X10 Due TomorrowGeneral

Last Updated:

1. gunny5821

gunny5821 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hello ALL,

Well I finally pulled the plug! Last week I returned the Samsung Captivate and ordered the Sony Xperia X10. Everything got finalized today and the X10 was shipped out. I will have it tomorrow before 1500 hours. I also order a leather pouch style holder for it, since they were on sale, 50% off. Can't beat the price. I also got the X10 for $49.99 since I ordered it last week. The phone has since been bumped up to $79.99, so I had good timing. Really looking forward to the unboxing and getting the phone personalized. So until tomorrow.................

Advertisement
  2. rosered

rosered VIP Member VIP Member

Well before the doom-mongers start on you decrying you as mad for buying one, welcome to the X10 family! There are still many of us who love our phones (and no I am not denying that it has a few 'quirks'!) but its a good piece of kit and I wish you a long and happy life together!! Looking forward to your reviews as you get to use it.

3. gunny5821

Thanks! Yeah I returned my Captivate after going through 2. I decided there wasn't going to be a third and on AT&T, as you all know, we are very limited as to what High End Smartphones there are to purchase, especially worthy of a 2 year commitment to the phone and the service. I have compared and reviewed and compared and reviewed till i"m brain dead, lol! The fact of the matter, no matter which "NEW" High End Phone you get straight off the starting blocks, there are going to be problems. All one can really do, is get the Best Hardware, and software with the least amount of major issues and than lock on to a solid company. Sony has done well by me in the past. I use to have their desktop's back in the day (They were pure work horses, and never had a problem with any), that's all I would buy. Than I bought many of their laptops and of course I just purchased the PS3. So I am riding on Sony's word and coat tails, and resolved to the fact they will do as they promise (as they have done in the past). The same thing can not be said about Samsung. They pump out more phones than Carter sells liver pills (Joke ;~) ). Seriously, they do make a lot of phones and they have left people out to dry in just this year alone. Sony at least takes the time to make a product. Since I am not a heavy user of everything and anything, I just want a solid phone, with great software and the X10 looks to be the one. The end of this year will tell the story, and hopefully we will all be able to say, Sony stuck by their word and did right by all of the owners of their Xperia X10!

Just my 2 cents.......... I post a review in about 1-2 weeks, but in the mean time, I will be here, contributing what little a noob can, LOL!

4. rosered

rosered VIP Member VIP Member

Hey Gunny, if you are on AT&T I discovered this programme today when dealing with something else... might be of use for getting the apps on your new phone that you want.

Sideload Android apps all you want with the Sideload Wonder Machine | Android Central

Never used it, but there are some comments about AT&T stopping you from putting certain apps on your phone. I'm in the UK and have full use of market so not had to look at alternatives, but hey information is never a bad thing to have.

5. NaplesBill

NaplesBill Well-Known Member

I also replaced a Captivate with an X10. The Captivate had so many issues and bugs it just wasn't worth risking that Samsung would resolve them all (that would be a first for them).

I much prefer the X10 look and feel and I'm glad to have physical buttons instead of the soft buttons on the Captivate. The OS build is much better as well.

On the side-loading topic, I just debranded my device and I now have native ability for non-market apps. I realize that not everyone is willing to debrand so the Sideload Wonder Machine is a good alternative.

Congrats and good luck with your new device.

6. gunny5821

Well folks I have had my X10 for a little over 24 hours now. FIRST Impressions:
    1. The build quality is just awesome! This is the best built phone on AT&T (Excluding the iPhone). I am so glad I returned my other phone and order my X10! AWESOME!
    2. The SE UI over the android is not as bad as I thought it might be. It is actually pretty slick and stands on it own, as it should. Since Launcher Pro is not available on this Android OS version, I tried out ADW, which is not that bad, but I'm going to give the SE UI a chance.
    3. The Speed. This is rather zippy and I have not noticed any lag whats so ever.
    4. Display. Awesome! It is fantastic and will only get better with future android releases.
    5. The Battery is actually not bad. I charged it up overnight and it has been unplugged since 1100 hours. I have been downloading apps from the market, setting things up, basically, messing around with it all day and it is at 53% right now. That is pretty darn good in my book!
    6. GPS (For all of you former Captivate fans), is faster than I could blink. I started up an app called "GPS Status" and I had 6 satellite's found and locked onto within 5 seconds! It was fast and dead on accurate! Just thought I would throw that out there, you all know what I mean, LOL!

I did check to see if there were any upgrades or downloads available from SE support and there were none available. My phone had the current OS with changes already installed. So, that's a quick 24 hour observation. Stay tuned for further updates..