X10 fails to power up with SD cardSupport

Last Updated:

1. taher

taher Member This Topic's Starter

I need some help desparately.
    I am in Libya and I took my X10 to the SonyErricson shop to get the local sim working and GBP 60 later they managed to stuff the phone. The local sim now works but but the phone is useless as it does not power up When I put the SD card in. The authorised shop started speaking in Arabic telling me they could not help. I suspect they did not do a good job unlocking it or screwed up the os somehow.

I tried to use the "Update Service" software and this says: "Failed to Detect Product"

I have a catch 22 situtation as I cant power up and I cant use the phone without the sd card.

I just want to reset the os so I can get back to defaults.

Any help would be appriciated.

Advertisement
  2. taher

PC companion will not connect either as I cant get the USB Connect because I dont have a sd card installed.
    aaarrrgh.....

3. taher

PC companion will not connect either as I cant get the USB Connect because I dont have a sd card installed.
    aaarrrgh.....

4. Gurba

Gurba Well-Known Member

If you can connect it to a PC you can try to re-flash it with SEUS, Sony Ericsson Update Service whitch can be downloaded from the SE homepage.

taher likes this.
  5. taher

I did the SEUS and this was successful but the minute I plug in the SD card I have the same problem - failure to power up.

The shop whilst attempting to Debranded the phone screwed up something big time. So back to square one. Since Debranding the warrantee is now lost there is only one option....

I think the phone is going into the bin unless someone smarter than me wants to offer me some money for it.

I am on my way to another shop to sped 20 pounds on a simple Mickey Mouse Nokia !

Many Thanks for the assistance Gurba !!!

6. Bexy

Bexy Well-Known Member

Have you got another sd card you could try in it?
    I presume it loads/powers up fine with no SD card in?
    If you have another one, or can get another one, that would at least clarify if it's a problem with the way the phone reads the sim, or if there's a problem there. Or if it's actually the SD card which is the problem. I have an SD card which used to switch one of my older phones off when I tried to access it/certain media.

taher likes this.
  7. taher

Bexy
    Thanks for the suggestion. I have now tried another SD card and the same problem. So it must be the SD card reader in the phone. Its proably the driver that is screwed.

8. Gurba

Gurba Well-Known Member

Have you tried rooting the phone?

9. taher

Gruba
    Woooow I read the Benefits of Rooting thread by Powerkiter and I got really scared !!!

Rocket science... and how can you be thinking of rooting just before sleeping Bexy ???

I have been into software and toys for big boys since 1975 and now I just turns me off... I realise that you guys get all excited and have the time to follow your passion the X10. I just dont have the time. I get 6 hrs sleep a night if I am lucky and the day is just too busy. I need a phone that will just give me the calls, browsing, sms and pick up emails without any hassel. So the phone is now a Brick to me !

I dont mean to diss you guys and am really greatfull for the help :)

So the offer is there for anyone who wants to buy a brick for half the price or just make me an offer. Buy the way the phone is just 4 weeks old !

10. taher

PS: I dont understand how rooting will solve the problem with the SD card preventing the phone from pwering up ?

I am not getting hooked into rooting.... just curious :confused:

11. Bexy

Bexy Well-Known Member

Rooting was gonna be my next suggestion too. I dont know if it would help though but, I did it yesterday (i do lots of things before sleeping but, i did wait to do my x10 till i was more awake/had more time) and it downgraded it from 020 to 016 firmware before rooting and upgrading to 023. I'm wondering if, it'll fix the driver or summit for the SD card.
    If I had the money, I'd buy it off you, I'd love to fiddle with it trying to get it to work :eek:.

Or instead of rooting it, you could try the first step of the root which just installs 016 firmware, without rooting and see if that helps. As I think, based on the process, you would need access to the memory card and it'll more than likely be step 1 that could get you up and running, also wouldn't take very long. Less than 10 mins if you have a 32bit operating system, and only a few more minutes if you've got a 64 bit OS.

The only other thing I can suggest but, would rather not, is see if the guys who did it, can fix it. I've had problems before with shops doing summit but, messing it completely up (one of my old phones, some guys changed the case and the camera stopped working...three weeks till i got it back and only did because i said i was going away so needed it, then magically it was back and fixed).

12. Gurba

Gurba Well-Known Member

Rooting is no biggie. If you can't get the phone working just keep it until you have a little time to spare.

How much is half price? If it's cheap enough I'll buy it and try to fix it. :)