pain to call someone - why doesnt the dialler 'translate' numbers to digits and allo you to filter search for someone's name e.g. like Thaidial (which doesnt seem to work on 2.1)

Why have they added a SE sync button on widget tool bar when you can set it to auto update and sync? This replaced the silent button I mentioned earlier.

My phone is now laggier than it was before and the home screen transitions still dont slide very nicely (small point I know).

DOnt see any new functionality as yet...overall its 1.6 with a new name - nothing to get excited about at all:(

That's why you have Andriod Market..
I installed apps for what I wanted, including a dialer. Dialer One have all what I need.
My phone was terrible after upgrade to 2,1. Had to kill all to get it working normally. Now everything is working beautifully!http://www.androidforums.com/images/icons/icon7.gif

Upvote 0
I'm on t-mobile Hungary, i called them, and ask for the update, and he sad it will be come november 29, beacouse it need to be tested...But... wait... why would be tested?But i think wait for the offical...
The carrier might be adding their own bloatwares or take some features out. With 2.2 a lot of the carriers disabled the wifi hotspot feature. They also might be testing how the updated OS works on their network.

Upvote 0
The widget that allows to turn phone onto vibrate mode has been removed (well silent function has been). NOw you have to press power button to lock phone and then activate silent mode by sliding thingy across. Why do SE insist on making things more difficult than they need to be?!

They've added another widget (status switch IIRC) that has the sound/vibrate/silent button on it as well as showing battery status and all the functions the old widget had. Dont know why they duplicated functions across 2 widgets but heh its SE!

Upvote 0
I wouldn't say immediately.

well I agree with you , everything has improved and 2.1 has bring lots of good things to x10 , i miss a few sweet things from 1.6, maybe i need to enable them as the icon with 4 arrows in the left down corner in browser has gone it was for zooming a part of the page and then go zoom there , i use it to scroll page down or up faste. I really miss that feature from donut i use it in dolphin browser and now in browser and dolphin b. is losed. any advise?

Upvote 0
Haven't seen anyone mention this, but in 2.1, the phone NO LONGER goes to the lockscreen after a call has ended. HOORAY!!

well excuse me but , rikard solverg how is his name the SE guy thats the only coherent thing he said, the phone must lock after a call cause when somebody calls you your phone is .locked, so i miss that cause when was unlocked and received a call my phone doesnt lock..

hey what happen to the notification blue colored led_? is not there anymore ,,,

Upvote 0
well excuse me but , rikard solverg how is his name the SE guy thats the only coherent thing he said, the phone must lock after a call cause when somebody calls you your phone is .locked, so i miss that cause when was unlocked and received a call my phone doesnt lock..

hey what happen to the notification blue colored led_? is not there anymore ,,,

wait what? I didn't really get what you were saying there. But anyways, the LED for a message is still green, but I haven't really noticed the notification LED for a missed call.

Reactions: jackx10
Upvote 0
wait what? I didn't really get what you were saying there. But anyways, the LED for a message is still green, but I haven't really noticed the notification LED for a missed call.

wich color is rthe led when you receive a message?, mine doesnt show nothing , before it was blue,,,, i said in my post that was good auto close or lock phone was better before, than remain unlock AFTER CALL,

but overall 2,1 is better

Upvote 0
The auto-brightness feature has been removed which is odd.

No, the feature hasn't been removed; rather, the option has. You can't choose to turn it off, it is just on all the time (even if you use the brightness slider to turn the brightness down).

sneak pics as what... >"< lols =))
yeah, with the 1.6, i cant do with my either,
but hey, my original model was x10a, and now, i just hack using xda flash thing, it's x10i now, any problems with that>?

The i and a are identifiers SE use to denote whether it's for use in America (a) on their wavebands or Europe (i for international) on theirs. The firmware will work on any device, but you will not be able to change the functionality (as this is down to the physical chips in the handset) so your functionality should not be altered.

Where do i look for the 2.1 update. is it over-the-air, or do i visit sony/t-mobile website?

i'm on t-mobile and i guess it will be end of november.

You have to use a PC (unfortunately, but more about that later)

You can use the PC Companion (download from SE web site) but I couldn't get mine to detect that there was an update available, so I downloaded the Sony Ericsson Update Service (SEUS) and that did the upgrade straight away.

HTH

Ed.

Upvote 0
wich color is rthe led when you receive a message?, mine doesnt show nothing , before it was blue,,,, i said in my post that was good auto close or lock phone was better before, than remain unlock AFTER CALL,

but overall 2,1 is better

My LED is green for both missed call and new message.

Also, didn't SE say that we'll get the full 384MB of RAM in 2.1? Seems like we're still missing 100MB of RAM...:(

Upvote 0
The new text messaging system is beautiful, but something is really bugging me: The Keyboard.

Now when I want to send a message, I actually have to use the "send" button on screen instead of being able to use the enter key on the keyboard. Does this bug anyone else too?

i used the build in messaging app once and switched to Handcent:rolleyes: im still on 1.6 though

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones