X10 256mg of ram Vs Nexus 512mg of ram..General

1. pachi72

pachi72 New Member

I saw that the Nexus has 512 megs of ram which on plenty to run apps. I like the X10 overall better for the 8mpx camera, but it has only 256 for ram. Is this gonna be an issues for the x10? My friend who has a Magic said that there is a way to increase the ram by doing virtua memory on the SD card...You think it will work well on the X10 1gb internal storage? How well does the apps run on SD card?

Advertisement
    :
  2. sooper_droid12

sooper_droid12 Well-Known Member

Honestly, this isn't a big deal in my opinion. The iPhone is running some hardcore 3D apps/games but only has 256mb. Even so, Android apps/games don't even max out 256. The N1 isn't having any problems with ~200mb allocated to the user and the DROID has 230mb allocated to the user. No problems... yet.

There is currently no support for running apps off the SD with unrooted phones. Rubin mentioned that they're working on a native Apps2SD functionality which encrypts apps to the SD, protecting developers from piracy. When that happens, we'll have the full use of our SD cards for app storage. But that's not the same as RAM memory.

On the RAM front, there are ramhacks which free up some RAM, but at the end of the day, touting how much free RAM is just saying to everyone how much RAM you're wasting. RAM should be used, not sitting around. When you've run out of RAM, then it's a cause for concern. But none of the current crop of phones are doing that...
  3. FireRunner

FireRunner Well-Known Member

From recent videos the X10 does not seem slow at all, in fact it has one of the faster UI interfaces I've seen to date.
  4. mlinzz

mlinzz Member

Here's a question. Where did you see the X10 only comes with 256mb of ram? Not a single spec sheet I've found on the internet even lists the ram. The only reference I can find to 256mb of ram is when this phone was originally leaked as the X3 and someone told someone else it was running snapdragon with 256mb. So far there has been mention from many sources that its 384mb some that say 512mb and others that say it might even be 1gb.
  5. Roze

Roze Hiding behind a mystery VIP Member